Just Starting
Apr 28 2008, 8:57 pm
By: Crackhead
Pages: < 1 2 3

May 8 2008, 2:58 am pneumatic Post #41

the difference in our worldviews is striking.

None.

May 8 2008, 3:25 am Kenoli Post #42

Quote from devilesk
SCMD2 is popular and useful not just for it's features that make the map "flashy" but for it's features that allow for easier map creation. The example I used before was the grid feature. Another feature is the trigger editor. These features have nothing to do with making a map "flashly". As I've said before, the resulting map created in either StarEdit or SCMD2 would be the same; however, with SCMD2 you're able to get to the resulting map much more easily and accurately. From the perspective of the person playing the map they would have no idea what editor the map was made in. Many of these features are solely for helping the process of mapmaking.
SCMD2 is also useful because it doesn't include the needless restrictions that Staredit has, such as limiting the number of doodads you can place, limiting the number of "create units with properties" actions you can make, limiting the number of strings you can make, hiding many of the AI Scripts, and others.

None.

May 8 2008, 6:07 am Heimdal Post #43

I remember when "flashy map" meant 2x1 square terrain (isom.exe, anyone?) and color characters copied from a text file and pasted into StarEdit.

None.

May 8 2008, 2:32 pm fritfrat Post #44

A flashy map was MTG £nigma for having a player with black units :P First map I remember with square terrain was Monster Rancher (I have one last edited 1/2000), does anyone know anything before that one? I don't have my downloaded maps from before late 1999, either, so meh about the dates

To technically stay on topic, I still think someone just starting out should make their first map use regular staredit just to know what it's like, since they wouldn't know how to use all the more advanced stuff in SCMDraft anyways :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 8 2008, 2:37 pm by fritfrat(U).

None.

May 8 2008, 2:43 pm NudeRaider Post #45

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:fritfrat(U)
since they wouldn't know how to use all the more advanced stuff in SCMDraft anyways :P
or end up doing illegal stuff and freaking out because nothing works. ;)

May 8 2008, 3:27 pm rockz Post #46

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

A flashy map was MTG £nigma for having a player with black units :P First map I remember with square terrain was Monster Rancher (I have one last edited 1/2000), does anyone know anything before that one? I don't have my downloaded maps from before late 1999, either, so meh about the dates

To technically stay on topic, I still think someone just starting out should make their first map use regular staredit just to know what it's like, since they wouldn't know how to use all the more advanced stuff in SCMDraft anyways :P
Kyprion Pact had extended units and was out in '99, I think. Then Vinzalf died.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 8 2008, 6:51 pm Demented Shaman Post #47

Quote from NudeRaider
since they wouldn't know how to use all the more advanced stuff in SCMDraft anyways :P
They'd have to learn anyway once they move up to SCMD2. A knowledge of the basics doesn't give you knowledge of how to do the extra stuff and what's illegal in doing that stuff.

None.

May 8 2008, 7:44 pm NudeRaider Post #48

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:devilesk
Quote from NudeRaider
They'd have to learn anyway once they move up to SCMD2. A knowledge of the basics doesn't give you knowledge of how to do the extra stuff and what's illegal in doing that stuff.
Yeah, and you learned to fly before you learned to walk.
Do you think anyone can USE your pointless arguments?

May 8 2008, 9:16 pm pneumatic Post #49

I hear that.

here's a list of early maps I have with extended features. the dates just refer to when I downloaded them, so they could have been released earlier:

project tartarus - 9/1998:
protected, extended terrain, extended doodads

nuke tutorial by terran marine - 2/1999:
AI brood wars terran 2 - town A; AI nuke here

zelda 3 - 7/1999:
extra units, protected

dragonlance rpg vs14a - 8/1999:
placed spells (dark swarm and disruption field), placed and triggered cocoons

Alamara - 9/1999:
protected, mineral chunks[not renamed]

dance of demons - 9/1999:
protected, mineral chunks[not renamed], more than 3 upgrade levels

there was also The_Dream_Chasers_RPG - 5/1998 and virtual battlefield - 10/1999 which had extended doodads, but they could just be obsolete. not sure about those. SCMDraft2 matches sprites to doodads for The Dream Chasers, but not for Virtual Battlefield, even though there are doodads in the latter also. anyone know why?

(random fact: with all the pre-dance of demons protected maps, you can actually see the minimap before the editor closes the file.)

it was in the first two months of 2000 when I downloaded a bunch of maps with extended features, such as zone control and king's quest and chrono trigger and demon incubus. that's when it really took off, I guess. chrono trigger and king's quest were the maps that sparked my fascination for extended features.

it's also amazing how few triggers those earliest maps have.

None.

May 8 2008, 11:50 pm Demented Shaman Post #50

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from NudeRaider
You can learn to walk in SCMD2. You want to make an actual argument instead of posting empty statements?

None.

May 9 2008, 8:21 am NudeRaider Post #51

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from NudeRaider
You can learn to walk in SCMD2. You want to make an actual argument instead of posting empty statements?
OMG, we're running in circles. When he'd try to walk in SCMD2 he might
Quote from NudeRaider
end up doing illegal stuff and freaking out because nothing works. ;)

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum