Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Project Iron
Project Iron
Mar 25 2008, 3:46 pm
By: Ardis
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Nov 23 2008, 1:15 am Fisty Post #61

Quote from name:Killer_Kow
Quote from name:Deathman101
As far as I know that would be impossible.

On the contrary, it's kind of possible. Immediately upon reading it I came up with far-fetched ways to do it. It's kind of possible, but it would interfere with so many other aspects of the mod that it probably wouldn't be feasible to include.
What I meant by "impossible" was that you couldn't automate it, even if it is possible.

None.

Nov 23 2008, 2:21 am Corbo Post #62

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Let me see if I got this straight. By "impossible" you meant that it is possible? Am I right?

On topic, I'd do this with tons of overlays to show the "link" between units.

fuck you all

Nov 23 2008, 2:40 am A_of-s_t Post #63

aka idmontie

You could do it via a plugin that finds all the points (in a line) between two selected units and find all units that lie in this line and do damage to these units. It might take a while to code, but its possible. The main problem would be to find the line between the two units.

Concept idea:
Find out the two linked units' ID.
Go to their respective X and Y data.
Find the line between them.
Expand this line to +/- 2 from it.
Search all other X and Y data sets for any values within this line.
Go to these unit's health data and subract from it.
If zero, give the unit the death order.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Nov 23 2008, 5:22 am Generalpie Post #64

Staredit Puckwork

Hey, i dont make the mods, i just think of them. ;)

maybe try a Special kind of unit that disrupts detectors. also if you look at the unit, your screen gets a little blurry and static like.

None.

Nov 23 2008, 8:24 pm A_of-s_t Post #65

aka idmontie

Quote from Generalpie
maybe try a Special kind of unit that disrupts detectors. also if you look at the unit, your screen gets a little blurry and static like.
I don' think that's possible...

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Nov 23 2008, 8:59 pm Generalpie Post #66

Staredit Puckwork

i thought anything was possible in modding? if not then try to do a trigger in which its a moveable grid and that it blinds all detectors in range. use an EUD trigger to detect the screen position and make it shake violently if looked at.

None.

Nov 25 2008, 2:47 am A_of-s_t Post #67

aka idmontie

Quote from Generalpie
i thought anything was possible in modding? if not then try to do a trigger in which its a moveable grid and that it blinds all detectors in range. use an EUD trigger to detect the screen position and make it shake violently if looked at.
I guess with a plugin, you could add the hex code for blinded into any detector around the unit, but how would you remove it? You can't remove the the blinded property from units not within range, because then you can't use blinded as a spell.

Shaking the screen position would just be annoying...

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Nov 26 2008, 12:34 am Generalpie Post #68

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from A_of-s_t
Quote from Generalpie
I guess with a plugin, you could add the hex code for blinded into any detector around the unit, but how would you remove it? You can't remove the the blinded property from units not within range, because then you can't use blinded as a spell.

Shaking the screen position would just be annoying...

So, bad idea huh? well, no surprise there. most of the ideas that i put out are thought of on the spot.

How abput a unit that kills injects itself into other units, then the unit becomes yours. after a while though, the unit dies.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 1:26 am ForTheSwarm Post #69

You'd probably need a duplicate of each unit with the timer energy for that.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 1:46 pm A_of-s_t Post #70

aka idmontie

Quote from Generalpie
How abput a unit that kills injects itself into other units, then the unit becomes yours. after a while though, the unit dies.
That would be a little hard to code. You'd need to mimic the mind control ability (or... no really) and then scan units for the right sig order and when they use it, kill the unit. You would then need to find the unit that was min controlled (That would be a bit harder) and put a timer on it, and when that timer hits zero, kill it.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Nov 26 2008, 7:44 pm Symmetry Post #71

Dungeon Master

Quote from A_of-s_t
Quote from Generalpie
That would be a little hard to code. You'd need to mimic the mind control ability (or... no really) and then scan units for the right sig order and when they use it, kill the unit. You would then need to find the unit that was min controlled (That would be a bit harder) and put a timer on it, and when that timer hits zero, kill it.

Not necessarily. It might be possible another way... I'll look into it a little later.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Nov 26 2008, 8:22 pm ForTheSwarm Post #72

Couldn't you do something like this for the Iscript coding of the unit? Then it would die after casting the spell. Of course, that would have to be its only spell or else it would die after each one.

SomethingCastSpell:
castspell x
goto SomethingDeath

None.

Nov 27 2008, 5:44 am Hercanic Post #73

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear GeneralPie:
Modding Starcraft is limited, except for the few who are knowledgable enough to program plugins and can dissect Starcraft's unlabeled and unknown offsets. For everyone else, a big part of learning to mod Starcraft is learning the limitations of it and meeting the challenge of those limitations with creative solutions. Random ideas are easy, but new ideas that are actually possible within Starcraft -- now that's the trick.

Feb 20 2009, 2:04 am Ardis Post #74

Okay, sorry for the absence, I do that from time to time. Right now I'm rescaling all of the sprites to a new scaling system that leaves all of the ships close enough. Previously I had the ships scaled to the point where the fighters were bigger than the bridges of my capital ships, not letting that happen anymore. I think the redone Selveris sprite turned out okay, but I still get some color problems when turn them into .GRP files.

Also, I haven't even touched Arr Edit or FireGraft yet for this revised version of the mod. I'm almost done with the spreadsheets of the units stats and abilities and if I get it done soon, I might post it here. I won't even re-install those tools until the spreadsheet is done (had to reformat my computer recently, don't worry, no important files were lost)

None.

Feb 25 2009, 9:26 pm Ardis Post #75

Hmm... An odd little idea I had for the attacks of units. I wanted certain units to only fire a specific weapon on big targets and have a separate attack for smaller units. The resulting idea was to have all buildings and large units to be treated as land units for targeting purposes and small units to be labeled as flying units and script their attacks accordingly. So you didn't have bombers ONLY be useful against buildings, but now they are useful against buildings and capital ships. And so I don't have to choose between letting capital ships being able to use their big guns on other capital ships and fighters OR buildings only.

None.

Feb 26 2009, 7:20 pm bajadulce Post #76

nice models. You should use the img tag rather than the link tag tho. Users won't have to click those links just to view your nice images.

Good luck w/ your project. My advice would be to shoot for small goals in terms of bringing all of this together as you have a very ambitious agenda.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 4:00 am m.0.n.3.y Post #77

ok wow, you're fucking skilled and such, this thing looks damn awsome!!! yeah!!
dude i wana play this and you are awsome umm, whats the word... animation designer guy thing.
gj man and i can't wait for it to come out
:uberw00t: :thumbup:

None.

Mar 14 2009, 5:10 am Ardis Post #78

Honestly, I don't think they're THAT good. I don't even have textures on them. I guess the big problem I'm having right now is motivating myself to actually work on it seeing as I'm starting from scratch. Currently I have some of the new buildings under work, but I have to re-learn Iscripting to make new scripts for each of my new units because they're all ships now.

Also, if it weren't for the fact that this starting from scratch was the result of my original files being destroyed, I would release the old version of the mod for you guys to see what I had so far.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum