Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: We require more ISOM Terrain
We require more ISOM Terrain
May 21 2010, 4:19 am
By: PoisonHunter  

May 21 2010, 4:19 am PoisonHunter Post #1

It seems that a multitude of maps coming out are creating more WC3-esque maps than Starcraft ones. They make terrain and ramps face left, right, up, down; and they also are using the hill tools a lot to make terrain bumpy, or to add hills or mountains.

This is madness I say!

Now yes, I know that many are coming from WC3, and that I need to accept this fact. However, I would gladly welcome more maps that are in an isommetric direction and don't change the camera to 3rd person. I am sorry, but the WASD movement seems to be going stale.

None.

May 21 2010, 3:33 pm 13Stallion Post #2

Quote from PoisonHunter
It seems that a multitude of maps coming out are creating more WC3-esque maps than Starcraft ones. They make terrain and ramps face left, right, up, down; and they also are using the hill tools a lot to make terrain bumpy, or to add hills or mountains.

This is madness I say!

Now yes, I know that many are coming from WC3, and that I need to accept this fact. However, I would gladly welcome more maps that are in an isommetric direction and don't change the camera to 3rd person. I am sorry, but the WASD movement seems to be going stale.

Welcome to the 21st Century, you won't find many more games with iso/square terrain anymore lol... To be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a shit about terrain. It really doesn't matter to me. So I appreciate isommetric maps just as much as ones that took 2 weeks to terrain. Its the gameplay that counts.

Regarding the FP/3rdP cameras, I agree. Everyone is going crazy because this is the first chance everyone has at making a custom game like that. Honestly I don't think that the 3rd person games in SC2 are any good.... but thats coming from a RTS gamer. They look cool because its never been done, but yea the gameplay is going to be crap, with minimal strategy required. Just point & click.

None.

May 21 2010, 9:41 pm DavidJCobb Post #3

There could be a lot of strategy to 3rd-person shooters. It all depends on what abilities the player is given, the level design, and the enemies' AI. Someone could easily make a 3PS where you need to plan engagements before entering them, and think quickly and strategically if something goes wrong. There could even be a macro component to 3PS. I seem to recall some open-world game in the style of GTA, where destroying armories (or something like that) led to certain groups of enemies having weaker guns, for example. Stuff like that could easily be done in SCII.

...Or were you referring to 3rd-person RTS maps?

None.

May 21 2010, 10:20 pm 13Stallion Post #4

Actually come to think of it, the Rainbow Six series was probably the most strategic 3PS I ever played. Planning your route in building, equipping your characters, ordering your AI allies, and having razor-sharp reflexes.(and of course, try not to accidentally shoot the hostages :D

But other games like Star Wars Battlefront are just massive frag-fests, still fun though, but get boring fast.

None.

Options
  Back to forum