Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Halo: Reach
Halo: Reach
May 4 2010, 10:17 pm
By: Forsaken Archer  

May 7 2010, 11:21 pm DavidJCobb Post #21

And I said that's a cooldown. A cooldown is the minimum length of time that the player needs to wait after using an ability before they can use it again. You mentioned that there is "lag" between each shots in the DMR, and now you say it's a delay. There is no lag between shots from the DMR, unless the game is lagging and therefore all guns will suffer the same consequence. You specifically mentioned the DMR has "lag", which is related to network and latency problems, not cooldown or "delay" in your terms. And now you say that it's not your connection neither your skill. You appear to contradict yourself. You mention that there is lag, but you say it's not your connection.

As for the word "delay", I have never experienced a delay from the DMR at all.
I was using "lag" as "slowdown", like, "Ooh, Starcraft is lagging behind, shouldn'ta bet on him!" Sorry for the confusion. And if it's the first time I've fired the DMR since spawning and there's a delay, that's not cooldown.

Yet grenades allowed easy kills around corners, or have the grenade explode and kill multiple targets at a time.
Only a problem on crap maps, like Construct.

Why are you changing the purpose of what sprint would do? I said that sprint allows players to run away and take cover. Your argument points out when you spawn, you're saying sprint is worthless. I did not mention spawning, now did I? Your argument is nothing more than saying good luck when you're out in the open. And you used that argument against my argument where I mention that sprint allows players to take cover and survive? What?
Sorry, got mixed up as to what you said. I'll concede that my Sprint argument was irrelevant.

Quite personally, I believe DMR takes more skill than the Battle Rifle. And while DMR stands for Designated Marksman Rifle, that proves that you require marksmanship.
I'll admit that I wasn't a pro, but I was a damn good shot in SWAT with a BR nonetheless. In both 3 and Reach, I'm on the same controls (Bumper Jumper), I'm on the same look sensitivity, I'm shooting from the same types of ranges... In terms of aiming, the only difference is four degrees of magnetism and one degree of bullet bending -- in other words, a difference so minuscule that the human eye can't even perceive it. Neither game had hitscan weapons, so bullet travel time isn't an issue. And my aim hasn't worsened since moving to Reach. Nothing about my aiming has changed, but there is a delay, and because of that, I can barely even get fricking body shots with the DMR! (The reduced magazine size, lack of a tri-bullet burst, and slower rate of fire are annoying as hell, but even those aren't the main factor in my inability to score any headshots save through absolute pure luck.)

(A fractional-second delay may not sound like much, but when I get used to something, I get used to it, ya know?)

None.

May 7 2010, 11:39 pm ShredderIV Post #22

David, I have yet to value your opinion on swat at all ever since you claimed that you have to lead someone by 3 feet in order to hit them with the DMR.

1. There is no delay on the DMR between hitting the button and the bullet being fired. It's all in your head, 100%.
2. Although the pistol offers a higher rate of fire and such, the DMR has proved to be better at long distances, and in situations in which you dont get a headshot, the DMR is better.

You seem to have this big thing against the openness of the maps as well. Many times when i'm playing SWAT, I spawn outside of anyone's view, and they purposefully made the map that way. There is no spot on the map that can see the whole rest of the map.

I really don't care if you dont like swat, but stop making false claims about it. So far, from what i've seen you say, it just seem like you're not that good at it, and hate it because you're frustrated and have been having a hard time doing well on it.

I personally like the DMR much more than the pistol for swat most of the time. It's much better for long distances, and has a much better zoom and reaction for making headshots on sprinting targets.

And this is from a guy who frequently gets 13-14 kills in good swat games, with about 90-95% of them being straight headshots.

None.

May 7 2010, 11:58 pm DavidJCobb Post #23

Important edit.
Sorry if I'm coming off as butthurt/a dick/an idiot... It's just that I'm really upset about this. Regardless of the reason, the fact remains that what was my favourite gametype is now completely unplayable for me. (If it were playable for me, I'd love it even more than I love Covie Slayer.)

End of important edit.

I'll say it again.

Nothing has changed between Halo 3 SWAT and Halo: Reach SWAT except for the maps and weapons.

Controls are the same (since I'm on Bumper Jumper), and the near-infinitesimal amount of "help" H3 game you (five degrees) is gone. Bullet time: not a problem. Look sensitivity is the same. Distances are mostly the same, even in terms of height -- so map differences aren't even a problem, aside from the fact that I always spawn on the Cement Path when there are five guys on rooftops watching that exact spot.

