Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: World of Starcraft... Eliminated
World of Starcraft... Eliminated
Jan 22 2011, 1:02 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Feb 4 2011, 2:40 pm BeDazed Post #61

There is also a reason why they dislike Starcraft base MMO. Their largest fan-base of StarCraft is not a bunch of RPG players. It's the RTS players, who like real time Starcraft- which is the only thing that makes up the entire genre. Nothing else is RTS, only Starcraft is. But with that in mind, a MMO will replace the entire title with its story continuity. In effect, if they make a World of Starcraft, they will be unable to make a Starcraft 3, and they will effectively lose their RTS fanbase. If that went on, it might have caused some move for something like 'petition for WOStarcraft' like thing. Considering all that, removing WoS was a wise thing to do. I dislike MMORPG in any form anyhow.

None.

Feb 12 2011, 6:50 pm UnholyUrine Post #62

@BeDazed - not 100% true.. I'm sure if an MMO's attractive enough, RTS players would play it too

But the main reason why I'm necroing is this:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/02/11/world-starcraft-mod-renamed-starcraft-universe

Ryan Winzen's Starcraft II mod, World of StarCraft, has been rebranded as "Starcraft Universe," and Blizzard apparently approves of the name change and the direction of the mod after lawyers for the company talked to Winzen at length.

The focus of the mod remains the same, though Winzen has said that many misunderstood the multiplayer aspect of it, calling it an "MMO." That confusion did not help Winzen win any affection with Blizzard. Thankfully, all of that - including the name of the mod - is now water under the bridge.

It has been interesting journey for Winzen, who in the process of defending his modification, gained the favor of Blizzard and got a job offer from Riot Games (makers of the DOTA-like online game League of Legends). Blizzard has even offered to fly Winzen out to its headquarters to meet the StarCraft II development team.

Getting back to the mod, Winzen hopes to have a release sometime this year, if everything goes well. He hopes that the mod will offer such features as customized monsters, bosses, and character classes; customizable weapons, runes, and equipment; a game save system; SCU classes (Infantry, Special-Ops, Demolition, and more); multiplayer maps that support up to 12 players at once; and a unique way of beefing up each class that involves loot instead of experience points.

Source: TechSpot

Main Points.
1. Game is going to happen
2. Renamed to Starcraft Universe (thus debunking any arguments saying that Blizzard not wanting an MMO, meaning that they just wanted to keep the name "World of Starcraft")
3. Guy actually got a job offer from Riot games

None.

Feb 12 2011, 7:46 pm DevliN Post #63

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

This has all been mentioned before. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 12 2011, 8:20 pm NicholasBeige Post #64

Quote from UnholyUrine
Ryan Winzen's Starcraft II mod, World of StarCraft, has been rebranded as "Starcraft Universe"

He hopes that the mod will offer such features as customized monsters, bosses, and character classes; customizable weapons, runes, and equipment; a game save system; SCU classes (Infantry, Special-Ops, Demolition, and more); multiplayer maps that support up to 12 players at once; and a unique way of beefing up each class that involves loot instead of experience points.

Main Points?
1. it was renamed.
2. who gives a shit - it's supposed 'features' are nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking.

and:
Quote from DevliN
This has all been mentioned before. :/

None.

Feb 12 2011, 9:05 pm Dem0n Post #65

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from name:Cardinal
2. who gives a shit - it's supposed 'features' are nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking.
Yet it's more than what will ever be produced here at SEN, so we can all stop hatin'. :rolleyes:

Feb 13 2011, 1:16 pm payne Post #66

:payne:

Lol, was the word "StarCraft" censored because of this or it was before?
Just tried to publish a map with "StarCrat I" in the description and it wouldn't let me. :><:

None.

Feb 13 2011, 11:15 pm DevliN Post #67

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

He's able to call his map StarCraft Universe, so I doubt it.

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 14 2011, 2:10 am payne Post #68

Then why is it a censored word for me? D:

None.

Feb 14 2011, 2:14 am DevliN Post #69

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Because you aren't special in the eyes of Blizzard. Who knows.

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 14 2011, 2:26 am payne Post #70

Quote from DevliN
Because you aren't special in the eyes of Blizzard. Who knows.
How can that be? :devlin:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum