Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Brazil and Game Industry
Brazil and Game Industry
Jun 8 2010, 5:11 pm
By: Adeon
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jun 9 2010, 3:27 am Adeon Post #21

Quote from Centreri
Eh? What best universities? Never heard of any.
Exactly. It's like no one from outside other than scientists hears about them.
UFPE, for example, is an excellent university, specially for the Physics course.

None.

Jun 9 2010, 4:04 am Centreri Post #22

Relatively ancient and inactive

Brazil isn't one of the most innovative countries, nevertheless. I've looked at several programming competitions (like the ACM), and I don't believe Brazil has ever done particularly well (Russia sure did, though. :awesome:. Kicked MIT's ass. As did China). While you don't need hardcore computer science masters to make games, it definitely shows that Brazil is technologically behind in education, and is thus at a disadvantage when it comes to producing software. So, even though it might do well internally (because few go specifically for the Brazilian market, so local companies get to), I don't expect it to do particularly well internationally, because there's more competition there, with companies that are simply better at it and have better materials to work with.

None.

Jun 9 2010, 5:15 am CaptainWill Post #23

The words I see when I think of Brazil are "Amazonia; slash-and-burn deforestation; car manufacturing; gun crime; Rio de Janeiro; Sao Paulo; football; favelas; Portuguese."

This makes for an interesting comparison between Brazil and other countries at various stages of development.

Brazil needs to find a market for a domestic video-game industry before one will develop. It's not a case of "build it and they will come".

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 9 2010, 5:21 am by CaptainWill.

None.

Jun 9 2010, 8:38 am Fire_Kame Post #24

wth is starcraft

Honestly I'm quite surprised that Brazil seems to constantly slide under the radar in all kinds of industries. But...at the same time, as many people mentioned, there are huge markets in Europe, the US and most of Asia. That's a lot of the world for a company to chew on, and they're all very competitive and require a lot of resources. However, the comparative risk is probably reduced in these areas because the countries that produce games already have strong trade agreements with these other countries.

As Will pointed out, video games are a luxury. If the income or "need" isn't there, no one will indulge. And as he stated, if there is no domestic market, what would you expect international competitors to break into? It takes a small miracle to prove a "need" to your own country, let alone another one.

When I think of Brazil, by the way, I immediately jump to cars that run on sugar cane alcohol. Freakin awesome. After doing some research...9% growth in the first quarter of the year? WTG! That is incredibly difficult for most of the world to accomplish, especially the first quarter, in what is seen as the slowest economic period of the year.

need is in quotations because I'm *sure* someone is going to tell me that you don't need games. This is true. But you need to define a consumer need to fill with your product or service, so I am using it in this context.

Jun 9 2010, 9:31 pm Ashamed Post #25

Hear me Raor!!

I have been to brazil twice!! The last time I went I met some pretty good Counter Strike players

None.

Jun 11 2010, 12:27 am phlemhacker Post #26

One of my main short-termish goals is to go to school in Brazil; since I don't know Portuguese yet I decided I better study up, so I did a little research and asked a few questions and a few people said video games helped them learn English, hoping it would do the same thing for me in Portuguese, I looked for some, and found none. That said, in the next 10 years or so I see a lot of good things coming out of Brazil. They definitely have the potential to be a superpower.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 1:00 am Ashamed Post #27

Hear me Raor!!

Quote from phlemhacker
One of my main short-termish goals is to go to school in Brazil; since I don't know Portuguese yet I decided I better study up, so I did a little research and asked a few questions and a few people said video games helped them learn English, hoping it would do the same thing for me in Portuguese, I looked for some, and found none. That said, in the next 10 years or so I see a lot of good things coming out of Brazil. They definitely have the potential to be a superpower.
I have actually heard some people talking about them "being" the next super power... Right after America fails. lawlz Which is going to happen soon! ( Oil spill )

None.

Jun 11 2010, 3:45 am Fire_Kame Post #28

wth is starcraft

Quote from Ashamed
Quote from phlemhacker
I have actually heard some people talking about them "being" the next super power... Right after America fails. lawlz Which is going to happen soon! ( Oil spill )

Oil Spill was British Petroleum...in international water. XD lol

Jun 11 2010, 4:23 am phlemhacker Post #29

Perhaps he means all the resources we are putting into clean up and damage control will be enough to allow the North Koreans to take their opening and make us all their slaves.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 4:25 am Centreri Post #30

Yeah, Brazil, a country with a weak military, no cultural appeal and poor education system is going to become a superpower. Raaaht. <_<

None.

Jun 11 2010, 4:36 am phlemhacker Post #31

The United States went from a poor military to a massive one in a few years during WWII. Maybe it was WWI, well it was one of those, point being it could ramp up if it had too. Also, being a superpower doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a massive military, you can rule the world economically as well, plus, Brazil has much more of a cultural appeal than the United States. On top of that, the United States is considered a fairly dumb country.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2010, 4:41 am by phlemhacker.

None.

Jun 12 2010, 5:49 am BiOAtK Post #32

Quote from phlemhacker
The United States went from a poor military to a massive one in a few years during WWII. Maybe it was WWI, well it was one of those, point being it could ramp up if it had too. Also, being a superpower doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a massive military, you can rule the world economically as well, plus, Brazil has much more of a cultural appeal than the United States. On top of that, the United States is considered a fairly dumb country.
I honestly facepalmed when I read your posts. No. The US had a buildup of military throughout time. America has completely average IQ scores as a whole. Just like every other country. And what does Brazil's culture have to do with world power? Also, economical power and military power generally go hand in hand.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 14 2010, 7:30 pm by DevliN. Reason: Flame. ""F**k you", "You suck", "G

None.

Jun 12 2010, 6:05 am Centreri Post #33

It just hurt my head arguing with him, so I'd decided to stop. Not worth it. :stfu:. Since someone else responded, I'll elaborate: Brazil is thirty or more years behind the United States in military technology and more than a decade behind in nuclear and space technology. Every person in Brazil contributes six times less to the economy than one person in the United States. Brazil has less than 2/3 the population of the United States. Brazil has much worse infrastructure. Brazil has no cultural appeal (as proved by this thread, few here can name anything they would emulate Brazil for). Brazil constitutes 1/40th of the world's economy; the US constitutes 1/4. Random internet IQ statistics place the US average at 100 and the Brazil average at 87. Brazil is such an underdeveloped country right now that it can't teach all its citizens to read; according to Wikipedia, at least, Brazil has a 90% literacy rate, meaning its education system simply doesn't reach at least 10% of the population. The number in the United States and, indeed, in most of Europe is around 99%.

Now, let's turn back to the subject at hand, video games. No more superpower bullshit, please. A country that is underdeveloped to the extent that Brazil is really has better things to focus on than video games - don't expect a lot of government attention to that area. Brazil isn't known for its programmers. The chances of it becoming known for its programmers is very slim. Don't count on Brazil pumping out games for the rest of the world, only expect them for the domestic market, because Brazilian programmers are the ones who would find it easier to enter the market (cultural familiarity, etc). And even there I wouldn't expect much, simply because of how bad they are compared to modernized countries - chances are, the vast majority of the games played in Brazil will simply be ports of European or American video games. As it is today, all over the world.

None.

Jun 12 2010, 7:41 pm phlemhacker Post #34

Quote from BiOAtK
Quote from phlemhacker
I honestly facepalmed when I read your posts. No. The US had a buildup of military throughout time. America has completely average IQ scores as a whole. Just like every other country. And what does Brazil's culture have to do with world power? Also, economical power and military power generally go hand in hand.

Read the bottom
http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/preludeus.htm
Look at the table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_home_front_during_World_War_II#Draft
learn2history

