Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: [SOLVED] File that gets modified only during an update?
[SOLVED] File that gets modified only during an update?
Dec 24 2022, 7:23 pm
By: NiceNowIHaveAName  

Dec 24 2022, 7:23 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #1

Hi! Does anyone know one file that gets modified every time an update takes place for SC:R, but doesn't get modified until next update?

I would find this out myself, but I had to reinstall SC few days ago.

Thanks!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 28 2022, 1:00 pm by NiceNowIHaveAName.

None.

Dec 24 2022, 9:00 pm IlyaSnopchenko Post #2

The Curious

Starcraft.exe? :-) Or do you mean inside the data archive? Maybe there is a version file somewhere inside.

And it's been a while since any SCR update that made any meaningful modifications, I think.

Trial and error... mostly error.

Dec 24 2022, 9:41 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #3

I'm not sure if every time Starcraft.exe gets modified by an update, especially if there's a minor update, where the map pool is being updated only.

I need to find out the date an update occurred, as I don't think Liquipedia keeps track of all kind of updates. But you got me an idea to look within the files and look for the version of SC. I wonder, could I find out when a Windows registry was modified, because I think I saw the version there one time. I'll have to google for that.

Thanks for suggestion! :)

Edit:
A, I found that thing related to registries. I'll have to have a look at it tomorrow.

If it works, I'm still curious about what file gets modified under my constraints. :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 24 2022, 9:47 pm by NiceNowIHaveAName.

None.

Dec 28 2022, 12:59 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #4

Given the current version of Starcraft, 1.23.10.11269, there are 2 registries that contain the version number, but they get modified pretty often.

As for a file that contains the version number, I found this:

Then I kept looking for "build-name =", which returned these files:

Looking at the modified date for each file, I noticed that the file with the date of 08-Sep-2022 (having version 1.23.10.11026), aka 2022-09-08, is one day after (2022-09-07) the release of patch 1.23.10 that Liquipedia indicates.

So, it seems that every time Starcraft gets updated a new alphanumeric file is created at the path starting with "C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft\Data\config\", containing the Stacraft version.

None.

Dec 28 2022, 4:27 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #5

One more thing, could you guys help me out by telling me when Starcraft was updated to 1.23.10.11269 for you?

Thanks!

None.

Dec 29 2022, 11:14 am IlyaSnopchenko Post #6

The Curious

IDK, the files in my SC folder have the 2022-12-06 datestamp but I may not have updated right away. I'm still leery of an update breaking something like it often happened in the early to mid days of SC:R, so I'm waiting for "volunteers" to try a new version first. :D

Trial and error... mostly error.

Dec 29 2022, 12:38 pm NudeRaider Post #7

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

One more thing, could you guys help me out by telling me when Starcraft was updated to 1.23.10.11269 for you?

Thanks!
how do I tell?

Dec 29 2022, 2:02 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #8

Quote from IlyaSnopchenko
IDK, the files in my SC folder have the 2022-12-06 datestamp but I may not have updated right away. I'm still leery of an update breaking something like it often happened in the early to mid days of SC:R, so I'm waiting for "volunteers" to try a new version first. :D

I think 3-4 weeks ago there was a SC update, and I'm not sure it that broke some things for me and I might not be the only person if it indeed was the case. I'm saying this because about at the same time I started getting artefacts on the screen, similar to this one:

I noticed that happened either only while I was in SC or after I already quit SC, but it mostly happened when I was alt tabbing. The artefact would only go away after a PC restart, only restarting Windows Explorer wouldn't help. At this point I'm not 100% sure if it is
SC or the GPU, that's why I wanted to know when was SC last updated. Because if it wasn't updated in the last 3-4 weeks, then it means it's the GPU.

Although, from running tests on the GPU it seems there's no problem with it, the same is true with the OS. I also reinstalled SC the proper way, but the problem still persisted. I removed GPU and monitor drivers, but problem was still there. What I have not tried is to clean up the registries, but I'm not really willing to that since I might end up do more harm to the OS than being helpful.

I think I might've solved the problem by switching the SC renderer from DX11 do DX9, as I don't get those issues anymore. So if something is broken it is either how my GPU processes DX11 or how SC processes DX11. When I stress tested the GPU, I used DirectX 11, and there were no problems. Now I have only tested it for a couple of minutes, since I don't want to fry it as it's already old to say the least.

-------------------

Quote from NudeRaider

Thanks!
how do I tell?

Could you download AstroGrep (Windows), or any other program that lets you look for a string within files? Then use as the search path the path that contains "StarCraft\Data\config\", for me it was "C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft\Data\config\", and as the search text you should use 1.23.10.11269.

Once the results pop us, you should take a look at the date the alphanumeric file was last modified.
Like in this example:

None.

Dec 30 2022, 12:38 am NudeRaider Post #9

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

havent't updated to that version yet. :sorry:

Dec 30 2022, 8:36 am NiceNowIHaveAName Post #10

A, I see, no problem. Hmm, doesn't the game force you to update after some time?

Well, thanks to both of you for trying to help me out! :P

If there's anyone else out there wanting to help, you're more than welcome!

None.

Dec 31 2022, 4:04 pm NiceNowIHaveAName Post #11

Based on the first 2 links patch 1.23.10.11269 was released on 2022-12-01:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230103112238/https://blizztrack.com/view/s1?type=versions

https://web.archive.org/web/20230103113002/https://macupdater.net/app_updates/appinfo/com.blizzard.Starcraft/index.html

https://archive.ph/mAMCk

https://archive.ph/nLVqE

, so the issue must be with Starcraft.

Edit:
It seems there was a problem with archive.org when I tried saving the pages, and had to update the links.
I also added the archive.ph as as a backup.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 3 2023, 11:35 am by NiceNowIHaveAName.

None.

Options
  Back to forum