Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: AI Control Question
AI Control Question
Mar 7 2008, 7:59 pm
By: Polantaris  

Mar 7 2008, 7:59 pm Polantaris Post #1

On the map I am making, I want the ability to have computers on it so that if you are not going to be playing with 8 players, you can still have them. In it, you get a random unit and send it out to kill other players' random units and try to get the highest kill counter in the time limit. I have several ways I think I can do AI, but I don't know which is best.

1) AI Script: Random Suicide Missions.:
I can set the AI to go on a random suicide mission whenever it has a unit.

2) Roaming:
I know that there is a way to get AI to just randomly roam. I don't know how, but that's also an option.

3) Patrol:
I could have the computer patrol between certain locations, but that would cause a problem if all the AIs were patrolling at once in a line and never passing each other.

4) Any other suggestions?

None.

Mar 9 2008, 7:17 am Kainami Post #2

I think this is in the wrong section. Someone move it?

Random Suicide Mission would probably be best because the computer actually go towards each other, instead of walking around, making the game go faster.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 9 2008, 11:09 am by Kainami.

None.

Mar 9 2008, 7:51 am Ryan Post #3

How about helping the guy as well instead of just saying how it's in the wrong forum?

I think random suicide would be cheap, because the computer would be going directly towards the player. Unless that's what you want, anyways.

Roaming is called "Junkyard Dog", if you're using SCMDraft 2, go to Run AI Script at Location, then select "Set Unit Order to: Junkyard Dog". If you're using StarEdit, go get SCMDraft 2 at stormcoast-fortress.net. I don't think the computers will attack on sight using this method though, you'd have to attack them before they fight back.

I wouldn't choose patrolling personally, but that's just because I don't like units going in straight lines as a form of "roaming".

But yeah, if you need help with triggering go to "UMS Map Making Assistance". Map Production is to show off a map that you're making.

None.

Mar 9 2008, 1:44 pm lil-Inferno Post #4

Just here for the pie

Random Suicide Missions works the best, unless of course you don't have vision of the whole arena, because the computers will automatically know where the player is.

P.S. How do you plan to achieve having 8 players and possibly 7 computers if you're playing by yourself. . .Neutral units won't attack and nor will P9-255 :O .

Options
  Back to forum