Nov 10 2010, 7:59 pm
By: DevliN
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

Nov 11 2010, 6:35 am payne Post #21

:payne:

I have an amendment to propose:

GalaxyWiki.Net Consitution

Part the First:
All member sites agree to have equal privileges, regardless of size, popularity, and productivity.

Part the Second:
Each member site is allowed to choose one representative, who will be given administrative powers at the wiki, and will also be given staff forum access.

Part the Third:
All member sites agree to only advertise their site in the correct area, without spamming links to their site in incorrect places. This includes placing your websites at the bottom of an already-existing list, unless it has been specified as an alphabetically-sorted list.

Part the Fourth:
All member sites agree to link to GalaxyWiki.Net in the main menu bar of their site.

Part the Fifth:
All member sites agree to modify their own Terms Of Agreement so it the following line: "By registering on this website, you agree that any material you will submit can be reproduced (read: copy-pasted) in the GalaxyWiki.Net resource. Of course, due credits will be given and this clause doesn't authorize websites other than GalaxyWiki.Net to reproduce your work without your agreement."

Any thoughts on my version? :O

None.

Nov 11 2010, 6:56 am DevliN Post #22

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

My take on it:
GalaxyWiki.net Consitution

PART 1
All member sites agree to have equal privileges and access, regardless of the website's size, popularity, and productivity.

PART 2
All member sites agree to only advertise their site in the correct area, without spamming links to their site in incorrect places. It is acceptable to include links in a "See also" section of a given article, as long as the link is relevant and not for self-promotion.

PART 3
Each member site is allowed to choose one representative who will be given administrative powers on the wiki. This admin will also have administrative access to an accompanying forum (made solely for the discussion of the wiki). If necessary, more moderators from the participating communities may be added if all the admins agree to it.

PART 4
All member sites agree to link to the communal wiki (http://www.GalaxyWiki.net) as their main asset for StarCraft or StarCraft 2 resources. The point of this wiki being that each community pools their knowledge together to create one knowledge-base for everything related to StarCraft 2 map making.

PART 5
All member sites agree to modify their own Terms of Service to add a clause allowing relevant information to be copied to the joint wiki. For example something like the following would suffice: "By registering on this website, you agree that any material you will submit can be reproduced in the GalaxyWiki.net resource without your prior consent. Of course, credit will be given where it is due. This clause does not authorize websites other than GalaxyWiki.net to reproduce your work without your consent."

I don't mean to pull an IP, but since I'm paying for the thing (and I'm an Admin of our current wiki), I figured I'd manage SEN's spot. :P We can also have a Mod from each if need be, as long as the Admins are equal.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 11 2010, 7:13 am DevliN Post #23

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

For those curious, here's the skin I'm working on so far:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 12 2010, 1:37 am by payne. Reason: Topic clean-up.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 11 2010, 7:16 am payne Post #24

Let me justify the reason why I've switched Part 2 and Part 3: it's because I feel like Part 1 is kind of related to Part 3, so I thought making both as close as possible was the best for the comprehension. Thus, I propose once again an amendment, over Devlin's take this time:

PART 1
All member sites agree to have equal privileges and access, regardless of the website's size, popularity, and productivity.

PART 2
Each member site is allowed to choose one representative who will be given administrative powers on the wiki. This admin will also have administrative access to an accompanying forum (made solely for the discussion of the wiki). If necessary, more moderators from the participating communities may be added if all the admins agree to it.

PART 3
All member sites agree to only advertise their site in the correct area, without spamming links to their site in incorrect places. It is acceptable to include links in a "See also" section of a given article, as long as the link is relevant and not for self-promotion.

PART 4
All member sites agree to link to the communal wiki (http://www.GalaxyWiki.net) as their main asset for StarCraft or StarCraft 2 resources. The point of this wiki being that each community pools their knowledge together to create one knowledge-base for everything related to StarCraft 2 map making.

PART 5
All member sites agree to modify their own Terms of Service to add a clause allowing relevant information to be copied to the joint wiki. For example something like the following would suffice: "By registering on this website, you agree that any material you will submit can be reproduced in the GalaxyWiki.net resource without your prior consent. Of course, credit will be given where it is due. This clause does not authorize websites other than GalaxyWiki.net to reproduce your work without your consent."

PART 6
Any new wiki article created should be conform to the GalaxyWiki.Net Convention, which has been established by the administratives and moderators.

I believe GalaxyWiki should purely aim at being a wiki for StarCraft II... else, the name if kind of mis-leading. But I'll leave Devlin's amendment to Part 4 as it is until clarification has been made over the point I've just raised.
Also, may I propose myself as a Wiki Mod? :)

As for the first move for the Convention:
GalaxyWiki.net Convention

"See Also" categories should be sorted alphabetically by the title of the linked page. (Title with link - Facultative Description)
Hotkeys should be bolded.
Field names (such as "Unit - Name") from within the Data Editor should be bolded.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 12 2010, 1:38 am by payne.

None.

Nov 11 2010, 7:19 am DevliN Post #25

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'm not really a fan of Part 6 considering it isn't established by administrators and moderators. If the other admins want to talk about something like that, then fine, but for now that isn't necessary.

My inclusion of StarCraft in Part 4 wasn't meant to imply it will also be a SC1 wiki. That can be removed.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 12 2010, 1:38 am by payne. Reason: Topic clean-up.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 11 2010, 10:14 am DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from DevliN
For those curious, here's the skin I'm working on so far:
I'm thinking about moving the planet or finding something else to put there. Unfortunately due to the way I added the logo, the logos on all other skins look messed up. I may just go in and edit the others so they display the logo in the same way.

Also, I made it so that [galaxy][/galaxy] automatically puts the text into a box like we do it on our wiki. If DJC can figure out a way to implement his code into a wiki extension, I'd be happy to use his instead.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 11 2010, 4:32 pm ImagoDeo Post #27

I'm a little surprised, actually. This sounds like it could go far - very far. Any way I can help, I will.

None.

Nov 11 2010, 5:28 pm Devourer Post #28

Hello

When we really create a wiki we got to elaborate/explain as good as possible, not stupid intries like "Set variable. It's an action in the editor." Seriously, this does not have to be listed as an article, there should be an article about variables in general, though. Oh and they obviously need examples, hints, difference between local and global and all that.

There are enough wiki having tons of articles (á 2 sentences). Quality? No. Quantity? YAY! Seriously, I'll talk to delvin and the other sites and we probably will create rules.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Nov 11 2010, 7:50 pm DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

A majority of our articles are pretty thorough. When I do put this wiki up finally, I'll go through and weed out the articles that need to be cleaned up or just deleted.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 11 2010, 10:21 pm NicholasBeige Post #30

Our wiki has two categories in general. Well written, structured and detailed articles/tutorials and reference 'articles' which are a sentence or two describing something.

I personally do not see the need for the reference section? As long as the articles/tutorials take proper care in describing what each object is and is relevant for.

Then you have the problem of wanting to create a tutorial that simply 'shows how to do something' without making a wall-of-text. Ie. for more advanced mappers, as opposed to total beginners. Dilemma much?

Anyways.. I didn't come here to argue ;)

None.

Nov 12 2010, 1:41 am payne Post #31

So I guess we're agreeing on the fact that there will need to be Conventions? ;o
And anyone has amendments to do on my proposition?

None.

Nov 12 2010, 2:43 am DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I don't know what you mean by "Conventions." Can you elaborate?

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 12 2010, 2:44 am Jack Post #33

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from DevliN
I don't know what you mean by "Conventions." Can you elaborate?
He means there has to be article guidelines/minimums, so that people don't spam horrible articles everywhere.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 12 2010, 2:49 am DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Oh, after all this talk of a "Constitution" I couldn't help but only think of a "Convention" in terms of a gathering to sign an important document, like the Constitution. [/Americanhistory]

I agree that a set of guidelines should be made, but I think that should be up to the admins in charge of this Wiki. That's something that can be discussed once each site has their admin chosen and the neutral forum is set up for everyone to discuss things.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 12 2010, 3:23 am payne Post #35

Quote from DevliN
Oh, after all this talk of a "Constitution" I couldn't help but only think of a "Convention" in terms of a gathering to sign an important document, like the Constitution. [/Americanhistory]

I agree that a set of guidelines should be made, but I think that should be up to the admins in charge of this Wiki. That's something that can be discussed once each site has their admin chosen and the neutral forum is set up for everyone to discuss things.
Re-read. :P
Quote from payne

PART 6
Any new wiki article created should be conform to the GalaxyWiki.Net Convention, which has been established by the administratives and moderators.

As for the first move for the Convention:
GalaxyWiki.net Convention

- "See Also" categories should be sorted alphabetically by the title of the linked page. (Title with link - Facultative Description)
- Hotkeys should be bolded.
- Field names (such as "Unit - Name") from within the Data Editor should be bolded.

None.

Nov 12 2010, 6:46 am DevliN Post #36

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Right, and again the "administratives and moderators" have not established it, you have. The rules should (and will) be figured out by the administrators (and moderators, if we have any eventually).

So yes, I agree that articles should fit a standard, but that standard will be decided by those in charge.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 12 2010, 8:07 pm payne Post #37

Quote from DevliN
Right, and again the "administratives and moderators" have not established it, you have. The rules should (and will) be figured out by the administrators (and moderators, if we have any eventually).

So yes, I agree that articles should fit a standard, but that standard will be decided by those in charge.
While only mods and admins should decide what goes in there, discussion with the members could be to be considered. This was an attempt to help you guys. >_>
Moreover, the Convention has all the advantages of the world to be completed before the official launch of the website, so you guys should get some discussions going. ;)

None.

Nov 15 2010, 2:17 pm payne Post #38

Just wondering: do we have an approximate date of launch?

None.

Nov 15 2010, 2:54 pm NicholasBeige Post #39

Yeah - I'd like to know when this goes ahead. Should be very good.

SC2Mapster are a bit too 'elitist' for my liking.

None.

Nov 15 2010, 7:16 pm DevliN Post #40

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

No date yet. Jack and I have been using a test version of it to modify the skin, so it'll probably go live once the skin is completely done.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum