Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: 12 Year Old Computer Adventures
12 Year Old Computer Adventures
Aug 1 2011, 3:56 am
By: Sacrieur
Pages: < 1 2 3

Nov 29 2012, 9:04 pm Sacrieur Post #41

Still Napping

Yay another update!

My computer has officially shunned all parts more than a decade old, I put it in a new case, but more on that later (I got it for free, it's older, but not ancient). So I've been having some fun with emulation, and decided to add some fun parts to my list. Mostly for Gamecube/Wii emulation. Why? Because fuk da polis, that's why. Also because better graphics.

The problem with the gamecube/wii isn't the titles, the titles are absolutely terrific (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, etc). It's the graphics. And those of us that don't like to see things on a tiny 640x480 screen would be dismayed. So the solution? Use the Dolphin emulator! Yes, to reach the ultimate level of computer geekdom I'm going to emulate wii games on a giant 1080p HDTV -- with enhancements to match.

The problem with this is that the emulator isn't perfect, and just getting everything to work perfectly takes massive amounts of computational power. So in addition to the list above, I'm also going to make a list of things needed to complete out the machine, which does call for that same i7. The processor needs to be fast because of glitches that occur if you use the Dolphin's in house sound emulator. But by taking DSP files from the wii itself, you can emulate sound in the same way the gamecube/wii does, and really add stability and better sound to your games. It's called LLE and is very CPU intensive. So intensive that you need an i7 to just prevent glitching. Inefficient, I know, but ultimately worth it. Save files can become corrupt by the glitches that the in house emulator can cause, so really want to prevent this if I'm going to get maximum enjoyment.

The PSU and Case remain the same, although I may go for a black themed case instead of the white one. It's still the best mid sized case on the market.

But again, emulators are very hardware intensive. I'm going to need a better video card to run these games without dropping fps with massive resolution and enhancements (I can play them now, but it will slow down in a lot of places, and not at 1080p, about half that).

So the Sapphire Radeon 7970 Ghz edition should have the power I need to blast through these games (no nvidia card because while it's better for games, this is an emulator). If that's not enough power, then a suppose I can grab another and crossfire, but that comes later.

In addition, I'm going to need a bluetooth adapter, IR sensor bar, wii mote (black, definitely black) with nunchuck, and a gamecube -> USB adapter.

Yay fun! I'm all excited now!

None.

Mar 9 2013, 11:25 am Sacrieur Post #42

Still Napping

Okay so progress!

Newegg had a deal. See this case? Yeah, got it for $80. It was a complete steal. And I have to say, the quality and thought put into it is awesome.

No one makes better cases than Lian-li.

The design is so minimalist it looks sleek and there's plenty of room. for things. Two USB 3.0 ports on top, as well as a SATA port. It has bottom mounted PSU (I love this), and it uses silicone rubber rings and screws that make installing an HDD/SSD a breeze while helping to eliminate vibrations. The fans are exceedingly quiet and there's room for an additional 120 mm on the top of the case.

My only complaint is the lack of real space for behind mobo wiring and the lack of options for more 2.5" drives (curently only supports one), and my OCZ 2.5" to 3.5" drive converter won't work with the rubber ring screw system, so it's really a no-go. But lian-li makes drive converters specifically for this, so not really a concern.

There's enough space inside of the case for wiring, it's just going to take some more thought than "LOL WIERS ARE TEH EVERYWHARS".

All in all 8/10. Very satisfied.

None.

Mar 9 2013, 12:37 pm Oh_Man Post #43

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Nice, what emaulators would you recommend for Xbox360 and PS3?

I've always wanted to play the God of War and Uncharted series but have never been able too because I refuse to buy a PS3.

Mar 9 2013, 2:29 pm Sacrieur Post #44

Still Napping

Dolphin is the only emulator to run games from current gen consoles. I could be wrong but even if I were, it's likely many games wouldn't work or not work properly. It takes a huge amount of work and support to get an emulator to manage to play a lot of games.

Most xbox/ps games are ported to PC. There are a few that aren't like GoW and Uncharted, but realistically those games don't justify buying a console and it's likely going to be half a decade before we see a ps3 emulator. There are ps2 emulators available though.

None.

Mar 9 2013, 10:29 pm rockz Post #45

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I'm only slightly disappointed in my k7b.

I'd rather have the USB 3.0 and the 100% aluminum though. Good find.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 10 2013, 2:06 pm Sacrieur Post #46

Still Napping

Quote from rockz
I'm only slightly disappointed in my k7b.

I'd rather have the USB 3.0 and the 100% aluminum though. Good find.

Mobo doesn't have 3.0 for front panel, but there was an adapter that came with the case.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum