Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Spell Casting Help
Spell Casting Help
Jan 20 2008, 9:21 pm
By: Joshgt2  

Jan 27 2008, 12:56 pm pneumatic Post #21

Quote from Pyro682
-dude... Buildings pwn dropships- Dropships have a delay... The mouse is too important to be clicking down at the bottom of the screen and unloading units. Its needed by where the hero is, but the Buildings only require a quick Tap of the finger on a key. As for dragging the mouse hand over, you only need one hand to choose spell and all of that.

Definitely true, dropships have a short delay. But as for the clicking/keying, I'm thinking of maps where you'd want to cast a whole bunch of spells in quick succession. In this situation, since you're using spells instead of attack orders, you'd want to just keep your mouse by the wireframes the whole time. Of course, this is assuming the spells won't have any target/indicators, which is ironically exactly what this thread is about...

Another thing about dropships is it keeps the player in the dark about how many spells they are going to get, more so than buildings. You can also fit more in there. And you can label the spells using the units' names.

But maybe for Joshgt's purposes, using spells where you'd create a wraith or such for a targeting system, using building hotkeys would let you keep your mouse around your hero instead of having to move it up from the wireframe every time.

None.

Jan 27 2008, 3:57 pm Falkoner Post #22

What are you talking about Pyro? Dropships have about the same delay, and it takes less than 1/4 of a second to bring your mouse down and click, the only reason buildings even compare is because of 0 build time.

None.

Jan 27 2008, 3:59 pm NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Dude's you are bringing up suggestions that were already discussed:
Quote from Pyro682
If it doesnt, you can Switch the Conditions for the dark swarms... so you can have more than 1 player casting spells-

Like, have a gateway for the spell caster, and the defiler be the swarmer for the location. Have the filer swarm the spot- center location and remove. then cast the spell. If you have hyper triggers, 2 different players wont conflict with eachother. (same thing for corsairs- i would use a sair instead of a defiler because the defiler is a ground unit, and it doesnt conflict with the hero:which i think is a ground unit?:)
Quote from NudeRaider
But when you could determine who cast the spell by the owner of the defiler. That would mean however, that every spell will have to be delayed until the first player finished targetting. You would have to set a maximum aiming time.
That's not pretty, but the only way when dealing with dark swarms and heroes in the same location.l
But you gave me an idea about it:
You could first use a defiler for the aiming, then when another player wants to cast a spell while tho other is still aiming give the 2nd player a corsair. That way two players could aim at once, thus improving the dilemma a bit,

Quote from Pyro682
Well? Have several hatcheries?
Build an elaborate mobile grid around ur hero, with multiple hatcheries- each having a certain distance... like a radius?
That is even more complicated and more difficult to learn. And you need more hotkeys and cant really determine the exact radius in game.

And Razor, removing larvae even aggravates the problem of maybe too few larvae available to cast a spell (or place them by triggers, which disrupts hotkey-ing).

Quote from Pyro682
ACTUALLY
Ive got it!!!!
Have an arb some place far away, over water. Tell it to recall where it is. I think you might be able to get away with Centering a location over the Recall Sprite. Give it a shot, it might work-
No, you cannot detect it, nor can you center on it (not that it would help).

Quote from Pyro682
-dude... Buildings pwn dropships- Dropships have a delay... The mouse is too important to be clicking down at the bottom of the screen and unloading units. Its needed by where the hero is, but the Buildings only require a quick Tap of the finger on a key. As for dragging the mouse hand over, you only need one hand to choose spell and all of that.
Its true, dropships are a little slower, but its so little, that you can neglect it. It really comes down to personal playing style which is better. However his points (spellname, unknown # of spells) still have merit.
Josh should decide what he wants.

Jan 27 2008, 9:50 pm Joshgt2 Post #24

Here is what I think the best thing is to do for what I'm doing...

For Casting Spells
-Depending on the class, the player will have a Barracks, Factory, & a Starport to cast spells. Each class will have a Barracks for sure but the others are needed for the large number of spells I plan on having for some classes
-Hotkey #3 for the Barracks, #4 for the factory, and #5 for the starport for easy access without having to take your eye off of your class which would be fighting
-Since it is the basic of all units, the Marine would be used as the global 'Activate Lock System' as I so call it. Here is what I mean: You use spell #1 for example, which would be selecting the Firebat, and you are given a Wraith, which should be hotkey #2, and you move that Wraith to where you want the spell to be cast. You press #3 for the Barracks and select the Marine and then wherever that Wraith is at when the Marine is selected is where the spell will be activated at.

For Movement
-The Wraith will not be created and destroyed when a player casts a spell because then they wouldn't be able to use the hotkey, instead you take the wraith to where all of your spell casting buildings are at and give it to like player 7 or something
-Wraiths will always be cloaking and can always be cloaked
-If the Wraith gets outside of the casting radius then it is moved back to the location of the caster

This is much easier than a grid or anything if you ask me...

None.

Jan 28 2008, 8:22 am Pyro682 Post #25

Quote from Pyro682ACTUALLY
Ive got it!!!!
Have an arb some place far away, over water. Tell it to recall where it is. I think you might be able to get away with Centering a location over the Recall Sprite. Give it a shot, it might work-
No, you cannot detect it, nor can you center on it (not that it would help).
(maybe you cant do it... but..)
Not that it would help? Casting recall, While the portal is still open, center it, then have the spell be casted at that location. How wouldnt that help? Because the Recall only Teleport's the Owner of the Arbiter's units, the Recall effect must be player owned. If it was owned by player 12, it would teleport Everyone's units to the arbiter.

oh btw...
WOOT!! HE GOES FOR THE BUILDINGS!!! hahahahaha

None.

Jan 28 2008, 9:55 am pneumatic Post #26

and you are given a Wraith, which should be hotkey #2, and you move that Wraith to where you want the spell to be cast. You press #3 for the Barracks and select the Marine and then wherever that Wraith is at when the Marine is selected is where the spell will be activated at.

For Movement
-The Wraith will not be created and destroyed when a player casts a spell because then they wouldn't be able to use the hotkey, instead you take the wraith to where all of your spell casting buildings are at and give it to like player 7 or something
-Wraiths will always be cloaking and can always be cloaked

This sounds like a definite plan. I like how you can keep the Wraith on a single hotkey. The only problem I can foresee is if the Wraith starts attacking or chasing enemy units, which it does automatically even when cloaked, the last I checked (as opposed to the ghost). One way to prevent this would be to use an observer or something. Maybe you already considered this, I don't know. Sounds good, though.

None.

Jan 29 2008, 3:25 am Joshgt2 Post #27

Quote from razorsnail
This sounds like a definite plan. I like how you can keep the Wraith on a single hotkey. The only problem I can foresee is if the Wraith starts attacking or chasing enemy units, which it does automatically even when cloaked, the last I checked (as opposed to the ghost). One way to prevent this would be to use an observer or something. Maybe you already considered this, I don't know. Sounds good, though.
I thought about the Observer but I don't like the speed difference... I would hope that the player would use the speed of the Wraith along with hotkeys to take that fear of attacking units away... But I have thought about that one...

Quote from Pyro682
(maybe you cant do it... but..)
Not that it would help? Casting recall, While the portal is still open, center it, then have the spell be casted at that location. How wouldnt that help? Because the Recall only Teleport's the Owner of the Arbiter's units, the Recall effect must be player owned. If it was owned by player 12, it would teleport Everyone's units to the arbiter.

oh btw...
WOOT!! HE GOES FOR THE BUILDINGS!!! hahahahaha
I thought that Recalls couldn't be detected though for each player or even by any player for that matter. If I could detect each player using the Recall then I wouldn't see much of a problem other than if I wouldn't be able to move the Recall away from the area so it wouldn't effect any players and I would be able to have one for each player. If you have anything else about this that might answer these questions then please let me know!

None.

Options
  Back to forum