Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: My first proper game (arcade)
My first proper game (arcade)
Sep 21 2014, 9:07 pm
By: Veta  

Sep 21 2014, 9:07 pm Veta Post #1

https://9083683ca208729bb9d5ee5da65719ac714327f7.googledrive.com/host/0B75jXB4Qp1cXQkJjS0hGby1JZlk/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQMbyHKirY

I've been working on this game for several months. It's my first proper game ever :). I learned to program as I made it.

I've found the Moves and Time modes aren't up to snuff. So I'm redesigning them, starting with Moves. I could really use some feedback during these early experiments. If you're so inclined I would recommend trying the Arcade mode +tutorial first. Moves mode has no tutorial yet so I'll have to explain that here.

Moves mode is a bit like pachinko. You pick a lane and let it rip. You've got 10 moves. You can manipulate the board with "mixers" at the bottom left. You can "boost" an area which adds (special) objects. You can also rerandomize ("remix") and delete objects if they're in your way. My intuition is that this mode requires some understanding of how all the objects work, so I would introduce it later.

In any case, I'm much too close to tell whether there's promise in this. I would be most appreciative for any design or feedback advice :)

Post has been edited 13 time(s), last time on Apr 26 2015, 11:05 pm by Veta.

None.

Sep 21 2014, 11:32 pm Fire_Kame Post #2

wth is starcraft

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! :kame:

I wish I could help you with the art part...I like drawing cupcakes and stars but I don't know enough about these things to help. I think it looks cute, and although I like the cupcakes it doesn't look as clean as the top two screenshots in your mockups gallery.

I would be interested in playing this game in the future. :3

Sep 22 2014, 1:09 am Veta Post #3

Quote from Fire_Kame
Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! :kame:

I wish I could help you with the art part...I like drawing cupcakes and stars but I don't know enough about these things to help. I think it looks cute, and although I like the cupcakes it doesn't look as clean as the top two screenshots in your mockups gallery.

I would be interested in playing this game in the future. :3
That's real nice of you to say.

Sep 22 2014, 2:04 am Fire_Kame Post #4

wth is starcraft

I wish I could give you more constructive criticism...but cupcakes.

Sep 22 2014, 4:59 am rayNimagi Post #5

This is pretty cool. What's your motivation for making this game? (For fun, for profit, etc.?) I like the first two mockups the best. Maybe you can have different "skins" for the game?

From a gameplay perspective, the main thing I'm concerned about is "How can the game keep being interesting?". I feel that I'd get bored too quickly. But I don't play casual games like 2048, so I guess I'm the wrong audience for this sort of thing!

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Sep 22 2014, 8:37 pm Veta Post #6

Quote from rayNimagi
This is pretty cool. What's your motivation for making this game? (For fun, for profit, etc.?) I like the first two mockups the best. Maybe you can have different "skins" for the game?

From a gameplay perspective, the main thing I'm concerned about is "How can the game keep being interesting?". I feel that I'd get bored too quickly. But I don't play casual games like 2048, so I guess I'm the wrong audience for this sort of thing!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm learning programming and learn best through projects, so while I want to have fun and/or profit. It's mostly an exercise in achievement. I did go ahead and get an iOS dev account though, so I can release it when it's done.

I do agree, progression is a little slow on PC and many people have told me it doesn't feel like they're engaged after launching the star. I've got a few ideas.

Nov 3 2014, 6:58 am Veta Post #7

Alright, I updated the art and a lot of mechanics. x)

Nov 3 2014, 10:11 am Sand Wraith Post #8

she/her

game made my browser crash 10/10

EDIT:

I tried it again. TIL I am starible and starendous. 11/10.

Edit2:

I have come up with excellent suggestions.

1) In the final version of the game, the sound track will come from anime and World of Warcraft -- all of the battle theme songs.
2) There will be more explosions.

That is all. Good luck!

EDIT3:

Game does something weird with my sound. All other sound was interrupted at a very high frequency, resulting in my music player playing stuttering music.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 3 2014, 10:37 am by Sand Wraith.

Apr 26 2015, 10:43 pm Veta Post #9

Ok friends, I've updated the game substantially and changed the OP to reflect I need your collective design genius. I want to make the other modes at least as good as Arcade :)

Apr 27 2015, 12:46 am Sand Wraith Post #10

she/her

more explosions confirmed 5/10
mlg electronic music 10/10
im having perfomance issues 15/10
would pay 200$ for this

Apr 27 2015, 12:49 am NudeRaider Post #11

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Sand Wraith
would pay 200$ for this
why dont you?

Apr 27 2015, 1:05 am Sand Wraith Post #12

she/her

because that's a waste of money, so id only pay that amount if I had that amount of spare money to waste.

Apr 27 2015, 1:20 am Generalpie Post #13

Staredit Puckwork

It ran just fine on Chrome. Firefox isn't known for excellent HTML5 support.
The particle effects do get in the way but you can make reducing/increasing them a power up system as well if you'd like.

None.

Apr 27 2015, 1:35 am Veta Post #14

Yeah I think the issue was how many songs I'm loading in. my IDE has a problem with music streaming so I'm loading everything into memory. Which means if you don't have a spare GB of RAM for the music it'll lag. Which is silly. I reduced the number of tracks to ameliorate this.

So the mode I put together recently is Moves. And it's a bit like pachinko except you can modify the board.

It's based on the Brood War map by UBoltHead, Reflector.

Options
  Back to forum