Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Blizzard's DotA
Blizzard's DotA
Feb 12 2011, 8:30 am
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 2 3

Apr 26 2011, 1:07 am ClansAreForGays Post #41

Quote from name:FaZ-
Blizzard's DotA will be completely new and may be fundamentally different enough to allow new players to "catch up."
That's what I'm counting on

Apr 26 2011, 1:13 am Tempz Post #42

When i said 3 percent i meant soley for the map in question... the rest are probably for sc2 in general

None.

Apr 26 2011, 5:35 pm Sacrieur Post #43

Still Napping

Blizzard only likes handing out well polished and well-built products, that's why.

I played SotIS, and found it woefully unpowering what sc2 is capable of. It didn't bring anything new to the table. In short, it's crap.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 5:59 pm DevliN Post #44

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The one good thing I will say about SotIS is that it was all coded via Galaxy, rather than using the Trigger GUI. Other than that, I'm not a fan of it. My issue with all DotA clones on SC2, though, is that people assume more is better, especially when it comes to doodad placement. Maybe I've just gotten used to how clean LoL is, but I really appreciate how open it is in terms of lack of clutter.

I played Blizzard Allstars at BlizzCon last year, though, and thought it was phenominal. Blizzard fanboyism aside, I really thought it was an incredible game, and really addictive (as it should be). The spells weren't incredibly flashy or anything, but it all seemed clean and tidy. I can really appreciate that.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 6:55 pm Sacrieur Post #45

Still Napping

Quote from DevliN
The one good thing I will say about SotIS is that it was all coded via Galaxy, rather than using the Trigger GUI. Other than that, I'm not a fan of it. My issue with all DotA clones on SC2, though, is that people assume more is better, especially when it comes to doodad placement. Maybe I've just gotten used to how clean LoL is, but I really appreciate how open it is in terms of lack of clutter.

I played Blizzard Allstars at BlizzCon last year, though, and thought it was phenominal. Blizzard fanboyism aside, I really thought it was an incredible game, and really addictive (as it should be). The spells weren't incredibly flashy or anything, but it all seemed clean and tidy. I can really appreciate that.

Hero Sanctuary (or even TS 1.7) in SC1 was a major accomplishment.
DotA in WC3 was a moderate accomplishment.
SotIS in SC2 is hardly an accomplishment.

---

Blizzard made WoW, and we're doubting their ability to make DotA? Blizzard knows balance and spells with different "hero" characters like the back of their logo.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:03 pm DevliN Post #46

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'm confused. Did you quote my post as if you're responding to me, or just because you agree with it? None of your post seems to have anything to do with what I said, especially considering I was saying that Blizzard's DotA was incredible. I don't think anyone is doubting their ability to make it, the topic is mainly on whether it is worth it for them to make.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 7:04 pm Decency Post #47

Frankly it would surprise me if anyone involved in WoW was a part of SC2 DotA. Projects at Blizzard seem to be kept distinct.

Especially since they'll be trying new gameplay aspects, more so than balance that will prove to be the difficulty of development. Oh, and the massive latency.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 26 2011, 7:11 pm by FaZ-.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:10 pm Sacrieur Post #48

Still Napping

Quote from DevliN
I'm confused. Did you quote my post as if you're responding to me, or just because you agree with it? None of your post seems to have anything to do with what I said, especially considering I was saying that Blizzard's DotA was incredible. I don't think anyone is doubting their ability to make it, the topic is mainly on whether it is worth it for them to make.

I was agreeing :awesome:

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:12 pm DevliN Post #49

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, I agree. Each "universe" has its own section on the Blizzard "campus," and aside from perhaps asking occasional questions to the Diablo or WoW game designers, the SC designers should have it covered. All the designers for Blizzard Allstars are from their map development team, at least.

Not sure about new "gameplay aspects," though. The only thing that was mind-blowing to me was their trigger-based inventory system. Their character selection UI was pretty awesome, as well, though that isn't too difficult to accomplish with a lot of dialogs.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 7:14 pm UnholyUrine Post #50

Staying true to the topic of "whether it is worth it for them to make"

It is if they're planning to keep it available for free (as in only parts of the game need to be paid for, similar to LoL)
It is not if they're planning to make players pay for it as there're alternatives (like LoL and Dota, which to my knowledge via my IRL friends, tons of people are still playing)

Side note

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:19 pm DevliN Post #51

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Where did you hear that B.Net2.0 was made my Activision? As far as I know, the agreement was that after the merger, Activision couldn't make any decisions for Blizzard.

Also I think that the Galaxy Editor is well made. It is complex, but well made. :/

As for the "Blizzard Allstars" name, I definitely like it better than "Blizzard DOTA." It makes sense to call it Allstars, though, since its basically just a bunch of Blizzard heroes from various games duking it out.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 7:39 pm UnholyUrine Post #52

No it's not well made.. as Mesk explained before.

Except it's taken from Dota Allstars, the main site for Dota

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:42 pm Decency Post #53

As usual, Unholy trash talking things he's never even used. Remember that part about stopping the hearsay?

None.

Apr 26 2011, 7:44 pm DevliN Post #54

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Agree to disagree, then, I suppose. I think its fine.

I realize it is taken from DotA Allstars, but I'm saying that name makes more sense given what the game is supposed to be. Aeon of Strike was about the Aeon of Strife, Defense of the Ancients was about defending the "Ancients." Blizzard Allstars is about playing a character from one of the various Blizzard games, and fighting in a MOBA.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 7:55 pm UnholyUrine Post #55

@Faz- .. Yes, I'm sure all the Customer Services in the world are useless

@DevliN .. Yes, "Blizzard Allstars" is a good name.. better than "Blizzard Dota"
Tho it wouldn't hurt them to be a bit more creative lol....

If they wanted to link it to their company, they can mix it with one of their game names.. like "World of Heroes".. or "Heroes of Liberty"
or "Heart of the Heroes" .. or w/e the protoss campaign is.. or "HeroCraft" ..
They can easily make a different name altogether..
I just feel that they didn't even try

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum