ASM Help
Mar 21 2009, 7:33 pm
By: Sand Wraith  

Mar 21 2009, 7:33 pm Sand Wraith Post #1

she/her

In an effort to get as much input as I can, I posted this at BWAI and here, SEN. So, yeah.

Anyway, I'm looking to get more into working with assembly and StarCraft and plugins to make retarded things happen and throw sh*t at fans, but I've no idea how I'm going to manage it. I've checked a tutorial at CC[?] and looked around the forums at BWHacks, but I don't think I've actually learned anything. I've just gotten frustrated so far.

Bah, whatever. Here you go.

-

Standard SC limits.

How can we change the limits that have to do with in-game SC? I'm looking at:
Code
# Starcraft Unit limit: 1700
# Starcraft sprite limit: 2500
# Starcraft image limit: 5000
# Starcraft weapon limit: 100, cutoff of 80 for Valkyrie

I keep hearing about DoA's Sprite Limit Expander. Except that it's for an older version of SC. Well, yeah. That's it.

Are all of these limits defined by a single 4-byte integer each? I am I just talking trash and I have no idea what the Hell I'm talking about?

I'm desperate to find a way to upgrade the limits, write a plug-in or SOMETHING to make this limits all go up to FFFF or something, if it is 4 bytes.

I especially want to know how DoA did this, so that I can try to find a way to port it to v1.15.1.

Bleh, I dunno. I'm overexcited over all of this I suppose. v_v

Okay, sh*t. I have no idea what the Hell I'm talking about now. FFFF is a 16-bit number (or 2-bytes), right? 1111111111111111? 65535?
If I searched for HEXA 1388/DEC 5000, that would still be a 16-bit number, correct? If I changed the HEXA 1388 of Image Limit's address to HEX FFFF, would I be able to have 65535 images max?
If the weapon limit was an 8-bit integer, then the max would be in HEX would be FF, right?

LOL, my understanding of computers have gone down dramatically since I last checked.

-

If you have anything else you can share about working with ASM in SC, please do share.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 21 2009, 7:41 pm by New-.Hydrolisk.

Mar 23 2009, 4:21 am A_of-s_t Post #2

aka idmontie

...Of course its not a simple "Let's just change one value" edit... If you actually looked into it your self, you'd understand that SC places things into entries and it only has so many entries to fill. DoA derefrenced what ever referenced these to a larger area of memory (if I stated that correctly).

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Options
  Back to forum