Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Build Me a Laptop
Build Me a Laptop
May 29 2011, 1:46 pm
By: lil-Inferno  

May 29 2011, 10:34 pm Centreri Post #21

Relatively ancient and inactive

What makes you say that 'reviews mean shit'?

None.

May 30 2011, 12:07 am rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

People who write reviews on newegg call it "duo 2 cuo". They really have no idea what they are talking about.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 30 2011, 12:14 am Centreri Post #23

Newegg reviews aren't the only reviews in existance, Rockz.

None.

May 30 2011, 12:44 am rockz Post #24

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

they are for that laptop, and most laptops in general. And by newegg, I mean the user generated reviews which require no technological expertise to write. Certainly if a real review site did a review on it, you can trust them 90%, but user generated content has to be trusted with a grain of salt, including the advice you get on SEN.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 30 2011, 2:43 am Centreri Post #25

I'm not advocating he blindly trust everything he reads. I'm advocating he reads something before deciding. And he can always look up reviews for a general model, not a particular customization of it; I know when I was buying my laptop, I found about five good reviews of it. It's why I avoid going straight to Newegg when it comes to laptops; it can deliver you some results that would be hard-pressed to find otherwise, but it ignores possible customizations and takes you to the result without going through the process and comparing with alternatives. Newegg results are a small subset of all available laptops that would work for any situation, and systematically going through major vendors' offerings will take little time and leave you with a better understanding of what your money can get you.

Rockz, I'd also like to disagree with your claim that 2GB isn't an issue. For me, at least, it is; I love multitasking. And I wouldn't sacrifice 2GB RAM for an upgrade to a Sandy Bridge processor. Lil, If you feel like the 2GB isn't, indeed, an issue, then I suppose you can look into it; Sandy Bridge has a much better integrated GPU than the older i3's and will move the games you can play up a few years.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 30 2011, 2:50 am by Centreri.

None.

May 30 2011, 2:56 am Dem0n Post #26

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Yeah, what Cent said is pretty true. You get absolutely no customization with newegg. Since you're looking at an HP laptop, you could just go on their site and customize one of your own. You could get one of their g6t series laptops with almost all of the same specs as the one you linked on newegg (except the cpu would be a tiny bit slower) plus a mediocre graphics card (better than just having integrated) for only like 20 or so bucks more (tax included). You should look on those sites first and see what they have before relying solely on newegg. ;o

May 30 2011, 3:17 am rockz Post #27

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

>mediocre graphics card
it's not much better than integrated.
>2 GB
Yes and I'm lazy as hell too. I have 4 GB. Have I ever come close to using it all? no. Have I ever come close to using 2 GB? not really. There's a rare occasion when I have a few games open, a huge image, a big excel document, 2 browsers with 20 tabs each, and a movie playing. Then I might get up to around 2 GB. But seriously, this is me trying:

And even if 2 GB is a deal breaker, then it's all of $40 to get 4 GB of sodimm, or whatever.

May 30 2011, 3:24 am Centreri Post #28

Meh. I'm using 74% of my 4GB right now without anything intensive running. Again, it depends on how much he wants to multitask.

Edited because I figured it out, yes. :P

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 30 2011, 3:51 am by Centreri.

None.

May 31 2011, 12:10 am Apos Post #29

I order you to forgive yourself!

I don't know if it's the same way for Microsoft Windows, but...

Quote from Arch FAQ
Q) Why is Arch using all my RAM?
A) Essentially, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Many new users notice how the Linux kernel handles memory differently than they are used to. Since accessing data in RAM is much faster than from disk, the kernel caches recently accessed data in memory. The cached data is only cleared when the system begins to run out of unused memory and new data still needs to be loaded.

Perhaps the most common culprit of this confusion is the free command:
[code $ free -m]
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1009 741 267 0 104 359
-/+ buffers/cache: 278 731
Swap: 1537 0 1537
[/code]

It is important to note the -/+ buffers/cache: line -- a representation of the amount of memory that is actually in "active use" and the amount of "available" memory, rather than "unused".

In the above example, a laptop with 1G of total RAM appears to be using 741M of it, with naught but a few idling terminals and web browser open! However, upon examining the emphasized line, see that only 278M of it is in "active use", and in fact 731M is "available" for new data. Apparently, 104M of that "used" memory contains buffered data and 359M contains cached data, both of which can be cleared away if needed. Only 267M of the total is truly "free" of the burden of data storage.

The result of all this? Performance!

Jun 3 2011, 6:22 am TomWaits Post #30

Hey, I'm not sure if you've purchased anything yet, but www.woot.com is having a sale on a pretty decent laptop in your price range. Here's a link to a review. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383858,00.asp

If you're not familiar with woot, they have sales like this once a day, so if you are interested, you should make a purchase before 1AM EST of 6/4/2011.

None.

Jun 3 2011, 9:40 am Sacrieur Post #31

Still Napping

Anything below a dual core 2.0 GHz should not be accepted in a laptop nowadays. Even that is borderline low standard.

None.

Jun 3 2011, 2:13 pm rockz Post #32

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from TomWaits
Hey, I'm not sure if you've purchased anything yet, but www.woot.com is having a sale on a pretty decent laptop in your price range. Here's a link to a review. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383858,00.asp

If you're not familiar with woot, they have sales like this once a day, so if you are interested, you should make a purchase before 1AM EST of 6/4/2011.
the computer I posted has a much better graphics chip and a slightly slower cpu.

Jun 3 2011, 7:36 pm Vrael Post #33

Quote from Centreri
Meh. I'm using 74% of my 4GB right now without anything intensive running. Again, it depends on how much he wants to multitask.

Edited because I figured it out, yes. :P
What the hell are you running? I've maxed my 4GB a few times but that was with some pretty heavy Mathematica programs.

None.

Jun 3 2011, 9:43 pm TomWaits Post #34

Quote from rockz
Quote from TomWaits

the computer I posted has a much better graphics chip and a slightly slower cpu.
No it doesn't. The one I posted has an nVidia 310M as a secondary, high performance GPU to switch to when necessary. I couldn't find too many benchmarks, but there is one here putting them within 3% of each other. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html Either way, I wouldn't expect to be playing too many modern games on a laptop for $500.
On top of that, the one on woot.com has twice the RAM, twice the HDD space, a better keyboard(or at least one the market considers more desirable/valuable.), and in my opinion a higher quality construction.
It is refurbished, though. Comparing hardware, though, the one on woot.com wins. It's selling on other online stores for about $700 refurbished, currently, so for $550 it's a good deal.

Sold out now, anyway.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 3 2011, 10:52 pm by TomWaits.

None.

Options
  Back to forum