Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: How much are people worth?
How much are people worth?
Sep 5 2007, 12:51 am
By: PwnPirate
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Sep 8 2007, 3:37 am PwnPirate Post #41

I just had another thought. Let's say value is defined as the sum of all possible traits/variables/characteristics etc. Assuming there's an infinite number of those to take into account when trying to measure the value of anything, then everything is equal, because it's infinity.
It's certainly finite, just very large.

None.

Sep 8 2007, 3:41 am Demented Shaman Post #42

Quote from PwnPirate
I just had another thought. Let's say value is defined as the sum of all possible traits/variables/characteristics etc. Assuming there's an infinite number of those to take into account when trying to measure the value of anything, then everything is equal, because it's infinity.
It's certainly finite, just very large.
I doubt that it can be certainly said to be finite. Anything left up to the imagination can be used as something to base value on.

None.

Sep 8 2007, 6:18 am R.I.S.K Post #43

human imagination is finite, however, because human imagination is based on the variables given to us. a good imagination is just the ability to use the variables together and in different ways that people wouldn't normally use them in, such as wearing bright red and bright yellow to a funeral.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 1:34 am Demented Shaman Post #44

What if there's an infinite number of variables?

None.

Sep 9 2007, 3:29 am PwnPirate Post #45

Well that might be true in the future, but right now we can only absorb a finite amount of variables, because we can't process an infinite amount.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 3:39 am Demented Shaman Post #46

Well then that just means true value can't be calculated I suppose, because its so large.

Like solving chess.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 4:35 am R.I.S.K Post #47

Chess can be solved, we just havent figured it out yet. All you need is a program that tests a move, than another move, then another move, etc. until endgame. Then it goes back one move and does a different move, until endgame. Then after it has done all possible moves for the last move, it goes back 2 moves, then 1 move, until endgame. That goes on until you have tested every single string of moves possible.

Infinite variables... I would assume this is true, because a location can be infinitely small. You can count infinitely high. Therefore, disincluding infinite variables or setting limits upon them, the human imagination is finite, therefore, everything has a different value.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 4:53 am Demented Shaman Post #48

Quote from R.I.S.K
Chess can be solved, we just havent figured it out yet. All you need is a program that tests a move, than another move, then another move, etc. until endgame. Then it goes back one move and does a different move, until endgame. Then after it has done all possible moves for the last move, it goes back 2 moves, then 1 move, until endgame. That goes on until you have tested every single string of moves possible.
You missed the point. I know it "can" be solved, but the point is that the number of possible arrangements of pieces on the board is so incredibly big there's no computer we have now that can process all of that in a reasonable amount of time. I was comparing that to calculating something's true variable based on an infinite or huge set of finite variables.

However, it is my fault for the misunderstanding. Instead of saying "it can't be calculated" I should have elaborated.

Hey off topic but checkers was recently solved, lulz.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 5:01 am R.I.S.K Post #49

woah seriously? can i have a link? i gotta memorize that...

so we agree that human value is theoretically possible to calculate, it is just beyond the reach of current human technology? what do we call this... myth busted?

None.

Sep 9 2007, 5:05 am Demented Shaman Post #50

Yea, checkers is the most complicated game ever solved so far. I first read about it in a science news weekly magazine article.

There's some info at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkers#History

None.

Sep 10 2007, 5:16 am SteamBoy Post #51

Animal's according to PETA have the right to live then us humans. so I guess no one has a right to live! if PETA was controlling the world haha! damn PETA!!

I believe Everyone of course has the right to live, and no one is of less value. Their Decisions make them of less value. Such as using drugs.

I do believe in the death penalty though.

None.

Sep 10 2007, 6:15 am MasterJohnny Post #52

If you were buying human in a chemisty store...i would 30 dollars(USD) in all its broken down compounds of carbon and water and ect

I am a Mathematician

Sep 10 2007, 3:20 pm AntiSleep Post #53

If we aren't supposed to eat people, why are they made of meat?!

None.

Nov 19 2007, 6:24 pm Viii_iiiV Post #54

Life is very, very, worthless.
Its qualifications and money which matter.
I'm worth $2,747,944 in that, BUT THEY GAVE ME 0 FOR MY INCOME? I mean what kind of Communists are they?

None.

Nov 19 2007, 6:37 pm TristanOfVP Post #55

I heard the average American life is worth $10,000,000 and yes, you can be sold if you have a birth certificate. A birth certificate is basically a contract saying your life belongs to the US government and it can be sold. Birth certificates originated from the days of slavery and it was a form of contrat back then and is still is now.

None.

Nov 19 2007, 6:41 pm Viii_iiiV Post #56

Actually, all the chemicals inside your body are only worth $6.25.
So, the physical value of anyone is just $6.25 - the only reason we're worth anything is because making humans is somewhat difficult (for a machine).

None.

Nov 19 2007, 6:58 pm TristanOfVP Post #57

I said life, not the componets of a body.

None.

Nov 19 2007, 7:18 pm Viii_iiiV Post #58

Quote from TristanOfVP
I said life, not the componets of a body.

What is life, except for the exact way the monocles/atoms/stuff/whatever are aligned in the brain?

None.

Nov 19 2007, 9:12 pm TristanOfVP Post #59

Quote from Viii_iiiV
What is life, except for the exact way the monocles/atoms/stuff/whatever are aligned in the brain?
That's like saying a sports car is worth $200 because it's just a bunch of metal, or saying a house is worth $20,000 because that's all it costs to make. What things cost and what things are worth are two different things.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 19 2007, 9:35 pm by Merrell. Reason: No need to flame

None.

Nov 19 2007, 9:22 pm Demented Shaman Post #60

Quote from Viii_iiiV
Life is very, very, worthless.
Its qualifications and money which matter.
I'm worth $2,747,944 in that, BUT THEY GAVE ME 0 FOR MY INCOME? I mean what kind of Communists are they?
I LYK BUMPIN TO MUNTH OLD THREDS

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum