Upgradan
Sep 5 2010, 4:19 pm
By: MadZombie  

Sep 6 2010, 1:36 am rockz Post #21

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

can you wait til black friday?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 6 2010, 1:49 am MadZombie Post #22

If I wanted to do anything serious (custom built computer) It wouldn't be until next year. I just wanted to check prices/see whats up with things I already have.

:[

None.

Sep 6 2010, 5:01 am NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The CPU is responsible for the physics calculations and most of the time for the wireframe models, terrain mesh, units, etc. Reducing view distance helps your CPU the most. The physics part can be taken over by more modern GPUs but that's not the case for you. (unless you get a new one, which is why a new GPU can help relieving your CPU for games that support it)
The GFX is responsible for all the special effects like lighting, shaders and particles, stores the textures and renders the whole thing (puts all data together to a 2D picture according to the specified resolution).
The RAM holds all data relevant to the game. If you run out your HDD will be used which makes loading new data horribly slow. You notice that you ran out of RAM when the game stutters heavily, barely gives you any frames, but will go back to normal after a few seconds, up until a minute or two. This usually happens when you scroll in another area or a big battle starts or something like that. The GPU RAM is mainly used for textures, while the main memory holds music/sounds, models and all numeric data.

You can just mess around with the old HDD safely. You cannot damage anything unless you plug in cables the wrong way. (you need a lot force to do it wrong)
You should note your current settings though. Jumpering of your current HDD, BIOS settings, which connector/cable you put in where. If you can't revert to the old state your computer can't boot.
The way it should be is your current drive is Master or Cable Select and the old drive Slave or Cable Select. In BIOS you should set the IDE channels to auto detect.
The connector at the end where is more cable to the mid connector should go to your motherboard. The other end connector should go into your current HDD. This should already be that way. So plug your old HDD in the middle connector.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 6 2010, 10:53 am by NudeRaider.

Sep 6 2010, 7:19 am ShadowFlare Post #24

The computer that the topic is about is probably new enough that it would have a SATA hard drive.

None.

Sep 6 2010, 7:44 am NudeRaider Post #25

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The old hdd is IDE for sure and it's very likely that his motherboard still has IDE ports.
If nothing is connected to them then just take the IDE cable of the old computer and use it to connect to the new computer. No further tinkering required. Well maybe IDE channels are set to disabled in the BIOS. If so, set to automatic.

Sep 6 2010, 9:16 am ShadowFlare Post #26

Yeah, it very likely has at least one IDE channel, if not two. I think nForce 4 series had 2, though I'm not sure of the AM2 version.

None.

Sep 6 2010, 12:55 pm MadZombie Post #27

Sadly the old HD is IDE and I could not find a place for the ribbon data cable nor the different kind of power cable it needs. Very disappointed. I really want to acess that HD too. :(

Trying something out. I don't think I read nudes post right.

Edit: Fucking DELL. I'd need a SATA/IDE converter. I can't even remember what else is on that old HD which makes me want to have access to it even more :C

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 6 2010, 2:56 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Options
  Back to forum