Watchmen
Mar 8 2009, 9:46 am
By: SiN
Pages: < 1 2 3

Mar 17 2009, 1:07 am JamaL Post #41

I also finished reading it a few days ago, but have yet to see the movie... hopefully, the portrayal of characters like Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan isn't seriously misconstrued.

I second that feeling, Syphon -- Dr. Manhattan was the most relatable character. His near-complete detachment from worldly manners and consequent ease of unbiased observation seemed similar to my own view's perspective.

Rorschach was the most impressively unyielding to his line of thought: his death was not unwarranted if you consider the path the quest for the well-being of humanity was going down.

Mhmmm... incredible book, anyway.

None.

Mar 17 2009, 3:03 pm rockz Post #42

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

The blue penises ruined it for me. Once or twice would have been fine I guess, but he could have worn a loincloth the whole movie, easy. It's like the pointless underage boobs in Romeo+Juliet or Jigsaw's penis in Saw 4. At least they were one scene only. It had a good story, but it's hard to explain what makes a great movie (like the dark knight) a great movie. high 3/5.

Perhaps since I haven't read the novel, that makes me partial, but I think that it was far too confusing (what the fuck was that liger???) to be a 5/5. Typically comics have a serious lack of explanation, due to the limited dialog available, and I assume that weakness transferred over to the movie.

Most of the movies I see fall in the 3 range. Very few make it to 1 or 2 due to my ability to avoid shitty movies. Dragonball is a 1 though, ugh. That and An American Haunting.
For comparison: a few of my 5/5 movies.
Collapsable Box

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 17 2009, 7:09 pm Demented Shaman Post #43

Quote from name:Zachary Taylor
Typically comics have a serious lack of explanation, due to the limited dialog available, and I assume that weakness transferred over to the movie.
I'm sure it was the opposite because the comic had plenty of explanation.

None.

Mar 18 2009, 12:36 am Syphon Post #44

He wore a thong for 70% of the time he's on screen.

A New Hope is not, by any means, a 5/5 movie. That was a genetically engineered Lynx, and yes you miss out by not reading the novel. They had to skip over parts of the comic because if not for it, the movie would have been 5 hours long. Also, you haven't seen Dragonball.

None.

Mar 18 2009, 11:47 pm EzDay281 Post #45

My point is that his mere existence in the book makes it unrealistic and that people therefore really ought not to whine about silly little things like people catching bullets.
'kay.
So if I write a story in which someone eats a watermelon whole without problems, then it becomes perfectly reasonable and not at all cheap for me to have characters spontaneously performing superhuman feats of ability whenever it's conveniant for the plot, despite emphasizing their just-human nature at all other times?
He wore a thong for 70% of the time he's on screen.
Which was less than necessary. I'm really not understanding the point of the "EVERYTHING BELOW NECKLINE" shots.
Though, personally, I don't care either way. Why everyone makes such a big deal of it, I don't know.

I didn't care much for the movie, overall. I kinda just half-watched it while laughing at the funny waveforms Farty was plotting with his sound-making program. And occasionally being amused as the people who were paying attention got annoyed when he played a loud, high-pitched noise.

None.

Mar 19 2009, 1:13 am Cnl.Fatso Post #46

Ozymandias' humanity is never emphasized. Other people whose humanity IS emphasized do not catch bullets.

None.

Mar 19 2009, 2:54 am stickynote Post #47

Perhaps since I haven't read the novel, that makes me partial, but I think that it was far too confusing (what the fuck was that liger???) to be a 5/5. Typically comics have a serious lack of explanation, due to the limited dialog available, and I assume that weakness transferred over to the movie.

You must read the book. The movie cannot compare to the book. In my opinion, the director really fucked up. This is not a generic comic book: it goes deep and has a much more complex storyline than your standard comic book.

Dr. Strangelove
That's a really good movie.

None.

Mar 19 2009, 4:59 am ClansAreForGays Post #48

Quote from Cnl.Fatso
Ozymandias' humanity is never emphasized. Other people whose humanity IS emphasized do not catch bullets.
That's deep.

I'm going to tell other people I know that I thought of it.

Mar 19 2009, 5:05 am Syphon Post #49

Quote from stickynote

You must read the book. The movie cannot compare to the book. In my opinion, the director really fucked up. This is not a generic comic book: it goes deep and has a much more complex storyline than your standard comic book.

Dr. Strangelove
That's a really good movie.

I agree, but at the same time, it's easier to go into this movie with prior knowledge, than it is to watch a 6 hour movie.

None.

Mar 26 2009, 12:33 am poiuy_qwert Post #50

PyMS and ProTRG developer

I don't see how catching a bullet is humanly impossible, just really improbable. Its called start moving before the trigger is pulled, and use your brain to figure out where the bullet will go... He was fast, and he knew she was pointing a gun at him before she pulled the trigger. And if you are going to say the bullet would have went through his hand, he could have been wearing bullet proof gloves. Ridiculously hard, but for a super athlete honed to perfection that is randomly wearing bullet proof gloves its possible.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum