Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: CrosuS Wants Starcraft Mods
CrosuS Wants Starcraft Mods
Jun 10 2008, 9:46 pm
By: Monique  

Jun 11 2008, 11:03 am IskatuMesk Post #21

Lord of the Locker Room

Well, perhaps if you had come to the community about 3 or so years earlier you would find more support. Starcraft modding is virtually dead save some smaller projects circulating this site. You'll find something big if you look hard enough, but all of the grand-scale projects are either dead or gathering dust in a cubby somewhere. Many are not even available anymore unless you ask the right people, and even then their authors are generally long-gone so acquiring about distribution suddenly becomes a very complicated matter.

All I can say is, good luck. Because you're going to need it.

You have a paycheck for this? Well, I guess that explains it. As long as you get paid, all is well. ;)

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 11 2008, 11:12 am Monique Post #22

I'm a community manager at Isotx, which is actually a video gaming company. This interface and database are for non-profit reasons, a side project we've been developing for a while with extra funds. It's been a fun ride, especially watching it grow--I'd do this forum trolling for free, and sort of am, because my actual job entails a lot of press releases, editing, and managing of other aspects :P Really fun job though, cause playing games for a living is awesome.

I get SC modding is not what it used to be, but it's an element I'd love to have featured in our application. Not the sole element, but an element. I love Starcraft, personally, and I'd like to encourage it, especially in the wake of SC2.

None.

Jun 11 2008, 11:15 am IskatuMesk Post #23

Lord of the Locker Room

You're not a troll until you graduate from my trolling school. You're doing a pretty lousy job of enraging me at the moment so I think you need to try a bit harder. ;) Trolling is an art not to be taken lightly.

Well, honestly, even the tiny bit of activity here outweighs the complete deadness of Warcraft 3. With sc2, who knows. I for one am retired. I know the big regulars of this place are mostly retired as well. I don't usually post or visit this place often, but yeah.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 11 2008, 11:21 am Monique Post #24

Actually, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of not enraging you! I'm being diplomatic or something :)

Anyway, have a good day. And to anyone else reading, sorry for the wall of text.

None.

Jun 11 2008, 11:24 am IskatuMesk Post #25

Lord of the Locker Room

Oh, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige. Any chance to read the sacred offerings of a female.

As for a good day... it's 4am. You're only hardcore when you are nocturnal.

Jun 11 2008, 11:30 am Monique Post #26

Been up all night and all of yesterday--I'm hardcore enough. I have to take a final in four hours.

And I'm not really a female. You saw through my clever disguise of sexuality for uploads. My real name is Bob, I'm a postal worker, and I'm 58. We should hook up, or something. :unsure:

None.

Jun 11 2008, 11:32 am IskatuMesk Post #27

Lord of the Locker Room

That would be splendid. I always love it when the mailman passes by and gives a wink or two. I even throw out a red carpet for him.

/e You hear that sound? That is the sound of a locomotive crashing into an outhouse at half the speed of light.

Professionalism. Live it. Breathe it. Behold its power.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2008, 11:42 am by IskatuMesk.

Jun 11 2008, 3:39 pm bajadulce Post #28

Sounds great.. LONG LIVE SC!

http://www.broodwarai.com
We specialize in SINGLE PLAYER supported mods.. i.e ones that you can play vs. the computer. Our forum is also 100% open source. If there's something there you like, feel free to redistribute it.

None.

Jun 11 2008, 5:25 pm Fisty Post #29

Quote from IskatuMesk
I'm against anyone disturbing my mods anywhere without my permission for many reasons, not the least of which desiring some degree of control over such distribution and keeping my fanbase, however large or small it may be, in one place. Throwing anything onto moddb-wannabe downloaded clients does nothing to help me. I don't make mods for download counters.
I support you on this, for all of the same reasons.

None.

Jun 11 2008, 5:35 pm Monique Post #30

Just so everyone knows, we're a mod AND map application/database at this time, so if you're a mapper, we're interested in you as well. I'm sorry if this wasn't clearer.

Baja, thanks for the support. I took a look at your site--good stuff :)

None.

Aug 5 2008, 9:19 am Hercanic Post #31

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear Monique:
I find your premise interesting, though CrosuS doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Maybe it's just me. =oP The main issue that concerns me is the incentive system. It's great that you're giving back, but by being based on volume people will be encouraged to violate the wishes of the original authors. I know you want to build up your databse quickly and completely, but people profiting from the work of others doesn't sit well. I would rather see the real authors rewarded, not just someone who submits them without permission. Verifying authorship certainly wouldn't be easy, though, especially when money is involved to grease the tongue of any morally-insensitive individuals.

Viewing the browser-based list, a few things stick out to me. One, lack of a Game column. There is nothing telling me what game these mods are for unless mentioned in the description. Two, the Genre and Category dropdown under the Search field are both the same exact thing, though Genre has more. Seems silly.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 5 2008, 9:32 am by Hercanic.

Aug 5 2008, 6:59 pm BiOAtK Post #32

Does isotx sponser map/modmakers?

None.

Options
  Back to forum