Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: How to detect when a player is attacking?
How to detect when a player is attacking?
May 1 2010, 8:06 pm
By: Jesusfreak  

May 6 2010, 2:25 pm Jesusfreak Post #21

Quote from rockz
Waits are useful in hyper triggers and in simple triggers. When displaying a series of texts, it's nice to just use a wait and save a few triggers.
Wait, really? Dangit, I had already changed it to death counters XD. I had come up with a system... one death timer would detect how long a conversation had been going on, and another death counter would detect which conversation you were in (so each amount of deaths would represent a different conversation).

None.

May 8 2010, 12:06 am rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Suffice it to say, death counts are almost always more versatile than waits. You couldn't have come up with this "system" using waits, as once a trigger starts, it can't be stopped (unless you use wait blocks). You made a good choice in picking DCs for that. I always recommend DCs over waits, even in music.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 11 2010, 10:23 am StarBlue Post #23

If you wish to keep the player from attacking the computer at all:
-CONDITION- always
-ACTION- Set player 7 to ALLY
Preserve trigger

If you wish for the computer to unally the player:
-CONDITION- Player 1 kills at least 1 (SPEC UNIT)
Player 7 suffers at least 1 (SPEC UNIT)
-ACTION- Set player 1 to ENEMY

Make sure you have alot of hyper triggers for the first trigger to be effective.

None.

May 11 2010, 10:29 am Aristocrat Post #24

Quote from StarBlue
If you wish to keep the player from attacking the computer at all:
-CONDITION- always
-ACTION- Set player 7 to ALLY
Preserve trigger

If you wish for the computer to unally the player:
-CONDITION- Player 1 kills at least 1 (SPEC UNIT)
Player 7 suffers at least 1 (SPEC UNIT)
-ACTION- Set player 1 to ENEMY

Make sure you have alot of hyper triggers for the first trigger to be effective.

The second trigger won't work if player 1 kills a unit and player 7 loses one of the same type of unit in an unrelated battle.

None.

May 11 2010, 10:30 am StarBlue Post #25

If each player does not have a specific unit for itself, like a normal game, then all you can do is trust the computer player can fight back, unless someone else can get that trigger for you.

EDIT:
Yes I knew something was wrong with the second trigger, I was just about to edit it, but I guess you beat me. Sorry about that. BUT, if you have the SPEC UNITs at a certain location, if a player unallies the computer, it will attack that unit in the location. That way you CAN"T lose it in an unrelated battle, try something like that.
~~EDIT~~
Here are some possible problems you may encounter, I'm just going to answer them now before you ask :)
After the SPEC UNIT dies, the computer can't sense when another player betrays them : Make more than one SPEC UNIT and place them in boxes near other player's units a fair distance apart (if using range)

Enemies keep getting to the SPEC UNITS : Make a trigger that moves all units away from the SPEC UNITs' location.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 12 2010, 5:48 pm by StarBlue. Reason: Spell Check

None.

Options
  Back to forum