Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Want SC2 Desktop PC
Want SC2 Desktop PC
Sep 22 2010, 2:16 pm
By: poiuy_qwert  

Sep 25 2010, 9:19 pm poiuy_qwert Post #21

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Just so everyone knows I don't want to do any OCing, and I've decided that I don't want a SSD. Also, would it be possible to get the build rocks showed in his first post updated/reposted with the new parts that fit the new information I have provided? Thanks!

Sep 25 2010, 10:18 pm Lanthanide Post #22

Good choice on not OCing. There really is very little point in it, these days.

Bad choice on the SSD, I have to say that dollar for dollar it's the best component I ever put in my PC.

None.

Sep 25 2010, 10:29 pm NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

In the post above you recommended waiting with SSDs, now that he follows this advice you call it a bad choice? O.o

Sep 26 2010, 4:09 am Lanthanide Post #24

I said it *may* be worth waiting for the new SSDs to come out. qwert simply said "I don't want a SSD", he didn't say anything like "I won't get an SSD at the moment, I'll wait for the new ones".

None.

Sep 26 2010, 4:15 am Centreri Post #25

Relatively ancient and inactive

Eh. Newegg shows some decent capacity SSD's (for use with a traditional HDD) for under $200 right now. But I don't know if they're good, because I'm not techy enough. Lathanide, I think if you made a nice build, that'd do more to convince him. I think Rockz isn't familiar enough with SSD's to make a good build with them, and neither am I. If you spent below $200 on the SSD's now, you get them now and an excuse to upgrade in a year when the nicer new ones come out.

None.

Sep 26 2010, 6:48 am Lanthanide Post #26

As I don't live in the US, I don't have any familiarity with what are good prices for components. Also, I haven't kept up with recent technologies since I built my computer in 2007. I only know about SSDs because I read up about them on Anandtech and bought one for my laptop (which is now in the desktop I am typing this on).

None.

Sep 26 2010, 1:42 pm rockz Post #27

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

That's good, because neither does poiuy qwert.

No more fancy formatting, sorry. The build hasn't changed much, just replaced old deals and a processor.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30037
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54626
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52499
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=43090&promoid=1030
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46281&promoid=1030
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50895

As for cases, you'll just have to pick one you like. Go on newegg to see better pics, but buy from ncix unless it's cheaper to buy from newegg.
Good cases:
Cooler Master 690, 692, Centurion 5, HAF 912
Lian Li (lancool is their budget line with steel instead of aluminum) virtually any. I use a pc-k7b, but the k58 is alright too. If you want classy, get the a05n, so long as you're not overclocking.
You can also check the guide I posted. Remember that a good case never has to be upgraded.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 26 2010, 11:41 pm Lanthanide Post #28

Quote from rockz
That's good, because neither does poiuy qwert.
To clarify, I live on the other side of the planet, and practically no computer component shops in the US will ship here. Furthermore, many brands and products that are commonplace in the US aren't available here, and on the flipside many brands and products available here aren't available in the US. The relative prices between products are also quite different. To top it all off, I buy stuff through my mother's work where I get cheap prices, so my investigation into hardware doesn't go much further than their product catalogue.

Living in the US means you have a lot more in common with someone who lives in Canada than I do.

None.

Sep 28 2010, 1:38 am poiuy_qwert Post #29

Well I decided to get the parts (updated main post for anyone who might be looking later on). Thanks everyone for your help.

Oct 3 2010, 12:10 am poiuy_qwert Post #30

Well I've been playing SC2 on it and its amazing :D Thanks again for all the help everyone! Now the only help I need is finding out why there is no sound going through the HDMI cable to the TV (have to connect speakers to the headphone jack).

Oct 3 2010, 6:55 am rockz Post #31

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

That's windows 7.

Make sure that the TV is on before you turn on the computer. HDMI relies on the speakers to be present when the drivers load up. Since the speakers were off, the HDMI cuts the audio off. Why? Because someone fucked up (not you). If you find a problem I'd like to know. More precisely, my brother would like to know.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 3 2010, 2:18 pm poiuy_qwert Post #32

Thanks, I'll try that! And sure I'll post up any problems, though so far everything has gone so well, I'm surprised :P

Oct 4 2010, 3:18 pm poiuy_qwert Post #33

Ok well, your suggestion didn't seem to work, though im gunna have to test it again because of the next problem I encountered. It seems Windows 7 is really good at getting stuck in the middle of automatic updates (happened when attempting to restart and test your suggestion)... So I've disabled automatic updates for now and will have to test again, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the shitty auto-update for Windows 7?

Oct 4 2010, 3:29 pm rockz Post #34

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

manual updates. (update.microsoft.com).

downloading takes half the time, so just try and try again.

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/207834-no-audio-through-hdmi-tv.html
google some stuff, see if that works, etc...

Ensure you've got the absolute latest drivers.

Oct 4 2010, 3:52 pm poiuy_qwert Post #35

I can't check the manual updates page since I'm at work, but does it come in a batch? I have a feeling it wont, and I would hate having to install all 47 updates it says I need manually :X

And I'm pretty sure I have the most up to date drivers. I got them straight from NVIDIA over here, which states "Upgrades HD Audio driver version 1.0.15.0 (for supported GPUs)." in the update list.

Thanks again for the help!

Oct 4 2010, 5:07 pm rockz Post #36

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yeah. If you do the "turn off automatic updates" button in control panel, then go to update.microsoft.com (in IE, or mimicing IE in firefox), you can check for updates. they will download and then install (sort of) through the browser. If that doesn't work, you can manually choose which updates you DON'T want to install, and all of them will be a batch.

Please note that you also need your chipset drivers, which can be found through the motherboard's driver page. I recommend installing the realtek shit from realtek though. It might be a good idea to also customize the driver itself if you don't use the ugly UI they like to use (seriously, it's the worst software I've ever seen), but that would require a bit of testing and probably too much work. Realtek downloads are slow too, so you may have to get it from majorgeeks or something.

Oct 4 2010, 5:15 pm poiuy_qwert Post #37

Ah great, I really didn't expect the manual updates to be easy like that. Thanks.

I know I have that driver, though I'm not sure if I got the most up to date version. I'll try that too.

Thanks again!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 4 2010, 5:22 pm by poiuy_qwert.

Options
  Back to forum