Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Map won't start!(SILENT HILL)
Map won't start!(SILENT HILL)
Sep 6 2009, 8:49 pm
By: EzTerix  

Sep 7 2009, 10:11 pm TF- Post #21

🤙🏾

Yeah, I have this problem all the time with a 256x256 map.
I think it's because the terrain is too complex in some areas, you get a crash if the terrain is really complex and the 'nooks and crannies' error if it's only slightly too complex.
Easy way to fix it is to either make tight passages from one area to another wider or just close them off completely and use a move trigger to get units from one side to the other.

🤙🏾

Sep 7 2009, 11:38 pm EzTerix Post #22

Quote from TF-
Yeah, I have this problem all the time with a 256x256 map.
I think it's because the terrain is too complex in some areas, you get a crash if the terrain is really complex and the 'nooks and crannies' error if it's only slightly too complex.
Easy way to fix it is to either make tight passages from one area to another wider or just close them off completely and use a move trigger to get units from one side to the other.

I think that makes some sense. I was making a complex area for my prison area which had very narrow openings for the prison cells. That might have contributed to the 'nooks and crannies' error.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 12 2009, 10:48 pm by EzTerix.

None.

Sep 8 2009, 12:43 am Craftstar2 Post #23

You don't need all those overlapping structure wall doodads anyway. No offense, but they look really bad in the editor. Would look worse ingame.

Look at our terrain compilations. Especially the building ones in badlands. You could learn a lot from there.

None.

Sep 12 2009, 10:48 pm EzTerix Post #24

Ok so I was editing my map terrain again making a "Labyrinth" like area. The awful error has returned. I believe because it's like how TF- said, complex terrain so I will have to make it not complex...somehow...how do you do that in a labyrinth? :P
I will try to work my way around this error, hopefully every time I make an area it doesn't start crashing again.

Also, is it possible to make it complex with doodads? I've seen people before make complex labyrinths with doodads, such as in Samurai Warriors or whatever that game was called. They used rocky doodads on grass but I'm aiming more for underground look.
I'll probably have to settle with a different looking labyrinth, does anyone know how to trick the thing so it doesn't crash whenever I make good looking terrain?
This post was edited 1 time, last edit by EzTerix: 53 seconds ago.

None.

Sep 14 2009, 2:45 am EzTerix Post #25

I finally got an error report notice thing when it said something like "close certain areas, you got nooks and crannies error" or whatever. I would show the picture of the notice but for some reason the colors got all messed up when I print screened. This is the first time it ever said that, before it simply just crashed. Did blizzard just update it or has it just finally popped up one time when I decided to check up on my crashing map?

Either way from the start of this topic I have advanced in this map a bit, but certainly slowed down since this error just has been terrorizing me. I will try to widen some areas to the extent where it won't effect the atmosphere in game. At least I know 100% what the problem is. What sort of sucks is that I deleted all those doodads for like no purpose :P. Still, good news.

None.

Sep 15 2009, 2:12 am Craftstar2 Post #26

You can't view screenshots of Starcraft using normal editors like Paint. The colors will mess up for that.

Instead, find the screenshots in your starcraft folder. Get a program like irfanview that converts .pcx files into jpeg or png files.

Also, if you take a look at the terrain forum, there's a TON of complex terrain there. You're doing something wrong.

None.

Sep 15 2009, 5:37 pm EzTerix Post #27

Quote from Craftstar2
Also, if you take a look at the terrain forum, there's a TON of complex terrain there. You're doing something wrong.

Well no dur like I haven't figured that out. Don't make this overcomplicated.

None.

Options
  Back to forum