Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Morph ability
Morph ability
Mar 31 2012, 10:15 am
By: Xeno814  

Mar 31 2012, 10:15 am Xeno814 Post #1

so i stumble on the zerg morphs then i thought what if i make Ultralisk morph to Omegalisk. looking at the zerg units i saw 2 different abilities regarding morph, the zergling>>baneling and overlord>>overseer.

So i made a duplicate of these two, on the baneling morph i replace the unit value to omegalisk the other one (which looks complicated :| ) i just replaced the overseer to omegalisk. stripping the requirements then apply this on the ultralisk command card. testing this came to these results

Using the baneling morph ability the ultralisk doesn't change to cocoon, it just idles for a while (i somehow see another unit underneath the ultralisk i think its a cocoon) then after following the training time for baneling it suddenly becames an omegalisk

The overseer morph ability tough follows similarly on the baneling process but after the a while the ultralisk became unclickable, idle like a doodad...

In the end i find out that making a rip-off copy of baneling morph ability still works but the morphing process looks stupid, hope someone guides me in making a unit morph

None.

Mar 31 2012, 4:55 pm UnholyUrine Post #2

Knowing that copying units messes up actors and that The Editor refuses to carry over actors

I bet it has something to do with actors.

None.

Mar 31 2012, 8:26 pm DevliN Post #3

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The morph into a cocoon is a specific animation that plays in the Actor's events. For example, think of the Viking morphing from air to ground. When you click on the ability, it changes the flying Viking actor to an animation of it going from air to ground, and then finally changes that actor to the ground model. Similarly, morphing into a cocoon changes to an animation.

Basically you can't get it to change into a cocoon unless you create a custom animation that has an Ultralisk turn into a cocoon.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 31 2012, 8:37 pm Biophysicist Post #4

Not entirely true. You can change the model, just not with an animation. Look at the Siege Tank actors for an example of actors changing based on morphs (though ofc the tank does so with animation).

None.

Mar 31 2012, 10:57 pm DevliN Post #5

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

What isn't entirely true? I'm only talking about the animation. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 31 2012, 11:07 pm Biophysicist Post #6

You said that you can't get the Ultralisk to go into a cocoon; that's not true as written. You can make it do so, but it happens instantly with no animation. If you meant such, then you were in fact correct.

None.

Apr 1 2012, 2:44 am DevliN Post #7

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That would be why I said you can't do it without a custom animation. :P I figured the animation is specifically what he was talking about in the OP.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 9 2012, 5:27 pm bulletbutter Post #8

I could give this a shot for you if you still need it done. Morph abilities are controlled in the events of the units actor. It's pretty simple once you get it down. The animation however, is entirely different. I could make something look good enough but it wouldn't look zergish. Probably just scale the ultra down to roughly the size of a cacoon, then do the reverse for the omegalisk (unless the omegalisk has a cocoon birth animation, not entirely sure).

None.

Apr 15 2012, 6:29 am Xeno814 Post #9

after days of testing, i finally managed to make a successful morph of Ultralisk to Omegalisk (though i change it to Brutalisk instead since Omagalisk cant attack air units and and it looks stupid on ramming or slashing enemies that are above of it :lol: ). I carefully duplicate the lurker egg (especially the model to scale up the size) and use it as a egg form of Ultralisk, then copy-paste the events of overseer actor that has a msg type of AbilMorph, change the values that fits to my custom morph ability. this things were done along with the Brutalisk and the Egg. Can someone explain me how these Terms flows?

ULTRALISK ACTOR

AbilMorph.*.Finish
=>MorphTo Ultralisk
⏐ Create

AbilMorph.*.Start
=>MorphTo Ultralisk
----------------------------------
ULTRALISK EGG ACTOR

AbilMorph.*.Finish
=>MorphTo UltraliskEgg
⏐ Create

AbilMorph.*.Start
=>MorphTo UltraliskEgg
⏐ Destroy
----------------------------------
BRUTALISK ACTOR

AbilMorph.*.Finish
=>MorphTo Brualisk
⏐ Create

AbilMorph.*.Start
=>MorphTo Brualisk
⏐ Destroy

AbilMorph.UltraliskToBrutaliskAbility
⏐ Animation Play
Target: (Blank)
Msg Type: Animation Play
Parameters:
Name: Birth
Animation Properties: Birth
Flags:
Blend In: 0.0000
Blend Out: -1.0000
Time Variant: 0.0000
Time Type: Automatic

Name: Birth

anyway's it works but lacking with visual and sound effects. seems it needs to make another actor unit and tweak the duration and delay values in the ability data, the problem is I don't know the difference between duration and delay. What i visualize is an Ultralisk acting like burrowing while the egg gradually grows overlapping it then when the time ends the egg collapse, a blood will splash then Brutalisk comes out giving a loud roar. Right now its just Ultralisk will vanish in thin air replaced by a big onion and the later the big onion disappears then Brutalisk appears idly like its been there for a long time waiting for your command :|

None.

Options
  Back to forum