Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The Blasphemy Challenge!!!101!
The Blasphemy Challenge!!!101!
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Nov 15 2007, 1:00 am
By: JordanN
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8

Dec 22 2007, 3:01 pm Minority Post #141

Quote from JordanN
Quote from AntiSleep
Free will is to a large extent an illusion. We are shaped by our environment fare more than most of us care to admit. The answer you get to the question will depend largely on the beliefs of the parents, the more crazy the belief, the more likely it is to be passed on with defense mechanisms intact.

Wrong,Wrong,Wrong and Wrong. All those situations fail to meet the standards of free will. But to make things fair I'll provide the prove.
'the standards of free will'
What?

Quote from JordanN
So heres one. Remember that thing about Jonestown and how this cult preacher manage to pick up poor people and then make them fund him in his church. Then when he had enough money they then flew to Guyana were they built a town for him. Then after some suspicions the army was coming so Jim Jones(cult leader) told everyone to go kill themselves with a poison mixed drink. Now out of the 900(?) people one women spoke out against this insanity. Her name was Christine. She didn't wanted to end her life because of this one man. Then out of knowing, the brainwashed people killed her. (Very sad. Well now she has to await resurrection.) Now you can't tell me that those 900(?) people couldn't rise and over thrown this one man? If Christine could do it why not them? She proved there was free will and they rather take their own life then just overthrow and get of there? And to make matters worst alot of the children also didn't want to die but as cowards they were the insane people killed them too.
...you just said that far less than one percent of those people managed to stand up to the cult leader... How does that help your argument that most people can overthrow their beliefs?

None.

Dec 22 2007, 3:53 pm Dapperdan Post #142

Quote from MA
You didn't gg anything. Our whole discussion, even anti's, had never been relevant to the topic in the first place (because this topic was about the blasphemy challenge link jordann posted). All you are trying to do is "gg" my posts by skewing interpretations of my quotes and completely disregarding the point of what I'm saying.

I haven't skewed anything. I took exactly what you said and displayed contradictions. I didn't gg your posts, you gg'ed your posts. That's what I said. I'm not completely disregarding your point, I'm pointing out that it is flawed in presentation terribly.

Quote from MA
Yes I am fully aware of that. Indeed my question is "off topic" from our discussion but the reason I asked that question was so that i would hope to rather hear something new and useful. But if you don't want to answer that's fine with me. If you wish to continue "gg"ing my posts again, then again that's fine with me; I'm sure we've got better things to be doing.

You've presented a lot more irrelevant information to our discussion (disregard what the topic was originally about) than this. Once again, I haven't been gg'ing your posts. I pointed out your flaws that you just continue to ignore. All you would have needed to do was rephrase a few sentences.

Quote from MA
Let me ask you this, how have you been raised? What do your parents believe?

I think I went to a protestant preschool, so I probably went to church there however often. I don't really remember it at all though. My parents never really raised me in favor of any religion, and never really took me to church. Both of my parents believe in some type of a god, and their beliefs on anything else religious probably vary from there. Probably couldn't go too much more into detail without becoming redundant.

None.

Dec 22 2007, 5:38 pm JordanN Post #143

Quote from Minority
...you just said that far less than one percent of those people managed to stand up to the cult leader... How does that help your argument that most people can overthrow their beliefs?

Well in this case she didnt want to die for the leader so she spoke against Jim Jones. But if the others decided to listen to her rather then the man then they would of overthrown their belief. But as I mentioned before how they were brainwashed they chose death over freedom. It just shows that even though there were over 900 people at least one person refused to abide by the cult.

'the standards of free will'
What?
As in when you said extent it contradicts it.
the doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces.

There can't be an extent because all have that ability and any human can use it even if it means their life but at least they die a free person.

None.

Dec 22 2007, 11:13 pm MillenniumArmy Post #144

Quote from me
You are making the same mistake many people are making; making general assumptions about religion and what it does as a whole based on your personal opinion and observations and for some, pretending that they've never encountered such people that are different from what they've assumed.
This was referring to me thinking anti was making assumptions about what religion does harmfully to people as a whole. Afterwards he replied saying that he was not doing so. So that becomes the end of that.

Quote from me
You do realize that children are able to make choices for themselves later on right? Infact, most christians I know come from atheist or buddhist families. What's more, their parents even forbade them from going to church or believing in God. But now that they're away from home, they go to church everyday. What becomes the indentity of a child does not depend on whether they are religious or not when growing up as they could become anything once they can think for themselves.
Now you were saying how my examples didn't relate to one's (dis)belief in god or religious affiliation and so now I'm showing how his didn't either. This becomes a different issue from what my first quote was replying to. This is now responding to how religion affects the identity of a child in the sense that being taught religious things will automatically make you religious. I only provided examples of how it sometimes doesn't turn out that way. When I said that religion does not affect the identity of a child, it was meant in the context that being taught religious things won't always make you religious. Otherwise, had I truly meant that it does not affect the identity of a child at all, I would be contradicting and "gg"ing myself because as we all know, religion sometimes does affect the identity of a child (but how they are affected or influenced becomes a different thing). So yes what they were taught sometimes does have affect in what they become, but it doesn't always lead in favor of one side over another, which is the main point that I was trying to make. For instance, a child can be taught religious things and then use those teachings as grounds to stand firm in their beliefs. Likewise, a child can use those same teachings taught as grounds for why they would not believe in God or not be affiliated with any religion. My quote was responding to the statement saying that when a child is taught religious things, they will turn out to be religious (and in short, become harmful). This is probably where the miscommunication occurred. But now that I look back at this post, you're right maybe I should have been a little more careful in my choice of words.