Only meaningful difference, then, is the weapons.

Now, DMR's differences from the BR, minus the delay: bloom, single-shot, smaller clips, slower rate of fire.

In SWAT, the goal is to kill someone in one shot. I could pull that off with a BR -- easy. Bloom? Single-shot? Slower rate of fire? None of those are an issue. Smaller clips are only an issue if you actually manage to live for a while, which I can't -- but they're not the cause of my short lives, and hence they are not an issue.

So if there's no delay, then I'm literally just bad for no reason, despite the fact that the gametype is more or less identical to the Halo 3 version, which I was fairly good at. So apparently, my skills have mysteriously and suddenly declined for no logical reason whatsoever.

Or there's a delay.

BTW the openness of the maps wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't at least a fifty-fifty chance of spawning in full view of someone's scope. Maybe they just memorized the spawns. Maybe the spawns suck. Maybe lady luck is a bitch and hates me. (Actually, that one sounds like the most likely.) But either way, the spawns turn the openness from something to be valued into a problem.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 8 2010, 12:40 am by DavidJCobb.

None.

May 9 2010, 1:23 am KrayZee Post #24

Anyways.

I have tried Invasion and it was interesting. However, Bungie claimed that Boneyard is one of the largest multiplayer maps they have ever made. I find that false, the map only have two medium sized sections I personally believe Blood Gulch/Coagulation to be just as large as Boneyard based on travel. Containment from Halo 2 appears to be larger than Boneyard.
And like Rush maps from Battlefield Bad Company 2, a successful assault will lead to open the next area of the map, leaving the previous area obsolete. It's more like Squad Rush based upon how short Invasion actually is, but instead of a 4 on 4, it's a 6 on 6. Unlike Squad Rush, there is about three colored teams at each side. And yes, you do spawn behind a teammate but only spawn behind a teammate at the same color.
I also find it irritating how an Xbox Live party of six players, they happen to be at separate teams. For example, my friend and his friend is at the Covenant team while my friend's friend from the Xbox Live party and I were on the Spartan team. It's also nice to see new loadouts at each Phase. But in comparison and similarity to Rush, I like Rush better based on its longevity.
Invasion is more comparable to Squad Rush, and in order for the losing team to lose is to lose all of their lives. In Invasion, the only way for the offensive to lose is a set amount limited time they have. Judging from this, Invasion can be much shorter than Squad Rush.
Although unfair when comparing to Battlefield Bad Company 2, the level pathways in Boneyard that leads to objectives is very linear. In Rush, they are multiple ways, and you can even destroy buildings to make it easier for players. Boneyard appears to be just as linear compared to the Assault game mode, where you bring a bomb and arm it at the enemy base.

I appreciate that on Phase 2 and Phase 3, Spartans can spawn inside an area and take either a Tank or Warthog. They can also choose their spawn location such as one spot or another, or even behind the same colored teammate. When spawned, they can never go back into the respawn area. But it's stupid how the defensive Spartans can easily steal vehicles from the Offensive Elite team. And also, when someone disconnects and the game turns stops to find a new host, the Covenant will lose their vehicles/weapons they picked up (Or perhaps it was the Spartan team, I'm not sure).

While Invasion is unique and new in the Halo universe, Bungie gave away too much hype for Invasion. I was not impressed, other than different loadouts at each Phase.

I haven't tried Invasion Slayer, but I heard it has the same three phases, and the limit is up to one hundred kills. Which is definitely shorter than Rush from Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 9 2010, 1:29 am by KrayZee.

None.

May 9 2010, 3:05 am OlimarandLouie Post #25

I got an overkill by deflecting a rocket back at the enemy team with my shield-thing in my very first game :awesome:

None.

May 9 2010, 4:30 pm DavidJCobb Post #26

[deleted]

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 5 2018, 4:01 am by DavidJCobb. Reason: some of this was just vile

None.

May 17 2010, 4:01 pm KrayZee Post #27

As for the Generator Defense, it was okay. It awfully does remind me of Far Cry from the PC. But I questioned myself, why are there so many classes to choose from but only three players at each team?

None.

May 17 2010, 8:18 pm DavidJCobb Post #28

I like GenDef, though I find it odd that the Splaser is about as powerful against a genny as a melee.

None.

Options
  Back to forum