Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Dell XPS 8300
Dell XPS 8300
Jul 31 2011, 4:53 am
By: EzTerix  

Aug 3 2011, 12:37 pm NicholasBeige Post #21

So you're getting shit for free? Nothing new there.

None.

Aug 3 2011, 2:07 pm EzTerix Post #22

Quote from name:Cardinal
So you're getting shit for free? Nothing new there.

Hey I thought we all agreed it wasn't horrendous except for the overprice, bad motherboard/wattage, and because Dell made it :P.

Just cause I buy a premade computer doesn't mean its bad, it's just overpriced.

None.

Aug 3 2011, 2:11 pm Aristocrat Post #23

It's bad relative to a self-built computer in the same price range. That is all.

None.

Aug 3 2011, 2:43 pm NudeRaider Post #24

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

• CPU is good, RAM probably too.
  • HDD is unknown brand which is suspicious but at least the specs are good. --- maybe good
  • mobo and PSU is unknown. --- assume bad _______________________<== this can cost you a lot of money when after a year or 2 trouble is brewing. New mobo + CPU? $80 + $120?. PSU can potentially fry every of your components when it fails eventually. Potential cost $600.
  • video is not suited for gaming. --- bad if you're playing games________<== you'll probably want a better one. $120 - $200.
  • software is bad. Home versions lack important features, trial packages are impossible to uninstall cleanly. The best you can do is format c: and hope they added a Windows CD. Costs time. Time is money.

still think this was such a good deal when half of what you bought is crap? Yes? Innocent surfing then.

Aug 3 2011, 2:46 pm Aristocrat Post #25

Quote from NudeRaider
video is not suited for gaming. --- bad if you're playing games
6450? What?

If the second digit is 5 or below don't even try to game on it.

EDIT> http://www.hwcompare.com/10162/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-6450-oem/

trolololololololol

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2011, 2:52 pm by Aristocrat.

None.

Aug 3 2011, 2:51 pm Dem0n Post #26

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I have that graphics card and it's not absolutely terrible. I can run SC2 on medium-high, and I can run basically any game with relatively high settings. ;o But yeah, if you played like an extra $50 or something for that dedicated card, then it was a bad idea. ;o If you did that, it would've been a lot easier just to buy like a $70 card from newegg and spend 2 minutes installing it into your comp.

Aug 3 2011, 2:59 pm EzTerix Post #27

Half of what I bought is crap? What the hell?

I already have a separate video card I mentioned earlier but IDK if it's better its a nvidia something.

Only software I wanted at all was Windows 7.

And if it frys....well shit LOL :lol:

None.

Aug 3 2011, 3:12 pm NudeRaider Post #28

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from EzTerix
I already have a separate video card I mentioned earlier but IDK if it's better its a nvidia something.
It's better. Still far from good. I got the follow up model (9600GT) and it's already starting to show its age. In 1-2 years tops I'll need a new one, and so do you.
Though you'll probably be fine if you didn't plan on using your system for more than 2 years.

Btw. that's how Dell's (and every supplier's) business model works: They sell computers that are fine initially, but when warranty is over (roughly) problems are starting.

You might lol now, but you won't when your PSU actually fried. And it will. The question is when and how much of your computer it takes with it. That's why you better pay $30 more for a good one that lasts longer than all your other parts. Don't think it's something that never happens.

Aug 3 2011, 3:17 pm EzTerix Post #29

yep reason I got this computer is because the one I had for like 3-4 years just fried recently. "Oh the fan must be broken..." NOPE HARDRIVE lol

I can only recommend backup files and just hope the harddrive is the only thing that goes down.

And yeah I actually am only planning to use this computer for about 2 years but if it lasts longer then all the better :)

None.

Aug 3 2011, 3:27 pm NudeRaider Post #30

Then you "just" paid too much.

Aug 3 2011, 5:09 pm NicholasBeige Post #31

Quote from EzTerix
yep reason I got this computer is because the one I had for like 3-4 years just fried recently. "Oh the fan must be broken..." NOPE HARDRIVE lol

I can only recommend backup files and just hope the harddrive is the only thing that goes down.

And yeah I actually am only planning to use this computer for about 2 years but if it lasts longer then all the better :)

I've been using the same (more or less) computer for the past 8 years. Constantly upgrading components and adding shit to it.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz 56 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz 5-5-5-31
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
Monitor 1 SamsungSyncMaster 22" @ 1680x1050
Monitor 2 SamsungSyncMaster 22" @ 1680x1050
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Hard Drives
244.20GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk Device (SCSI)
1023.80GB Buffalo External USB3 Disk Device
Optical Drives
DTSoftBusCd00
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B SCSI CdRom Device (cd/dvd burner/player)
ZINAFO DQZ09EN01I SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
5.1 Speaker Labtec Surround System

It's never failed, in the 8 years that I've had it. Recent upgrades include the graphics card and 4gb of extra ram which I got around when SC2 came out. For my next upgrade I'll update the motherboard and CPU so I can do more intense 3DS Max stuff.

It's the cheapest way to do 'computers'. Dell will just pull your pants down and take advantage.

None.

Aug 3 2011, 5:13 pm Fire_Kame Post #32

wth is starcraft

Dells are never worth $600. :|

Aug 3 2011, 9:14 pm Aristocrat Post #33

Quote from Fire_Kame
Dells are never worth $600. :|

I'd pay $600 for an Alienware Area-51 ALX.

None.

Options
  Back to forum