Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Order Limit question!~~~~
Order Limit question!~~~~
Mar 10 2015, 5:38 am
By: zsnakezz  

Mar 10 2015, 5:38 am zsnakezz Post #1

To those knowledgeable of the order limit, how exactly does this manifest within gameplay?

What are some things that WILL occur once the order limit is reached?

Edit: I got the glitch to occur with the extremely simplified version of my map, if you wish to take at the triggers I used to get this glitch to occur, the simplified map is attached to this post. This map is the undeadglitchtest one.

The second map is a map where I couldn't get the glitch to happen at all. I will put it on here too for comparing purposes. Somewhere between these two maps, lies the ultimate cause of this happening. This map is the fartytest map.

Attachments:
Undeadglitchtest.scx
Hits: 1 Size: 111.89kb
FARTYTEST1.scx
Hits: 0 Size: 41.83kb

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 10 2015, 6:57 am by zsnakezz.

I made the following maps; Hyperion 2, The Undead, The Undead Coop, Realm Rpg beta, and Overlords.

Mar 10 2015, 5:46 am jjf28 Post #2

Cartography Artisan

Human units will often refuse new orders, computer units will often ignore triggered-orders/AI-script-based-orders

http://www.staredit.net/topic/12286/

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Mar 10 2015, 6:03 am zsnakezz Post #3

Quote from jjf28
Human units will often refuse new orders, computer units will often ignore triggered-orders/AI-script-based-orders

http://www.staredit.net/topic/12286/

When my problem occurs, they can still be ordered by new triggers, but units that I had there already with out any scripts or specific commands, freeze. Almost seemingly opposite of what you just described.

I made the following maps; Hyperion 2, The Undead, The Undead Coop, Realm Rpg beta, and Overlords.

Mar 10 2015, 6:21 am rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

This is something that needs significant testing. I found it to occur whenever a unit was given to another player.

I believe there's a difference between units that get "stuck" and actually hitting the order limit of 1000 or 2000 orders in the map. A popup that says "Unable to add order" will occur if you actually hit the order limit. That's not happening is it?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 10 2015, 6:30 am zsnakezz Post #5

Quote from rockz
This is something that needs significant testing. I found it to occur whenever a unit was given to another player.

I believe there's a difference between units that get "stuck" and actually hitting the order limit of 1000 or 2000 orders in the map. A popup that says "Unable to add order" will occur if you actually hit the order limit. That's not happening is it?

Nope, no limit message, I deleted all the triggers besides the units changing players, to see if something within the system was causing it happen, i so far have not encountered the glitch within the gutted version of the map.

Mar 10 2015, 6:42 am zsnakezz Post #6

This just in, the glitch happens in the gutted version too. There are no other triggers or orders in play here.

Mar 10 2015, 6:46 am zsnakezz Post #7

If you wish to take a look at how the triggers work (there are only three in this test map) you are more than welcome. I am going to attach the download to the original topic post.

Mar 10 2015, 7:50 am Neiv Post #8

I played the non-simplified version of your map and bw was running out of "ai data" to give for units. It might not be only issue here but here's roughly how it works.

When an ai unit is not built by ai script, it is associated some data telling the x/y position where unit returns if aggroed and such. There are 1000 of these data slots available, and once they run out ai units start freezing and not responding. You can even see it by creating map with 1500 ai-owned units, 500 of them are completely passive.

However, these ai data slots are not, at least always, freed to reuse when ai loses the unit. Instead, ai will keep track of this data, attempting to build another unit which can replace the one which was lost. As such, giving units from ai player to another will cause the limit to be hit quite fast...

I know one certain and one untested way to avoid this issue:
- Hero units do not use this ai data, and they can be created/given freely without using up this limit. They have their own ai quirks though, which might not be desired :l

- Looking at bw's code, it seems that if ai script causing town to be created is run, and ai has no previous towns, ai will forget all of the units it wants to replace, allowing those data slots to be reused. I don't know if it is actually possible to control from triggers, but this can be tried:
1) Create command center at location x
2) Run ai script "terran area town" at x
3) Kill command center at x

EDIT: Following seems to work better
1) Create building somewhere
2) Run any ai script except area town
3) Kill/give away all buildings, zerg eggs, cocoons, larvae and workers
4) Wait some time and repeat

As said, this was not tested and may not work at all, as the ai usually just does what it wants... But hero units should not have the freezing issues.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 10 2015, 9:34 am by Neiv.

None.

May 11 2016, 3:48 am zsnakezz Post #9

Neiv just wanted to give you a quick shout out for this, this is good information. I didn't comment before, but the order limit was perfectly described in your post. I eventually ended up just compensating by deleting a bunch of units, and balancing the health upgrades etc to the new number of units on the map.

It was a ghetto fix, but ultimately it was the only one I could do. I also covered it up with multiple orders and ai scripts to the effected units, ultimately in doing so i made the map more complex/better. So it was a win win.

Thank you for providing a detailed analysis on this subject. The problem still occurs, but it's less obnoxious then when i first posted this.

Options
  Back to forum