Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Making a unit appear anywhere on a map
Making a unit appear anywhere on a map
Apr 18 2014, 11:23 pm
By: DoomDoomDoom  

Apr 24 2014, 4:56 pm Sacrieur Post #21

Still Napping

Quote from Azrael
You could also place burrowed units (let's say Zerg Drones) for Player 9 at 64 different positions. Then when you want to teleport to a random position, you'd randomize 6 switches, and have these 6 triggers:

Condition: Switch 1 is Set.
Action: Give 1 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Condition: Switch 2 is Set.
Action: Give 2 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Condition: Switch 3 is Set.
Action: Give 4 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Condition: Switch 4 is Set.
Action: Give 8 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Condition: Switch 5 is Set.
Action: Give 16 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Condition: Switch 6 is Set.
Action: Give 32 Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere to Player 10.

Then you'd just need to move the "teleport" location to "Zerg Drone owned by Player 9 at Anywhere".

This will result in the location being randomly centered on 1 of your 64 burrowed units.

To reset the system, you'd want to add a trigger that clears all 6 switches (or you could clear each one in its own "___ is set" trigger). Also, after moving the location at the end, you'd need to "Give all Zerg Drone owned by Player 10 at Anywhere to Player 9".

This system has the benefit of making the destination unpredictable, and the player cannot manipulate it to get a destination of their choice. Additionally, if two different players use their teleport ability at the same time, they'll both get a unique random destination, as opposed to a global method of randomization which would teleport both players to the same area.

I endorse this method as being both the simplest and least prone to error, my method would include a mobile grid of sorts and thus be susceptible to air units.

None.

Apr 24 2014, 6:42 pm Azrael Post #22

Mobile grid would be the best way to make a truly random teleport, without any predetermined destinations or preplaced units.

But yeah, it won't work if there's air units on the map.

Options
  Back to forum