polls make the thread more interesting
polls make the thread more interesting
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
agree 3

34%
disagree 6

67%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 9 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 22 2010, 2:55 am Alzarath Post #21

Praetor

I was thinking 100hp max. Maybe have mutliple hp items. Like, 25, 50, and 100. With rarity of drops depending on which one it is, of course.

None.

Aug 23 2010, 12:45 pm Sand Wraith Post #22

she/her

I'm starting to move into the final stages of system development for this.

Trigger optimization will be top priority after I finish with the last few features.

EDIT: Just so you know, I posted this on sc2c.org (thread). Play nice with them, especially any of the vets there ;o

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 23 2010, 1:11 pm by Sand Wraith.

Aug 24 2010, 4:54 am Sand Wraith Post #23

she/her

UPDATE forgot > 12:52 AM August-24-10
-powerups spin on the spot
-powerups play walk animation when being dragged
-tweaked speed at which powerups are pulled
-some trigger optimizations
-fixed Zergling firing on 20-29 power
-shortened lifespan of all Overderps
-reworked power-up system
-modifed some bullet properties
-some bullet/powerup properties moved into data editor (e.g. invulnerability, no supply, etc.)

Aug 24 2010, 3:49 pm Sand Wraith Post #24

she/her

UPDATE 1:08 AM August-24-10 > 11:45 AM August-24-10
-more trigger optimization
-shortened CD on bomb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 25 2010, 12:51 am by Sand Wraith.

Aug 30 2010, 3:02 am TiKels Post #25

Unless I am mistaken you are using keyboard button detection, which will inevitably cause lag in a multiplayer game... You should consider optimizing this.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 30 2010, 4:20 am payne Post #26

:payne:

People should really just stop using WASD.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 6:02 am Sand Wraith Post #27

she/her

1) I don't really intend this to be for multiplayer. Reflex-games are just stupid when things like lag come into factor.

2) I think WASD could be really useful for something like a flight simulator game - WASD for movement, mouse for turning.
In my own map, I'm just using the arrow keys, so this definitely does not apply to me. :rolleyes:

Sep 6 2010, 1:16 pm Sand Wraith Post #28

she/her

All right, so, finally, between my own frustration, sleep deprivation, and general exhaustion, I'm being forced to pose my first actual question for SC2 mapping.

-

Presently, I'm trying to rework the deathbombing and respawning system.

When ULTRALISK dies, a 0.3s window of opportunity is opened, allowing the player to use a bomb (press X) in order to devour the history of ever being killed.
AKA the player can trade a bomb for a life within 0.3s of dying (the bomb goes off normally, the player loses the bomb, and the player keeps his life at whatever it's at).

However, I'm having some troubles with reworking it properly, so I've decided to just say "fuck it, let SEN think of something."

All I really need is a basis. ATM, I just can't get my head around including both deathbombing and normal respawning.

Argh, but, in the end, I have to rebuild respawning from the ground up.

An update will be incoming. Here's a preview of what I have in mind.

UPDATE forgot > _
+Bombs to Infestors (Minifestors), vs. Drones
+Drones, RGB: 25HP, 50HP, 100HP (remembered to scale scores)
+No more random Probes with +10; Observers are +10 power now
-fixed retard Probe (sort of, not really)
-death-bomb window set to 0.3s
+reworked death-bombing mechanics
-changed a setting in creation of bullets, and changed some pathing properties
-fixed the bomb removing normal units (should only be enemy projectiles)

While we're at it, is there any way I can get my units to not play a turn animation? I'd rather have them simply spin on the spot, not be retards like the Probe that slide on their rib cages along the ground.

-

EDIT:

All right, I've come up with a strategy that I'm noting down here to solve my respawning problem.

-on death
-open window
-bomb while window open: BOOL=1
-end of window, BOOL==1: recreate ULTRALISK (at 1/3 HP)
-end of window, BOOL==0:
--if lives==0: game over
--if lives>0: recreate Ultralisk
-end of window, regardless: BOOL=0

ULTRALISK recreated only if a life remains or if deathbomb has occured. Otherwise, game over.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Sep 6 2010, 1:33 pm by Sand Wraith.

Sep 6 2010, 2:06 pm Alzarath Post #29

Praetor

In the Data Editor, go to any unit that you want to revive. Set 'Stats - Death Time' to '-1.0000'

In the trigger editor, you have to run a script that calls a Unit Revive action. Because Blizzard decided not to just make it an action. Here's an example trigger:

Resurrection Trigger

None.

Sep 6 2010, 2:23 pm Sand Wraith Post #30

she/her

You forgot to mention it was ID 77.

Anyway, that's pretty interesting. Maybe I'll define a custom action and use the custom script as an example or whatever, so I can use it in the GUI (though sooner or later, I might move to plain GE script).

I think I might just choose to go with the plan I've made though. Maybe. We'll see.

Sep 6 2010, 2:25 pm Alzarath Post #31

Praetor

Why? :\

None.

Sep 6 2010, 2:49 pm Sand Wraith Post #32

she/her

Quote from name:Artanis186
Why? :\

'Cause either I'm a fag or because I like doing things myself and claim something as my work 100% (which is why I despise asking for help in the first place).

Maybe both.

(Not as reluctant for outsourcing and finding/using resources.)

Anyway, we might use your method in the future, if we need to. I would prefer not to, but it's definitely useful to know that tidbit. ;o
Would be useful for an AoS, amirite?

Sep 6 2010, 3:32 pm Alzarath Post #33

Praetor

I know how you feel, I'm the same way, but if I really can't find something, I'll ask. Usually I find it myself eventually anyways though. Eh, more minerals for me. :P

There are other ways to revive specific heroes, I think. Not sure.And who's we?

None.

Sep 11 2010, 2:49 am Sand Wraith Post #34

she/her

Quote from name:Artanis186
There are other ways to revive specific heroes, I think. Not sure.And who's we?

How? -> I/We use first/third person interchangeably.

Now, come help me http://www.staredit.net/258733/ . I need to figure out how to get the model colouring to work without resorting to triggers. (You can find a sneak peek of the newest update.)

Here's how the update progress is going. I'll soon be able to release it. I might add Stalkers as a new enemy that will provide Drone powerups.
UPDATE forgot > _
-Bombs to Infestors (Minifestors), instead of Drones
+Drones, RGB: 25HP, 50HP, 100HP (remembered to scale scores)
-No more random Probes with +10; Observers are +10 power now
-drop rates adjusted for Observers
-reworked death-bombing and respawning mechanics
-more optimizations
-on bomb, all powerups and missiles in entire map are magnetized/removed
-removed bullets (through bomb) grant 1 score each
-miscellaneous data editor changes
-now tracks number of SCVs collected
-reworked power levels
*0 (1 ling)
*8 (2 lings)
*18 (side lings)
*28 (far side lings)
*42 (centre hydra)
*60 (side hydras)
*80 (lord 1)
*102 (lord 2)
*128 (seer)
-removed normal HP regen
-on death, 25% of current power is lost

Sep 11 2010, 4:02 am Sand Wraith Post #35

she/her

UPDATE forgot > 11:58 PM September-10-10
-Bombs to Infestors (Minifestors), instead of Drones
-Drones, RGB: 25HP, 50HP, 100HP
-No more random Probes with +10; Observers are +10 power now
-drop rates adjusted for Observers
-reworked death-bombing and respawning mechanics
-more optimizations
-on bomb, all powerups and missiles in entire map are magnetized/removed
-removed bullets (through bomb) grant 1 score each
-miscellaneous data editor changes
-now tracks number of SCVs collected
-reworked power levels
*0 (1 ling)
*8 (2 lings)
*18 (side lings)
*28 (far side lings)
*42 (centre hydra)
*60 (side hydras)
*80 (lord 1)
*102 (lord 2)
*128 (seer)
-removed normal HP regen
-on death, 25% of current power is lost
-updated hints
-Stalkers spawn too now

Go download the map and test it out! I'm just about finished with this testing ground, and I'll be moving into a real game soon enough, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 11 2010, 4:54 am payne Post #36

:payne:

- I haven't seen any HP item, or I was just lacking attention.
- Why does the Bomb lures all items to you? If you allow it for this ability only, it makes no sense. You should create a Circular region centered on the Ultralisk that lures all items within it to him.
- When you shoot only a 1-line zergling (first power), the collision should be easier. It was really hard to shoot zealots/marines.
- Prevent units from leaving that cliff. If looks ridiculous to see them running at the bottom and pop at the top of the cliffs on the other side.
- The game was actually pretty funny and enjoyable :)

None.

Sep 11 2010, 5:40 am Sand Wraith Post #37

she/her

1) I've fixed this. I can't believe I forgot to add the Stalker to the custom condition... -_-

2) In the present context, luring all powerups doesn't make much sense (although it used to be of a limited range). However, I've changed this to affect the whole map because of the context it will be used in later.

3) Since this is an issue that's been brought up a lot, I'm definitely going to consider doing this. However, I still need to see how this works out when the game is vertically scrolling and the only direction to shoot in is up. If the issue is brought up again in the real map, I'll tweak the Zergling damage and spawn rate accordingly (like starting off with shooting 2 lings).

4) I've fixed this now. I've never really thought of it as an issue, but now that I think about it, it probably is. However, I'm merely checking if the point of the bullet is ground-pathable. I'm worried that normal enemies might actually cause the bullet to be removed before it can deal damage.
If a bullet does not connect and impact, dealing damage and causing Zerg gore, when it should, please report this as a bug.

5) Thanks! I like it when people find stuff funny/enjoyable.

EDIT:

Uploading new version, just wait a few minutes...

QUICKFIX 1:24 AM September-11-10 > 1:41 AM September-11-10
-fixed Stalkers not dropping any Drones
-bullets travelling into untraversable ground are destroyed (possible bug: bullets sometimes don't connect. Please report if you notice this.)

Options
  Back to forum