Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Mod always crashes
Mod always crashes
Mar 2 2013, 6:16 pm
By: DuplexBeGreat  

Mar 2 2013, 6:16 pm DuplexBeGreat Post #1

I'm making a mod with only minor changes: unit responses, portraits, and graphics have been shuffled around between units, and attack and unit data has been modified. I have not added any custom portraits, sounds files, GRP sprites, etc. For some reason which I cannot figure out, whenever I open any map using this mod, the game freezes and then crashes in about 3-4 seconds. I have closely examined all the units that I have edited the sprites for (such as making Marines into Ghosts, Firebats into Marines, Dragoons into High Templar, and High Templar into Zealots), but all of them seem to have been correctly edited, and I can't figure out what else could be causing this since very little else could possibly cause this to happen on every map. Help, please?

If it helps, this only started happening once I made the HT sprite into a Zealot while keeping the Dragoon sprite as an HT. I have not attempted spellcasting with the HT/Zealot unit, so I don't know if that's what's causing it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2013, 10:24 pm by DuplexBeGreat.

Mar 3 2013, 12:02 am Sand Wraith Post #2

she/her

Depending on how exactly you shuffled the graphics, it could have something to do with iscript trying to access nonexistent frames. That is my best guess.

Mar 3 2013, 12:38 am DuplexBeGreat Post #3

Hm... Do you know if zealots don't have a frame that High T's do? I guess I'll change that one back, then... Thanks.

Edit: okay, I tested to see what the problem was by playing a level with no HT's, and it didn't freeze... Until some Mutalisks appeared and attacked something. The only edits I have made to the Muta attack were the color remapping, so I undid the changes I made, as well as changing the HT graphic back to HT...but it still crashed. Hm...
Maybe I'll try changing the Marine, Firebat, and Dragoon sprites back...

Another edit: okay, so now I've tried learning a little bit about IceCC and how those files work, and forgive me if I'm not understanding this correclty, but if I change the sprite of a unit wouldn't the unit call on the graphic files of the sprite it's been changed to? In other words, it should be fixing itself and I shouldn't have this problem? Help?
Could it be anything to do with my changing the color remapping of some attacks? But that wouldn't make it crash at the start of a map... Help?

Third update: one map that has a "cutscene" at the beginning (where I don't control any units, nothing is doing anything, and I'm just watching two units talk to each other) doesn't crash until the cutscene is over and I gain control of a base. Which might mean it crashes when I get control of units, or it could be that it crashes because of something the AI (which starts right after the cutscene) does. Hm...

But I haven't edited the AI, and in this level it doesn't control any of the units with modified graphics! Aah! What's happening?

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2013, 5:04 am by DuplexBeGreat.

Mar 3 2013, 6:36 am Sand Wraith Post #4

she/her

units that don't have a iscript animation that try to perform an order (such as air attack, ground attack, spell cast, etc.) will cause a crash.

Mods aren't always stable in playing certain UMS maps, including campaigns.

Mar 3 2013, 7:06 am DuplexBeGreat Post #5

Okay, I made a full list of everything that I've changed in the mod, and I think I might have narrowed it down to a few things. When a Drone is harvesting, does the animation call on the data for "Spines" or for "Spines (harvest)". Because DatEdit says the harvest file isn't used by anything, and I did change the animation for the normal Drone attack, so if it tries to harvest with my new animation... Could that be it?

Edit: after extensive testing of different levels with different things happening in them, I have the following results:
In a level with no bases and only Terran and Zerg units, no crash. In a level with Terran and Zerg bases, crash. In a level with Zerg units but no bases, no crash. In a level with Terran bases only, no crash. In a level with Protoss units and Zerg bases, crash. In a level with Protoss and Terran bases and Zerg units, no crash. In a level with Protoss and Terran units, no crash. Level with every single unit that was modified in the mod but no bases, no crash.
So it seems like the crash is caused by my earlier guess, Zerg Drones harvesting, because as I said before a certain level with Protoss and Zerg bases doesn't crash until the Zerg AI starts.
But then I ran a level with huge Zerg bases for both me and the AI, and it didn't crash.
So... Maybe it's caused by Zerg Drones harvesting at the same time as Protoss units existing? But that doesn't make any sense!

And now I've done a big test with a map created specifically for testing things, and I have found that it doesn't crash no matter what I do. Which means that if the crash is caused by one of the things I've already guessed, like Drones mining, then it only happens when the AI does it.

WHOA WHOA WHOA huge breakthrough! I realized what is causing it! It is something completely unrelated to anything I've done and is probably just the game throwing a fit at the fact that I'm making a mod at all. It is... Wait for it... the Expansion Zerg Campaign script itself. Which means all I have to do to fix this is change the scripts for Zerg to non-expansion, since I don't plan on letting the enemy have Lurkers or Devourers anyways! Thanks for your help!

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2013, 6:58 pm by DuplexBeGreat.

Options
  Back to forum