None.

Dec 23 2007, 4:41 am Falkoner Post #145

Quote from AntiSleep
Almost all religion is harmful to the critical thinking skills and even the identity of a child, and is a huge waste of time and money for adults, religion means lost productivity for society, and lost leisure time for individuals, spent feeling guilty and subservient. This is real harm, I singled out fundamentalism because of the threat of crusades and jihad. That is the start religion's negative influence on the goals of a community, and the self determination of children. If you think want to define every belief with any negative side effect as fundamentalist, along with the people that hold those beliefs, go right ahead, but that definition would include a vast number of people.
Religion is what gives people morals, and society doesn't function half as well without any good morals.

Quote from AntiSleep
All I said is that there are parts of non fundamentalist religion that are harmful, justifying my earlier choice of words. I did not say it in the first place because it is easily misinterpreted, as you have just shown.
Yes, in a perfect world where everyone chooses to do good of their own will, then logically, religion is wasting time, but for one, this is not a perfect world, and two, whether or not it logically makes sense, there is a god.

Quote from Dapperdan
Even though you're arguing against something that wasn't even said, I feel to the need to point out that your example doesn't even relate. You would be trying to make generalizations about atheists based off things they have done in parts of their life that have nothing to do with their choice not to believe in a god. Anti's examples were actually relating things people do in relation to their religion. What you did would be like me saying, "I know this one doctor who was a real sarcastic asshole when I met him at the bar. (ad nauseum) Based off these observations, can I say that doctoring in general is unhealthy and harmful?"

Correct. It doesn't make any sense. You're trying to say that people shouldn't make opinions based off just their own selective experiences by saying what you said, as if Anti was doing that. In turn, you ended up saying something completely and totally flawed in an entirely different way as well. I think I finally articulated this the way I wanted.
Is being doctors the common factor in all these people with screwed up lives? No, so his examples do make sense.

Quote from Antisleep
Free will is to a large extent an illusion. We are shaped by our environment fare more than most of us care to admit. The answer you get to the question will depend largely on the beliefs of the parents, the more crazy the belief, the more likely it is to be passed on with defense mechanisms intact.
And yet you can still change what happens to you, it's not like it is set in stone, even if it is more difficult to change for some people.

Quote from Kellimus
Wheres scientific proof of your claims?
There is none, it's called faith, something you have to find for yourself, not from 'scientists'

Quote from Kellimus
Oh wait, I forgot. This forum is full of kids, thats right.
You're the one choosing to come to a forum for a game meant for kids, if you want adult forums, maybe choosing a gaming forum was a bad idea.

None.

Dec 23 2007, 12:47 pm Minority Post #146

Quote from JordanN
Well in this case she didnt want to die for the leader so she spoke against Jim Jones. But if the others decided to listen to her rather then the man then they would of overthrown their belief. But as I mentioned before how they were brainwashed they chose death over freedom. It just shows that even though there were over 900 people at least one person refused to abide by the cult.
That one person was in a minority (no pun intended).

Quote from JordanN
But if the others decided to listen to her rather then the man then they would of overthrown their belief.
But they didn't.

Quote from JordanN
As in when you said extent it contradicts it.
the doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces.

There can't be an extent because all have that ability and any human can use it even if it means their life but at least they die a free person.
I... see.

Quote from Falkoner
Religion is what gives people morals...
I... I'm not even going to try.

Quote from Falkoner
...and two, whether or not it logically makes sense, there is a god.
Yup, sure.

Also, Why Won't God Heal Amputees?
And the forums, where you can debate about religous stuff.

None.

Dec 23 2007, 2:24 pm AntiSleep Post #147

Quote from Minority
Quote from Falkoner
Religion is what gives people morals...
I... I'm not even going to try.

I will.

Morality, or rather ethics, within family/tribe, was beneficial to individual fitness during our evolution, simple economics and game theory show that trust and cooperation is beneficial to every long term association. Morality is natural and human, it exists because we do. Religion adds nothing to morality. It has no justification for it's authority, and can even be used to convince good people to do acts of evil (jihad, crusades, etc.)

None.

Dec 24 2007, 8:28 pm JordanN Post #148

Meh, the topic has gone completely off road. I'll think of a new subject.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8
  Back to forum