Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Docking Bay 13
Docking Bay 13
Apr 18 2012, 3:04 am
By: bulletbutter  

Apr 18 2012, 3:04 am bulletbutter Post #1

Docking Bay 13
Tired of defense maps where more units/towers just mean more damage? In this map, every unit has a purpose so even at wave 10 you will want a tier 1 unit. This map will test your abilities! It is not an easy map and there is no easy mode. You either get it, study it and master it or it will simply be too difficult. If you can't use control groups, can't read and can't do multiple things at once, this map isn't for you. This map is based around avoiding a few typical concepts that I feel are caveats of all defense maps.

Docking Bay 13 is played by picking a handful of units initially and kill the on coming flying air units. Enemies will spawn wave after wave, becoming stronger and stronger each wave. Periodically a random even will occur. Anything from a nuke to spawning enemy ground forces. All of the players units are very squishy and can be killed in 1-2 hits by enemy ground forces. In a team based map, one could decide to build units for taking out ground forces and completely ignore air enemies. Or, one could go a pure damage dealing route and build only the highest damage output units. Or, play it safe and go for a healthy mix of defenders and attackers and attempt to 'hold your own'. The idea is to keep your units mobile and at the same time establishing footholds to increase you steam of income by killing more units faster.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Players
    1 - 4 Players. The more players in the game the harder it gets. (Current version only supports player 1).
  • Map Tileset
    Installation
  • Map Size
    200x184.

STORYLINE/INTRODUCTION
Docking Bay 13 is the last line of defense against the hordes of Chaos. The army is on their way to destroy every living being on any planet they encounter. Docking Bay 13 is a defense platform designed to stop these invasions.

FEATURES
  • Almost endless ways to play. Every unit has a purpose, either stock on up tier 1 units or hold out for higher tier units.
  • Random Events, Monster abilities, 3 tiers of units to choose from with specific purposes.

DETAILS (for RPGs and the like)
  • Characters
    •Zealot: Fast shield regeneration rate makes zealots excellent tanks for all your ground force troubles. The rest of your army is useless without a few of these guys protecting your attacking troops. This improved zealot is able to blast psionic energies from its Psi Blades, allowing them to hit air targets.

•Marine: The marines are packing armor piercing bullets and do an additional 35 damage to armored units to boot. Over the years marines have developed an immunity to the damage that stim packs once gave.

•Stalker: The stalker is able to move quickly around the map through the unlimited use of blink. Blink has improved ranged and no mana cost or cooldown. Stalkers excel at quickly eating away the shields of enemy units.

•Roach: The roach specializes in dishing out corrosive damage to all mechanical units. While it's initial damage could be considered a joke, when it comes to mechanical units they should not be underestimated.

•Vulture: The Vulture is equipped with an improved weapons. Can use spidermines. Additionally, the Vulture specializes in taking out structure units. Ideal for taking out any nydus canals that may surprise your forces.

•Dark Templar: Deals heavy damage to mechanical and ground units. Useful against tanks as they are the only unit that can't detect them. Their psionic air weapons is extremly intimidating and very effective. Does additional damage to biological units. Decent tier 2 tank, but only because they can form invisible walls.

•Ghost: Extremely long range shooter. Sniper Shot does massive damage. Equipped with an upgraded AoE lockdown.

•Immortal: Improved damage with a small AOE radius. This unit is more of a support unit with the ability to reduce incoming damage of other units to zero for as long as his shield is up. Great for holding your position during a nuclear attack or attacking enemies.

•Hydralisk: Fastest moving unit in the game. Capable of outrunning just about any unit. It has mutated its weapons in such a way that it deals an extra 50 damage to all biological units. Nydus implants grant the hydralisk the ability to become a moving nydus worm which makes it able to unload troops anywhere it can safely run to.

•Goliath: Massive unit slayer, great for dealing with Void Ray events. Created with small orbiting science vessels orbiting the goliath and healing units and allies.

•High Templar: AoE nuker, psi spam with fast energy regen. Seeker Missle damage boost, recommend using it in conjunction with lockdown. Glass cannon

•Maruader: AoE concussive blast, increased attack speed, able to stim and not take damage. Purpose....slow enemies down

•Collosus: Aura buff applies 100 points of shields to allies/units. Launches 5 scouts that orbit and deal high damage to ground and air units.

•Brutalisk: Teleporting burrow with unlimited range. Lurker effect while burrowed, when unburrowed. Creep tumor that slows down enemy units when they are on creep. NYI

•Thor: Summons orbiting miniature orbital commands (5 max). Electrical Overload, sieges - rapid fire, ground and air - go nuts with weapons here crazy damage - ultimate unit. NYI

SCREENSHOTS/DEMO

Spawn Areas for enemy units, same at each of the 4 spawning locations.

More screenshots at SC2MAPSTER

PROGRESS
    [LIST]
  • IDEAS (85%)
  • TERRAIN (100%)
  • UNIT PLACEMENT (100%)
  • TRIGGERS (90%)
  • DATA (80%)

Current Gameplay Status
  • 4/18/2012 (Date of last change)
    All random events are not yet implemented. Some minor bugs exist and levels are not balanced in any way. Current costs are not implemented. The map is in sort of a sandbox mode, everything is free and as of now the game is too easy to beat. The comms transmissions are not completed. Mainly posted this to get feedback on the concept of how the game plays.
    Full list of updates can be found at SC2MAPSTER

Made with the Map Production template.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 8 2013, 4:07 am by bulletbutter.

None.

Apr 18 2012, 9:29 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Sounds like you've got some good theory behind it, I don't have SC2 access at the moment but when I do I'll try to remember to check it out.

From the descriptions, the units are attackable? Sounds interesting, I've mostly played defences where the units don't attack but just try to run through to the other side.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 18 2012, 10:22 am Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Some Feedback:
- The different command cards are slightly annoying. Put everything into one or enable the flag in the command card that they stay open after using one of their fields.
- Nothing costs money for me.
- Upgrade beacon seems to have no purpose
- enemy computers attack each other
- void seeker runner cannot be attacked
- tier upgrade buttons do not disappear after unlocking the tier. Use requirements to show/hide them.
- Thors don't cost supply

Apr 18 2012, 12:27 pm bulletbutter Post #4

Thanks for the feedback Ahli. I plan on fixing the command card issue soon. As of now, I am trying to decide how the units you get are achieved. The current idea is that they will eventually be controlled by supply limits rather than an economy since you units will be dying a lot. Not quite sure about that yet. The enemy waves aren't completed yet either. There are plans to implement special abilities for the oncoming flying waves. And the upgrade beacons are going to be removed as soon as I can figure out what to replace them with in that area.

Thinking about putting in upgrades for the prism that aids with the random events....a few things like that are still up in the air.

None.

Options
  Back to forum