Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: When your mapping comes full circle
When your mapping comes full circle
May 13 2009, 10:23 am
By: Revelade  

May 13 2009, 10:23 am Revelade Post #1

Yea so today I was playing some impossible scenarios maps and then I come across a fan of my mount impossible map and he shows me everything. He shows me a map of his own that uses the concept of my map. The most touching part? I'm added in the lobby title (Inspired by: Revelad), well almost. It makes me feel that my time spent mapping wasn't a complete waste of time. =)

None.

May 13 2009, 4:33 pm MePHiStO_IS_GoD Post #2

Yeah man I know the feeling. Like when I was a kid playing SC I used to love playing other peoples maps and wondered if i could make anything that good. Well obviously not. But its nice to see it now when people say they appreciate my maps its, like you said, comes full circle. Maybe the last 8 years weren't a complete waste of time :D

None.

May 18 2009, 7:32 am MillenniumArmy Post #3

... we'll just say I can write an entire autobiography on this. ^^

None.

May 18 2009, 8:40 am Riney Post #4

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from MillenniumArmy
... we'll just say I can write an entire autobiography on this. ^^

Yea its a pity your triggers for dodgeball suck ;o

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

May 18 2009, 1:26 pm Echo Post #5

I barely see any of my maps anymore, probably because most of them were before 2004. When my maps were played, I enjoyed people giving me comments on it but I get tired of people telling me things like they know what they are talking about. I was young back then so I would also brag a lot and kept mentioning that I made the map. I'm sure many of the players got annoyed. I would get banned from my own maps, and most of the time in game because of the banning feature.

None.

May 20 2009, 3:37 am Norm Post #6

I like to log on a secondary account and host my maps so that I can get feedback / see how people like them without having the factor that the maker is there influence what people think about the game. I love when people enjoy my maps, it makes me want to produce more of them.

None.

May 20 2009, 3:49 am Decency Post #7

First time I felt like a successful mapmaker was joining a map of mine under an alias, hosted by someone that I've never seen before and having people compliment the mapmaker, not realizing that I was there.

The second time was a similar scenario when I was asked to join a clan made specifically for my map.

None.

May 20 2009, 5:10 am ClansAreForGays Post #8

I was viciously attacked by the MTG: Magus community for optimizing it and releasing an open source template version for people to experiment with. Now everything past 8.5b uses my template (including all the official versions). They even went as far as to contact me and apologize for everything 5 months later after actually seeing what I had done with it.

I'm curious as to why some of you are leaving out your map names, especially after saying things like clans were formed around it.

May 20 2009, 11:42 pm Decency Post #9

The first map was Speedball, it pioneered and popularized the Lock-Only sniper style that is literally EVERYWHERE today.

The second was Speed Duels, another sniper map which really is abstract in relation to the game that's played today. The clan was sD, Speed Duelists. As far as I'm aware it was short lived and the only clan for the map.

None.

May 21 2009, 4:59 am Moose Post #10

We live in a society.

It's the best when I join a hosted game of my map and get banned because the host thinks I'm spoofing. Then I whisper them and their head explodes. :P

May 21 2009, 6:11 am Vrael Post #11

Same thing happens to me with the spoofing, except I don't play my maps. I also have a reputation as a vicious arrogant bastard now with people who do play feyvern/lathirion, I really don't know why. I guess the spoofers that spoof me are all assholes. Today I was testing my rpg and some guy joined and told me that he heard I was an arrogant asshole, then proceeded to heckle me. I've had this happen before, it's quite annoying. It's nice to get compliments though. The best part though was when I would join a game of feyvern or something just to ask a friend something for a second instead of /f m, in the force name it says "Created by Vrael" or w/e and someone would be like "you made this!?" Then another guy would say "who did?" :D Funny stuff.

None.

May 22 2009, 5:37 am MillenniumArmy Post #12

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
It's the best when I join a hosted game of my map and get banned because the host thinks I'm spoofing. Then I whisper them and their head explodes. :P
I actually find that annoying :P
90% of the time I have to log onto another name to join my own maps

None.

May 22 2009, 6:06 am UnholyUrine Post #13

I can concor with what you all said except
90% of the time I have to log onto another name to join my own maps

Change that to 5% for me :(...
It is probably because I choose to not join any of my maps, because I always feel that it is obsolete and I could do better some way or another X(... It's a never-ending quest!!!

But yeah.. This is the reason why I'm still mapping today.. If i haven't had this feeling (my first was with Pylon D alpha land).. i probably would've left SC a long time ago.

None.

May 25 2009, 8:24 am MANight Post #14

Quote from name:Bill Clinton
I barely see any of my maps anymore, probably because most of them were before 2004. When my maps were played, I enjoyed people giving me comments on it but I get tired of people telling me things like they know what they are talking about. I was young back then so I would also brag a lot and kept mentioning that I made the map. I'm sure many of the players got annoyed. I would get banned from my own maps, and most of the time in game because of the banning feature.

haha. the last part of that i can relate too sort of.
iv mentioned in some of my maps that i hack and spoof n such. sometimes get banned from my own games ;D quite funny... banned myself with my own anti-hack system too lawl. funnehs.
that was a while ago when i was popular...

il come back up here soon... once i make undead Des and some more maps.

None.

Options
  Back to forum