Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Dvorak Keyboard Layout
Dvorak Keyboard Layout
Nov 2 2007, 3:35 am
By: Hynk  

Nov 2 2007, 3:35 am Hynk Post #1

Anyone use the Dvorak Keyboard Layout? I can type both Qwerty (standard layout), and Dvorak. And I find Dvorak easier to use.
For those that don't know what Dvorak is..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

None.

Nov 2 2007, 4:40 am Joshgt2 Post #2

I'm don't think I'm getting at what you're saying. It looks like the normal keyboard you would get with your normal PC or something. The only thing different is it doesn't have the number pad or anything like that. I guess though that I will say yes in the fact that I do know how to use that style...

None.

Nov 2 2007, 4:45 am Echo Post #3

Wow, Dvorak might be easier for people who are learning to type keyboard for their first time compared to the qwerty, but the qwerty is most well known and I think it is easier for people with long fingers.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 5:02 am DT_Battlekruser Post #4

I don't touch-type at all, so I'm stuck in QWERTY, but learning Dvorak is more and more appealing to me.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 5:17 am Echo Post #5

It would suck to reprogram your keyboards and remove and replace the key letters.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 6:41 am AntiSleep Post #6

well, who cares what the letters on the keys are, you only use dvorak if you are a touch typist.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 7:54 am EzDay281 Post #7

Eh, I think that having a visual reference as normal keyboard's key labels would be conveniant for one learning to use the different layout, as would be the case of use for the majority of people.

My brother'd been talking to me about Dvorak a couple months ago, and a little before that I had decided I was interested in learning it mostly to see how long it would take me to adapt to a different key layout, but I'd since forgotten about it.
edit: And using Wiki's picture of the remapped keyboard, I'm doing better than I'd expected after a couple minutes of practice.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 2 2007, 8:35 am by EzDay281.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 2:53 pm Hynk Post #8

Quote from Joshgt
I'm don't think I'm getting at what you're saying. It looks like the normal keyboard you would get with your normal PC or something. The only thing different is it doesn't have the number pad or anything like that. I guess though that I will say yes in the fact that I do know how to use that style...
It's not a normal keyboard layout. Most computers come in Qwerty (the letters Q, W, E, R, T, and Y are arranged beside each other, hence the name). It's designed so you type 'faster' with less repetitive stress injuries.

EzDay281: It only takes about 2-3 weeks to get up to 32wpm if you're learning from nothing.

EcHo: Reprogramming your keyboard layout is the easy (In Windows, you can do so under control panel)... if you're going to get into removing and replacing keys.. that's a pain in the bum.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 11:03 pm EzDay281 Post #9

EzDay281: It only takes about 2-3 weeks to get up to 32wpm if you're learning from nothing.
Well, I never said that my example was particularily significant. Although I do imagine that it'd be more popular if it didn't take more than a few minutes to adapt to.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 12:47 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #10

I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it. I'm already slightly retarded because I'm a lefty with the mouse, and I made a significant effort to become a righty, but in the end, I couldn't follow through because it was too much of a hinderance.

So yeah, I've heard of it, but I could probably never do it. I'm a creature of habit too, so that's another minus :(

None.

Nov 3 2007, 3:59 am Hynk Post #11

Cool! Another lefty! I actually used to use my mouse on my left hand but I got adapted to using on my right hand. Though I can still use both. =)

Quote from EzDay281
Well, I never said that my example was particularily significant. Although I do imagine that it'd be more popular if it didn't take more than a few minutes to adapt to.
I found Dvorak easier to learn than Qwerty. It took me about a year or so to be able to type about 32-60wpm on the Qwerty keyboard. And even now, after using Qwerty for about 7 years, I can still only type about 32-60wpm. I never had been formally taught Qwerty, and don't touch-type in Qwerty properly, so these could be factors affecting my typing. But with Dvorak, only being a few months, I can already surpass my typing speed than that of Qwerty. I think 2-3 weeks of taking your time to learn to type Dvorak is a lot easier than learning Qwerty in a year.. or 4 months for the little grade nines in my school (who are getting taught formally by a teacher).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 4 2007, 5:55 pm by Hynk.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 8:45 am blacklight28 Post #12

Wha? Touch-typing?

None.

Nov 3 2007, 3:15 pm Hynk Post #13

It's when you type without looking at the keyboard using muscle memory.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 3:40 pm EzDay281 Post #14

Dvorak is a lot easier than learning Qwerty in a year.. or 4 months for the little grade nines in my school (who are getting taught formally by a teacher).
Sure, that may be the case, but most people have been taught to use the Qwerty format, and after having gotten used to being able to type decently, they don't want to put up with the learning process again. Hell, I'd probably be using Dvorak right now if I had a way to relabel my keys. =P

Edit:
Whoo, typing this entirely in Dvorak. After having rearranged the keys on my keyboard.
... I always have trouble finding the 'k' key.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 3 2007, 6:54 pm by EzDay281.

None.

Nov 4 2007, 12:00 am Centreri Post #15

Relatively ancient and inactive

k

Without looking :P.
Interesting... This seems to be more efficient then Qwerty, which I like. Not that I have many problems, but it would still be fun to try another one.

None.

Nov 4 2007, 5:59 pm Hynk Post #16

I'm too lazy to relabel my keyboard. It would have been nice though so I know where the Cut, Copy and Paste shortcuts are... oh well...

None.

Nov 7 2007, 3:10 am Syphon Post #17

I like qwerty because I can type 'sweater dresses' with one hand. :mad:

None.

Nov 7 2007, 3:16 am Symmetry Post #18

Dungeon Master

I've only ever used QWERTY. I can touch-type about 80-90 wpm. Learning Dvorak would be interesting, though.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Nov 8 2007, 7:15 am Rantent Post #19

I know someone with a Dvorak-style keyboard on their laptop, they can type pretty fast. :omfg:

None.

Options
  Back to forum