Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: The Bleeding Years
The Bleeding Years
Apr 15 2014, 9:20 am
By: sigsaucy  

May 18 2014, 8:43 am sigsaucy Post #21

how should a player be able to accumulate "senators"?

May 18 2014, 11:43 am Wormer Post #22

Players can build senators if you have got spare units in gateway or robotics.

Some.

May 21 2014, 11:00 am sigsaucy Post #23

Update

-No fly zones

centering locations on burrowed p10 units ive managed to implement no fly zones on the interior of westeros and essos. Now to get from west to east coast players will need to move ships around dorne. Note this does not affect dragons, only ships.

-Dragon nerf

I set dragon dmg from 201/202 to 200/201 along with a slight hp boost, dragons were just too powerful vs naval units before. The inclusion of no fly zones actually benefits dragons since they are now more mobile then ships. Not sure if this is too big of a change or not, might change damage to 201/201 if its too bad.

-Cavalry Upkeep

Don't be too upset, the first 14 light and 8 heavy cavalry units incur no upkeep, the 15th light cav units costs -100 a turn, the 9th heavy cav -150, these penalties are add up for each unit you have over the limit. At your 17th heavy cave it becomes -300 and your 27th light cav becomes -200.

This change seems to have worked very well to encourage cavalry use. I was able to buff cavalry with no worries of players ignoring other units so that they are now a necessary component of an army composition.

Future Plans
- Continue balancing specials

- I am considering implementing variable unit pricing, i.e. if you picked nation x you would receive a discount of y% off of unit z.

This could help add some variation between the separate kingdoms. However I am not sure if this is worth the amount of work it will take to balance it, im worried it might only add a superficial level of variety.

Although this could be the problem to the Northern Firebat issue, the North gets away too easily with massing pure firebats and marines still.

May 25 2014, 7:28 pm lil-Inferno Post #24

Just here for the pie

I played this yesterday because I recognized it when someone hosted it. Right off the bat I placed COP beacons for all of my beacons randomly on the world map because I like screwing things up, and that made it so no one else could declare war on me for the entire game. One guy accused me of using an in-game map editor to do it, but I told him that was impossible on Battle.net and it's because you used flag beacons instead of regular beacons.

Protip: Either make actions not reliant on a beacon's location, or use regular beacons only if they're controlled by human players.

Aug 28 2015, 7:48 am Vodka Post #25

Hello, I have some advice to give you on your map.

Vision of neutral land should be enabled, which you said you will edit in the next version. Another problem I have is that the specials you added are not exactly even for each country and they make the game unnecessarily complicated. If a kingdom that gets free zealots fore very few they build wars a kingdom who's special is something that requires building four vultures to get fifth one then its obviously uneven since vultures are a lot more expensive. Another problem I found is that the northern rebellion special is really messed up. Somebody just spent his entire army taking the north (and north is very difficult to take since its got a good defense at Moat Cailin) and now they have to deal with rebellions that never end no matter how many times they are put down while fighting another player then they can become annoying at how difficult it is to keep the income in the north. In short, all specials did was make the map unnecessarily complicated. People have to figure out what exactly their specials are, since they are not written in the mission objectives and although its all written in the intro, its difficult to remember all of them. In addition to this, the sell swords are already like specials. While I'm talking about sell swords, I would just like to point out that nobody ever chooses the infested terran that blows up since you lose it no matter what. I suggest removing them.

Another thing I would like to discuss is the northern firebats. AntiFlag was right about them being too strong when you first created the game. However he seems to have finally pressured you into getting them to half weapon damage of zealots. Also, AntiFlag barely even plays StarCraft and therefore I don't think his opinion counts for much. This is a mistake because they are not very good at all now. I suggest increasing them to 9 or 10 damage to oppose the 14 damage of zealots.

Something else that I found to be a problem is that it is very difficult for players to kill dragons. The best method is to use multihack, build a bunch of ghosts, and try killing the dragons that way although it usually doesn't work since the dragons can just avoid the ghosts. Note: the guardian is completely out of ghost range. One way to solve this problem would be to provide the dragon slayers that are currently only available to the Ghiscari to all kingdoms.

One other thing I would like to bring up is the vultures. People don't build cavalry for expo and early wars. I think you should due something like there is in the SC map Europa Universalis with the vultures. The cost in EU for 4 ghosts is 3200 and 1000 for 1 vulture. We would see more cavalry battles if vultures were reduced in cost, in which case I recommend you significantly reduce their armor to make them more vulnerable to infantry. In short, cavalry would have a lower cost and a lower armored. A mass of cavalry would be the tool for destroying zealot/firebat/infested Kerrigan charges, flanking enemy archers, and engaging enemy cavalry. In short, you should make it so that players are forced to build something besides infantry in the start of games. Another thing I suggest you do is to increase the starting cost of players by 1000 or 1500. In this case people will be able to expo faster and war other players faster. I see too much sitting around and expoing by players in Bleeding Years.

Please look over what I wrote and write back if you have any questions.

~ Vodka

None.

Sep 7 2017, 1:55 am treehead Post #26

Hey wanted to input my feedback here. The biggest problem I've found with the map is that the pubs get scared of it. They think its too complicated and every game starts with about 3 people at least leaving within 3 minutes. I think if you started people with more units and they had something to do right away that might hook them more.

2. I have no idea how the special units "dothraki screamers, second sons, etc" work and I've played the map a number of times

3. if I am the only person left in the game it should give me a victory screen. Call me petty but I like the game to tell me when I have won :D

None.

Options
  Back to forum