Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: (Maybe) Getting A New Computer
(Maybe) Getting A New Computer
Dec 27 2010, 12:03 am
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >

Jan 7 2011, 1:30 am Dem0n Post #61

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Also, do you guys know of any things of equal performance that can save me a couple bucks on things? Even if it's like 5 bucks or so, I'd still like to get that. ;P

Jan 7 2011, 4:30 am rockz Post #62

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I only know of faster stuff for cheaper, (hard drive) and slower stuff for cheaper (cpu), which I've already linked you to.

Whatever, I'd at least get the triple core and a haf.

Do you have anyone in your family/friends who goes to college?
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

You've got that XP disc which will work for 2 years before you go to college, where it's likely you'll get windows for free. (if it doesn't work buy windows later? However, I've installed around 20 computers with the same windows OEM disc and never had a problem. Fuck I've even got like 8 copies of different versions of windows lying around I'm never going to use again).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jan 7 2011, 6:04 pm ShadowFlare Post #63

As of this morning, that Acer 21.5" that Ex mentioned is on a 3-day sale price of about $120 with free shipping.

None.

Jan 7 2011, 11:36 pm Dem0n Post #64

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

It's done! I got everything in the picture above except the RAM and windows 7 (changed RAM to 4 gb and got Windows 7 off of microsoft's student discount :D)! Thanks for your help guys.

Jan 7 2011, 11:52 pm rockz Post #65

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151188
and my mobo/cpu combo is $10 cheaper too. Huzzah! Wait, it's a different motherboard Now they're just the same price. Difference is supposed to be sata 6.0 Gbps, but newegg is saying sata 3.0 Gbps.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581113

Differences in the motherboards:
GB+/G+
Ram slots 4/2
IDE 0/1
Floppy 0/1
Sata 6/4

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jan 8 2011, 12:11 am Dem0n Post #66

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

..but I already bought the stuff. ;o But I still have a question. I'm going to download windows 7 and install it that way, but how would I do that on my built computer. Would I download the installer onto this computer, and then put it onto the other one via flashdrive? O.o

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 8 2011, 12:20 am by Dem0nS1ayer.

Jan 8 2011, 2:16 am Lanthanide Post #67

Download it on your current computer. Ideally you would then burn it to a DVD, but putting it onto a USB flashdisk or USB removable drive will probably also work, but burnt DVD would be the best bet. Probably need a dual layer (9.7 GB) DVD rather than single layer one.

None.

Jan 8 2011, 2:35 am rockz Post #68

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

single dvd works. It's a 2,443,256 KB iso that you'll download.

And I posted that 16 minutes after you said you bought it. Thought I deleted it, but apparently not.

Jan 12 2011, 12:11 am Dem0n Post #69

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I got it and put it together and...

IT WORKS! But, the fan is really loud. Like, I mean REALLY FUCKING loud. Why is that? Is that just how it is, or did I do something wrong? :O

Also, is there a way I can test everything to make sure that I put it all together correctly?

Jan 12 2011, 12:29 am DevliN Post #70

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The noise level depends on the fan, usually. In time you can replace them with quieter ones if you really want to.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 12 2011, 3:38 am Dem0n Post #71

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Well, none of my CDs work. I'm trying to install things like the video card, but the disc will not play. When I click on the disc drive in My Computer, it freezes. Every time. The disc drive worked perfectly fine when I put in my XP disc to install it, but now it won't work for any of the driver discs.

Jan 12 2011, 3:41 am DevliN Post #72

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

FYI if you are able to see your desktop with a monitor plugged in, the video card doesn't need to be "installed."

You can also download all the latest driver software from their various websites, which is probably your best bet.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 12 2011, 3:46 am Dem0n Post #73

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Well y'see, the problem is that I need to update my drivers before I can configure my internet, but I can't do that until I get these discs to work. ;|

Jan 12 2011, 3:49 am DevliN Post #74

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Hmm what internet provider do you have? I don't remember having to anything like that in years. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 12 2011, 3:50 am Dem0n Post #75

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I have Verizon FiOS. I called them and they said I may need to update the stuff for it to work.

Jan 12 2011, 3:55 am DevliN Post #76

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Oh, interesting. I currently use AT&T U-Verse (which from what I understand is basically the same as FiOS) and could just plug in for it to work. As far as drivers go, the only ones I needed that are related to the internet when I built my current computer were the mobo drivers, but even then I don't remember that being a big deal. That's so odd.

Can you download the drivers on another computer and burn them on a disc or put them on a flash drive to transfer to the new computer?

My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 12 2011, 6:15 am ShadowFlare Post #77

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
I got it and put it together and...

IT WORKS! But, the fan is really loud. Like, I mean REALLY FUCKING loud. Why is that? Is that just how it is, or did I do something wrong? :O
Make sure nothing is touching the fan. Also you could check the BIOS settings to see if there is some kind of auto fan speed setting. Usually they default to full speed, but often you can configure it so that it tries to keep it quieter when possible.

None.

Jan 12 2011, 6:48 am rockz Post #78

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

how are you posting on SEN if you can't use the internet? Just download the drivers. Your internet won't work until you install the ethernet drivers.

Jan 12 2011, 1:41 pm Dem0n Post #79

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm using my old computer right now. I have no clue how to download the drivers. The discs that my hardware came with won't work. They don't autoplay, and my computer freezes whenever I try to manually run them. The xp disc worked when I installed that, so I don't know why these discs won't.

Jan 12 2011, 1:56 pm NudeRaider Post #80

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

It's possible that you pulled out the SATA/IDE cable of your DVD drive and/or mobo a bit. Replug them just to be sure.

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
I have no clue how to download the drivers.
Wow, seriously stop playing stupid. It's not hard. Just google the hardware brand and model names + "driver" and plenty of sites come up. Or go to your manufacturer's site and look for the drivers. There'll be usually a section for drivers or support.
Copy the downloaded package on a usb drive and install it on your new computer.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 12 2011, 3:09 pm by NudeRaider.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum