Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Confiker Virus
Confiker Virus
Apr 1 2009, 12:58 am
By: Conspiracy  

Apr 5 2009, 4:33 am Jello-Jigglers Post #21

My theory: They "leaked" that april 1st is when it will receive instructions to that after all the hype has died down they can send the instructions and fool more people.

None.

Apr 5 2009, 11:46 am Heinermann Post #22

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

It seems like a decent virus. Still no match for me or my [tweaked] system.

Variants B and later may attach instead to a running services.exe or Windows Explorer process.
This is what any virus should be doing, although I would probably enum all processes and attach to most/all of them.

To start itself at system boot, the worm saves a copy of its DLL form to a random filename in the Windows system folder, then adds keys to the registry to have svchost.exe invoke that DLL as an invisible network service.
Almost genius.

I don't know why the author removed the NetBIOS and removable media attacks in variant D, IMO they were important in the lifespan of the virus.
Its self-defense is a bit funny.
Variant C of the worm resets System Restore points and disables a number of system services such as Windows Automatic Update, Windows Security Center, Windows Defender and Windows Error Reporting.
I do all of this manually. :P

Processes matching a predefined list of antiviral, diagnostic or system patching tools are watched for and terminated.
Big mistake. Predefined lists are a last resort.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 5 2009, 12:00 pm by Heinermann.

Apr 5 2009, 11:53 am MadZombie Post #23

Quote from Fierce
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
So does anyone actually have this? Every computer I have encountered does not.
I have yet to experience any problems. I keep windows update on and firewall as well.

I would also like to see some source as to the hospital and gov. attacks.
The gov'ment attacks are pretty much in like every article so you an look that up yourself :( but i can't find the article that mentioned the hospital thing. Basically what had happened was... Since confiker really affects outdated computers and those 5 hospitals didn't update since every time they would install a new update they had to restart the systems or w/e. Being a hospital i'd imagine 'keeping the systems' on is a really big deal.

Sounds legit.

None.

Apr 5 2009, 12:03 pm Heinermann Post #24

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Also, "$250,000 reward" is a joke when there's this much hype about a little program.

Options
  Back to forum