Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: How much are people worth?
How much are people worth?
Sep 5 2007, 12:51 am
By: PwnPirate
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Sep 6 2007, 5:26 pm Sael Post #21

$2.8 million lolz. I'd give up my life as a slave for that amount of money.

None.

Sep 6 2007, 7:22 pm Zycorax Post #22

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

People are worth very, very much, or... nothing. Depends on how you think.
imo all living creatures are worth the same; except mosquitos, they ain't worth anything no matter what :-_-:

Sep 6 2007, 7:45 pm Dapperdan Post #23

$2,986,590 here. ^^ Although I didn't the time into it all... like the genius test and some other one... but I made sure not to overscore myself much if at all. :D

None.

Sep 6 2007, 10:41 pm Dr. Shotgun Post #24

Quote from Doktor Shotgun
Humans are worth nothing.

Quote from BeDazed
I hope to see no more groundless statements like that, please. So how are humans worth nothing? Are you worth nothing? So if you had been killed by accident, would others not care for you? Maybe in correct definition of your 'human', it must mean ONLY you.

Nothing is worth anything inherently, humans give things value. Therefore, humans (as a collective), are worth nothing, as they are the agents of determining value.
Although, on an individual basis, you can't really give people a value.

None.

Sep 6 2007, 11:15 pm PwnPirate Post #25

If something determines value, why would it not be able to determine it's own value?

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:06 am l3lack-l3ahamut Post #26

I must have missed something I'm only worth $1,585,272 :flamer:

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:19 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #27

You are worth exactly $2,642,256.

I was pretty modest, too :)

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:23 am l3lack-l3ahamut Post #28

Maybe it is because I dont drink enough lolz

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:42 am PwnPirate Post #29

Ok, you've had your fun with the survey, it's time to get back on the topic now.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:49 am Akar Post #30

well.. I believe that you can't put any price tag on a human being, other than that of another human.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 3:01 am R.I.S.K Post #31

hmm... this is like having a supercomputer calculate its own value... the only problem is that humans control the program that the super computer runs. how could we compare humans calculating the value of themselves to another thing calculating its own value?

None.

Sep 7 2007, 3:24 am Demented Shaman Post #32

Quote from R.I.S.K
hmm... this is like having a supercomputer calculate its own value... the only problem is that humans control the program that the super computer runs. how could we compare humans calculating the value of themselves to another thing calculating its own value?
Quote from PwnPirate
If something determines value, why would it not be able to determine it's own value?
It would be able to determine it's own value. However, value itself is arbitrary, and you can determine value based on an "infinite" number of things. For example the survey Tux posted does value humans apparently based on those finite set of questions. However, you could include more variables, use less, or also vary the worth of one variable in relation to another.
Do you believe certain people have more overall value than others (as in they have more of a right to live)?
If so, what traits exactly define the "value" of a person?
If not, do you believe everyone should be treated the same?
Here's how those three questions should be answered:
1. Yes.
2. Impossible. Too many different traits to take into account to define an exact value.
3. No. Once again too many variables in the people and circumstances and events.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 7 2007, 3:33 am by devilesk.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 4:04 am AntiSleep Post #33

Total: $2,490,426

None.

Sep 7 2007, 4:29 am R.I.S.K Post #34

why do you believe that certain people have more overall value than others, devilesk?

None.

Sep 7 2007, 4:34 am Demented Shaman Post #35

Well at first I said no, but then I thought about it. People are inherently different, and differences mean there has to be variations in skill and stuff between any two people. That leads to differences in overall value. I also thought about survival of the fittest as a setting where if everyone was left to fend for themselves with nothing then the ones who survive must have some attribute that has lead to that, therefore being valued more. Also, I'm assuming overall value in general and trying to view it objectively. Value is arbitrary and each person values things differently.

I think when discussing value it should always be in terms of specific traits and in relation to other things.

I just had another thought. Let's say value is defined as the sum of all possible traits/variables/characteristics etc. Assuming there's an infinite number of those to take into account when trying to measure the value of anything, then everything is equal, because it's infinity.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 8:24 am AfterLifeLochie Post #36

Exactly.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 1:59 pm AntiSleep Post #37

To be accurate, worth varies with respect to goals, the goals are arbitrary, the value with respect to the goal is not.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 2:03 pm AntiSleep Post #38

Quote from devilesk
Assuming there's an infinite number of those to take into account when trying to measure the value of anything, then everything is equal, because it's infinity.
That is wrong, haven't you learned about limits?
the limit as x approaches infinity of 2x/x is not infinity, it is 2. when comparing an infinite to an infinite, coefficients matter.

None.

Sep 7 2007, 11:24 pm Demented Shaman Post #39

I was assuming there was no limit.

To be accurate, worth varies with respect to goals, the goals are arbitrary, the value with respect to the goal is not.
Even if the values are not arbitrary it's like comparing apples and oranges. How can you compare two different values to eachother? There's no system of measurement for "value".

None.

Sep 7 2007, 11:27 pm Dr. Shotgun Post #40

The problem is if you use an arbitrary, undebatable set of goals in order to determine value, the meaning of value becomes useless.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum