Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Government Education
Government Education
Aug 14 2009, 6:25 am
By: Zxblqcktptyjsplkn
Pages: < 1 2 3

Sep 3 2009, 5:31 am Vrael Post #41

Quote from ProtoTank
The truth is, as the amendment clearly states, the government steps away from the issue and makes sure that religious beliefs will never interfere with the processes of our government, and that unlike medieval countries, our government may be independent of religion with no consequence.
That is not what the amendment states.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
Congress may not make any law establishing a [national] religion in the United States.
"or prohibiting the free excersize thereof;"
Congress may not make a law which restricts people from practicing their religion.

Remember the context of the situation: many people left Europe for religious freedom. At the time the idea was not to remove religion, but to prohibit the government from restricting religion.

Also:
Quote from Vrael
In one sense (though not the sense I think Jesusfreak meant), it is not is not good because it is an infringement on our rights:

Quote from name:U.S. Constitution, Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free excersize thereof;
I draw upon what I said earlier in the topic as to how it is indirectly prohibiting the free excersize thereof: http://www.staredit.net/169526/

None.

Sep 3 2009, 8:09 pm ProtoTank Post #42

I did not say, nor did I say that the Amendment said, that the idea was to remove religion. I simply said that the idea was for the two entities to be independent of each other.

So while a politician makes decisions about his country, he does not have to do so under the influence of a religion that he does not endorse. Instead, he may make logical decisions about his country... and go home and worship any god (big G little g).

I'm only here because they patched SC1 and made it free.

Sep 4 2009, 8:04 am BeDazed Post #43

Actually, that is not possible. Religion is also a philosophical guidance, and a politician who is religious will undeniably have 'religious ideals'. What it realistically means that it does not officially endorse religion, and that officially, it is a seperate entity. When you get into politics, theres official and non-official (which is bullshit)- and a ton of politicians are religious- and a ton of their decisions have religious ideals included.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum