Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: The steps in making a UMS map
The steps in making a UMS map
May 10 2009, 7:58 pm
By: Dungeon-Master  

May 15 2009, 3:19 am Norm Post #21

One thing u gotta remember to do is test w/ a lot of different People and incorporate their ideas, because usually, your ideas aren't enough to make the map good by themselves.

None.

May 15 2009, 3:25 am Dungeon-Master Post #22

You didn't saw my never finished Journey of ALexander RPG, its some mega fun man, the vHP and potion using makes it loved by all xD

None.

May 18 2009, 1:34 pm Echo Post #23

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
I got a good one, how bout actually working on it and not being lazy (99% of sen), and you might actually make one. :|
LOL! Coming from you ^^

None.

May 18 2009, 11:37 pm samsizzle Post #24

Quote from MillenniumArmy
- Decide on your mission statement. Why do you want to make a map? Instead of living life, why must you sacrifice time out of your social life to make a starcraft custom map? No matter how ridiculous (or legitimate) your reason may be, you want to be motivated.

- Who? Who is going to play this map? Public battle.netters? Friends at LAN parties? Clan members/friends on battle.net? People here on SEN? Or is this going to be something one can play by himself? Maps must have a purpose for existing, their purposes are to satisfy the needs of their target audience.

- With the previous two steps completed, you can then properly begin to think about your map. The obvious next step would be to determine what kind of map this will be. RPG? Defense? Bound? Arena? Killing? Again keep in mind your target audience when determining your map's genre. Now is where things get a bit unorthodox:

- How will you win the game? Forget the story line, forget the game play, forget that you haven't even opened your map editor. When you work backwards you have an easier time successfully completing your map. It's like completing a maze. Usually (but not always) mazes are much easier to complete if you start from the end and work your way to the front. Same thing with starcraft maps, determine your victory conditions because then you are given a vantage point and a scope of all the possibilities you can incorporate into your game play.

- Brainstorming the game play. This part really depends on your map genre, target audience, and your victory condition. This step is left for your brain to decide. It really helps to jot everything down on paper.

- With that done, evaluate your map. It doesn't have to be played or tested yet, in fact it doesn't even have to exist yet. Okay so person A has played your map, why would he or she want to play it again? Fun is NOT a legitimate reason because it's too broad/vague and everything can be considered "fun," so why should person A have fun playing your map instead of another map? Competition? Try new things? Really REALLY want to get past that damn obstacle/foe? Again, keep in mind your target audience. Replayability is the MOST important step here. This factor ultimately decides the fate of your map and gauges the "fun factor."
If you are not satisfied with what you predict this map may turn out to be like, then you'll possibly have to redo the previous step. If you see a design flaw with your given boundary conditions it's possible you may even have to start all over again.

- Now you may properly begin working on your map. Drink some beer or something while you're at it. I start with choosing a tileset, laying out the terrain, configuring units, placing locations, placing units, setting other map properties as needed (WAVs, forces, descriptions, etc), triggers, then briefing.

Quote from Dungeon-Master
Quote from MillenniumArmy
- Decide on your mission statement. Why do you want to make a map? Instead of living life, why must you sacrifice time out of your social life to make a starcraft custom map? No matter how ridiculous (or legitimate) your reason may be [..........]

I think this should be pinned in UMS assistance.

this+the rest of his post.

None.

May 19 2009, 12:27 am Demented Shaman Post #25

IDEA
TERRAIN
TRIGGER

Although, it may not always be in that order and each is subject to revision at any time.

None.

Options
  Back to forum