Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Battle.net Today
Battle.net Today
Sep 26 2009, 6:16 pm
By: Lord Malvanis  

Oct 3 2009, 5:03 pm Black Knight Post #21

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I've yet to have someone successfully explain to me why I should waste my time on a map in strung with hieroglyphics. This leads me to believe korean map players are nothing more than fan boys.
Fan boys? Not likely... first of all most Korean maps I've seen are much better made than American ones, the only things that they don't make are probably Tactical games(like siege, etc). However your open to whatever your opinion is without seeing both sides of the story, the concept isn't hard to drill in your head after a few games. Or you can download a Korean translator, don't ask me however I don't use one I play without reading the "hieroglyphics".

None.

Oct 3 2009, 5:47 pm Polkaman Post #22

Our current Battle.net. is PERFECT!!

Besides the fact of 1/2 the population being hackers, 1/2 the hackers being drop-hackers for no reason, getting dropped from Bnet every 5 minutes, Crash RPG and Temple Siege and 100 different edits of Desert Strike being always hosted, Mass Games, mass games, Mass games, H A L O 3, H A L O 2, H A L O, HALO: WAR OF THE RACES, FAMILY GUY MASS, Hacking clans, Hacks, Stubbourn 9-year olds, Dem0nS1ayers, the fact that a map isn't worth playing unless it's Temple Siege, pubbies with 5 iq,racial discrimination, woman's rights.

Other than those small problems, Battle.net shall rule forever.

None.

Oct 3 2009, 6:49 pm ClansAreForGays Post #23

alright then black, name a korean map that I should play over temple siege and why.

Oct 4 2009, 12:40 pm Black Knight Post #24

Quote from ClansAreForGays
alright then black, name a korean map that I should play over temple siege and why.
Unknown(Map name, it has also been translated by an friend of mine). Why?
- There's much more skills than TS, the skills are also less plain. Skills are also sometimes unique instead of doing damage, not sure in Unknown's case but in some Korean maps skills can power up other attacks, stun enemies, set enemy hp to %, and other effects.
- Items
- Spawn isn't triggered like many DoTA maps, the spawn is built by the computer (normal spawn that is)
- Skill level up system
- Gameplay elements like warp gates, dimensional gates, battleships, etc.
- Computers have "hero" units which actually can cast spells and hold their own versus a real player without glitches(that I know of)
- A bit different from most DoTA/AoS maps, it's not a mirror reflection instead the "Agent Party" forces are besieging the "Seven General/Earth Union" base
- Money for destroying buildings, battleships, elites, towers, heroes(player/NPC), etc, even by computer. (I'm sure they might have this in TS)

Some of these like the siege idea is only unique to Unknown, but other DoTA maps might have a stat system like TWoE and other unique features.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 4 2009, 12:46 pm by Black Knight.

None.

Oct 4 2009, 12:43 pm Black Knight Post #25

Quote from Polkaman
Our current Battle.net. is PERFECT!!

Besides the fact of 1/2 the population being hackers, 1/2 the hackers being drop-hackers for no reason, getting dropped from Bnet every 5 minutes, Crash RPG and Temple Siege and 100 different edits of Desert Strike being always hosted, Mass Games, mass games, Mass games, H A L O 3, H A L O 2, H A L O, HALO: WAR OF THE RACES, FAMILY GUY MASS, Hacking clans, Hacks, Stubbourn 9-year olds, Dem0nS1ayers, the fact that a map isn't worth playing unless it's Temple Siege, pubbies with 5 iq,racial discrimination, woman's rights.

Other than those small problems, Battle.net shall rule forever.

This is why you "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer", not sure about the enemy part but I normally just game with friends. About the dropping from b.net issue, that isn't by hackers, that's just the server.

None.

Oct 4 2009, 9:54 pm Heinermann Post #26

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Black Knight, anyone with no merit can just bust in here and just post some crap about "Unknown" maps that may or may not exist. You either post the map to prove any of your posts or they don't exist. People don't bother to learn Korean because they shouldn't have to. I know some people who play korean maps, and don't know what the hell they are called, but they play those maps anyway.

Oct 4 2009, 10:52 pm Black Knight Post #27

Quote from Heinermann
Black Knight, anyone with no merit can just bust in here and just post some crap about "Unknown" maps that may or may not exist. You either post the map to prove any of your posts or they don't exist. People don't bother to learn Korean because they shouldn't have to. I know some people who play korean maps, and don't know what the hell they are called, but they play those maps anyway.

Actually this map exists on SEN and it's called Unknown, Unknown not meaning I don't know it's name, it's the map name. Second of all it has been translated in to English as I said. third of all I'm replying to someone not posting random 'crap".

Unknown map (translated into English) : http://www.staredit.net/files/853/

None.

Oct 4 2009, 11:09 pm ClansAreForGays Post #28

Unknown(Map name, it has also been translated by an friend of mine).
This alone bars it from discussion. We have no problem playing games in English, the argument is what map is worth playing when you can't even read it, and why.

Still, I'll converse with you on your points for fun.
- There's much more skills than TS
More spells do not automatically make a better game. TS might actually be worse with more spells, I like having 4.

the skills are also less plain. Skills are also sometimes unique instead of doing damage,
Have you played temple siege? It sounds more like you've only been exposed to Naruto Hokage Battle

- Items
Not sure I like this either. I've played worse maps that use items like SC Dota. I've yet to see items in a sc map be used fluidly.

- Spawn isn't triggered like many DoTA maps, the spawn is built by the computer
Fancy, but has no impact on my gameplay. Also less reliable as Ai's are known to do crazy things.

- Skill level up system
If you mean like you can level up your lv1 spell instead of researching a different higher one, then you gave me a solid reason here. Unlike items and # of spells, this is almost always a good thing.

- Gameplay elements like warp gates, dimensional gates, battleships, etc.
Ok you definitely haven't played temple siege.

- Computers have "hero" units which actually can cast spells and hold their own versus a real player without glitches(that I know of)
If they pull it off as well as you say they do, that's another damn good point for you. I always wanted to use this in a map, but it's so hard triggering a way to tell the hero to heal when it needs to.

- A bit different from most DoTA/AoS maps, it's not a mirror reflection instead the "Agent Party" forces are besieging the "Seven General/Earth Union" base
Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Mirror matches are inherently more balanced at the cost of diversity. It's give and take.

Oct 4 2009, 11:40 pm Decency Post #29

CAFG, you don't find it the least bit foolish that you're simultaneously chastising him for judging a map without playing it while you're judging the map he's suggesting without having played it?

None.

Oct 5 2009, 12:00 am Heinermann Post #30

I just took a quick look at that map. I can see why nobody plays it.

The map is too complicated. It's also NOTHING like Temple Siege.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 5 2009, 12:06 am by Heinermann.

Oct 5 2009, 4:56 am BeDazed Post #31

Korean maps have actually pasted Desert Strike a long time ago, people on USEast/USWest are too ignorant to learn it, the Koreans created Desert Strike based maps quite long ago, probably 2-4 years at least. But since it's Korean not much people
even bother to learn the concepts.
But did you know that USWest is filled with Koreans?

None.

Oct 5 2009, 6:15 am ClansAreForGays Post #32

Quote from name:FaZ-
CAFG, you don't find it the least bit foolish that you're simultaneously chastising him for judging a map without playing it while you're judging the map he's suggesting without having played it?

I don't chastise people unless I am speaking on evolution/god. I've played the map a few times, but if I didn't your comment would be valid though. My dislike is grounded in experience.

Oct 5 2009, 9:05 pm Black Knight Post #33

"Ok you definitely haven't played temple siege."
Actually I have played TS when it came out and v1.1 I think, however it disappointed me. Many of the characters were unbalanced at the time, Firebat could have just upped his attack, stimed, and meleed, same with Rine less effective but gains range and loses splash. Archon was weak, attack and skill wise. And for some reason when people chose Defiler they said he was rigged. So I'd figure I would go back to Korean maps.

"More spells do not automatically make a better game. TS might actually be worse with more spells, I like having 4."
There are actually combo skills like Skill 1 + Skill 1, Skill 1 + Skill 2, etc this makes Starcraft DoTA/AoS a bit more unique than Warcraft 3, yes more skills doesn't mean it's better, but there's more skills to use at hand and mostly this is a pro more than a con.

"Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Mirror matches are inherently more balanced at the cost of diversity. It's give and take."
The placement of forces is also unique and much like a real siege, of course balance might be a bit off, but you can't blame the maker if you've seen his other works. The Ai doesn't make errors, not in any of the games I've played at least.

There is also a town area where you can upgrade/buy items, if you were wondering how to upgrade and buy items. Items can help in your character build like the Rune of Mana which increases mana gain/mana max, and there's a some items I've never bought before but Items in these kind of maps generally help a bit.

"I just took a quick look at that map. I can see why nobody plays it.

The map is too complicated. It's also NOTHING like Temple Siege."
Also a "quick look" doesn't get you too deep into the gameplay. My point being is there anything in this map that is less than TS except how easy it is to learn how to play?

"But did you know that USWest is filled with Koreans?"
I don't play on West, it's usually filled with RPs, Helms Deep Annatar, and some other games.

"This alone bars it from discussion. We have no problem playing games in English, the argument is what map is worth playing when you can't even read it, and why."
I've already said it's been translated into English...

"Computers have "hero" units which actually can cast spells and hold their own versus a real player without glitches(that I know of)"
"If they pull it off as well as you say they do, that's another damn good point for you. I always wanted to use this in a map, but it's so hard triggering a way to tell the hero to heal when it needs to."
About this, NPC heroes have a lot of HP/armor but they are tough but kill able.

Is there anything you'd like to say the points in how TS is better instead of calling us on East who play Korean maps "fan-boys"?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 5 2009, 9:30 pm by Black Knight.

None.

Oct 5 2009, 9:17 pm Jack Post #34

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

1.0 and 1.1 were unbalanced and buggy. Try playing 1.4M3.2, which has comboable spells for some heroes, (more) balanced defiler, which was rigged. Archon is good, especially in the hands of the right player. Rine and fbat can tank but rine especially depends on spells, and fbat spells are pretty powerful.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 5 2009, 10:02 pm ClansAreForGays Post #35

This argument is going over your head now and you're straying from the point (why I would play Korean-TS type games over temple siege)

Oct 7 2009, 8:40 am Heinermann Post #36

A quick look tells me the terrain looks like it was from someone's ass. Getting deep into some gameplay isn't necessary to tell me how obviously different this map is. One faction is surrounding the other, and are not equally matched in objectives. I'm not saying the map is less than Temple Siege, heck I don't even like Temple Siege. I think it's trash too, but I'd rather play on a map that looks nice than a map with blocks that draw my eyes away from the units.

Options
  Back to forum