I didn't say anything about culture having to do with becoming a superpower, Centreri did. I also didn't say anything about the United States being a dumb country, I merely said that people have the perception we are and completely average scores for the general population doesn't mean there aren't some smart people capable of making major country changing decisions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations
It just hurt my head arguing with him, so I'd decided to stop. Not worth it. :stfu: . Since someone else responded, I'll elaborate: Brazil is thirty or more years behind the United States in military technology and more than a decade behind in nuclear and space technology. Every person in Brazil contributes six times less to the economy than one person in the United States. Brazil has less than 2/3 the population of the United States. Brazil has much worse infrastructure. Brazil has no cultural appeal (as proved by this thread, few here can name anything they would emulate Brazil for). Brazil constitutes 1/40th of the world's economy; the US constitutes 1/4. Random internet IQ statistics place the US average at 100 and the Brazil average at 87. Brazil is such an underdeveloped country right now that it can't teach all its citizens to read; according to Wikipedia, at least, Brazil has a 90% literacy rate, meaning its education system simply doesn't reach at least 10% of the population. The number in the United States and, indeed, in most of Europe is around 99%.
Brazil has a higher HDI index than China managed to become what could be considered a superpower, why can't Brazil? On top of that, they did it economically, while they have the largest amount of troops, they don't use them for anything.
http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

Almost forgot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 14 2010, 7:30 pm by DevliN. Reason: Editing quote.

None.

Jun 12 2010, 10:43 pm Centreri Post #35

Please cut out your stupid topic-changing. This topic is about the Brazilian gaming industry.

If you don't see the difference between China and Brazil, that's sad. And I'm not going to argue further with you. No more superpower bullshit, please.

None.

Jun 13 2010, 8:06 am phlemhacker Post #36

Quote from Centreri
Please cut out your stupid topic-changing. This topic is about the Brazilian gaming industry.

If you don't see the difference between China and Brazil, that's sad. And I'm not going to argue further with you. No more superpower bullshit, please.

Saying we should stop bickering and start getting back on topic would work better if you didn't add quips like the one above in the exact same post as the one telling me what the actual topic is. Things like that only invite further argument.

Status update: The Brazilian gaming industry is still non-existent.

None.

Jun 16 2010, 2:30 pm Ashamed Post #37

Hear me Raor!!

I have been to brazil twice.. Its the most awesome place I have ever seen. ( And I partied in a mansion, so there are rich people too! )
I would love to live there! :)
I would play games!

... The only reason I talked about brazil being a super power is because phlem is really not the first person that I have heard that from. So obv there are some reasons that make "some" people believe it could happen.

I think this has already been posted! but w/e
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers
Obv a lot of people believe this to be true.. I am sry cent but you are wrong!

1960 and 1980 Brazil doubled its per capita income ( i dunno about you but doubling your income in 20 years seems amazing... ) America has doubled our debt.. in less of a time.
When I went in 2002 or around there, Their dollar was about 75 cents to ours.. So they were not very far behind.

( Kame I am pretty sure the contractor was American... And just because it was BP. Does not mean we are not being blamed for it. We are the greedy americans that need the oil )

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 16 2010, 5:29 pm by Ashamed.

None.

Jun 17 2010, 4:41 am Centreri Post #38

Nigerian GDP quadrupled in six years. That's several times faster than Brazil. Is Nigeria now a superpower? If you're going to argue with me, come up with a better argument than that. Don't link Wikipedia articles and expect them to make a point for you: I'm not arguing with an article, I'm arguing with you. That article has no information - it's simply an amalgamation of what several random people think on the matter. Which is irrelevant, because they also seem to avoid using any statistics other than growth statistics to prove their point (and as shown with Nigeria, growth statistics are irrelevant). If the standard of what a superpower is set to the USSR and the US, then you're simply wrong. No country apart from the United States has the control enjoyed by the US and USSR in the Cold War - not China, not India, not Russia, certainly not Brazil.

Did you really just try to compare Brazilian currency to American currency and use that as an argument for - anything? HOW IS THAT RELEVANT? Currency value is based on the state of the economy and the supply of money. If the United States magically made a New Dollar equal to ten dollars and efficiently redistributed everything, the United States would not be ten times richer! It would not be ten times stronger. It would be the same.

My head is going to explode at some point. Honestly.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 17 2010, 5:43 am by DevliN. Reason: Link broke somehow after my last edit. Fixed.

None.

Jun 17 2010, 5:51 am ClansAreForGays Post #39

I was on Cent's side till I read the wiki link. Brazil 1, Cent 0

Jun 17 2010, 12:33 pm Centreri Post #40

Now you're just trolling. :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum