Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Desert Strike - Abandoned
Desert Strike - Abandoned
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Feb 26 2012, 4:41 am
By: combatvolcano  

Feb 26 2012, 4:41 am combatvolcano Post #1

Hello Staredit community,

I am a SC1 map modder from WAY back and it has come to my attention that one of the most popular maps on battle.net, Desert Strike, was passed on by Squarely and then abandoned by Turtle who is nowhere to be found.
I have attempted to contact both and received no reply.

This is a much loved game by many and is always one of the top custom maps but has problems that need fixing. This doesn't relate to unit balance, it related to exploits and bugs.

I want to take a crack at it and perhaps support it going forward but I need the map file to do so. I am an experienced coder (VB, Python, C, others) and I think that I can fix the problems.

The issue is getting the map file. It's been a long time since I played with MPQ editors and the like and I've run against the dead end of my ability in this area.

I am looking for anyone that can assist me by providing the map file.

Thank you for your time and attention,

The Combat Volcano

None.

Feb 26 2012, 5:27 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Maps are stored in your map cache; assuming the map is protected you'll need to extract it from the cache, and manually reassemble it. You have to also manually redo some parts as IIRC you can't completely copy the map if it's protected.

If it isn't protected then you can easily download it from battle.net 2 using the map editor.

I'm not sure what SEN's current policies are on map unprotecting and the like so I don't want to say more right now.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Feb 26 2012, 6:50 am combatvolcano Post #3

The map protection is nothing. Having the knowledge to reassemble the map from digging around in all the files is.

None.

Feb 26 2012, 8:01 am Jack Post #4

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from combatvolcano
The map protection is nothing. Having the knowledge to reassemble the map from digging around in all the files is.
Yes, I have a rough knowledge on how to reassemble the map, but as I said I don't know what SEN's current policies are on the subject so I don't want to say anything more. In addition I'm busy for the next couple days and won't be able to help anyway.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Feb 26 2012, 8:36 am combatvolcano Post #5

If you have any doubts you can view turtle's forum activity on SC2DS.com via the following link

http://sc2ds.com/index.php?option=com_agora&task=profile&page=preview&user_id=32

Here's the thread where people are looking for him

http://www.sc2ds.com/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=2256&Itemid=60

Latest Post:
Dec-22-11 01:56:25

At this point any help at all at any point in the future is appreciated. The map is basically dead until someone that cares enough (me? ANYONE reading this that also loves DS and is a way better modder than me?) puts the file back together.

As I had said in the Shoutbox earlier I don't care one bit if I am the one to do the fixing and I don't plan to credit myself. If someone else was willing to take this up that is honestly the ideal scenario.

Thanks very much to the staredit community for being at all interested in this, for me DS is really the only way that I enjoy starcraft. The people that are good at it now are TOO GOOD at the regular game and as such it is not fun unless you play it 4 hours a day.

None.

Feb 26 2012, 8:50 am Ahli Post #6

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Map Unprotection & Map Stealing
  • SEN supports the rights of map creators to dictate what is done with the maps which they create. You are allowed to submit maps that you have created with any protection or lack thereof that you, as the author choose.
  • SEN also respects the right of map creators to create open source maps and enter their own maps into the open-source movement (OSMAP movement) as they see fit. However, SEN does not endorse the use of unprotectors, such as OSMAP.EXE.
  • Tasteful discussion and debate of the protection issue is permitted. (Tasteful, discussion, and debate are all key words.)
  • Posting of unprotectors or links to unprotectors is not allowed.
  • Release of maps that have been protected or unprotected without the author's permission is not allowed.
  • Release of stolen maps and map stealing are prohibted.
Build it yourself. Breaking the map's protection is not what he wanted by protecting the map. So the map is either open in battle.net or protected for a reason.

It's super easy to do that and the production value of that map has been terrible most of the time.
If you do that, consider translating building placement into the unit placement. This way you can build formations.
If you have questions about mapping, feel free to ask them.

It's sad to hear that someone vanished, but maybe they are hindered in another way from returning. Maybe they are in hospital, maybe they are on a big trip like the one Payne did recently.

Also, this thread doesn't belong to this forum section as it's not advertising a playable product.
So I've 2 reasons to lock this.

Options
  Back to forum