Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: unit needed
unit needed
Jan 17 2009, 12:35 am
By: thunderaga  

Jan 17 2009, 5:15 am bajadulce Post #21

Flying ships and infantry units are worlds apart. Custom flying ships and buildings are a dime a dozen because they aren't animated (much). Infantry units must "walk" therefore they almost HAVE to be modeled + animated. Those modelers that do have the skill to create an animated character AND have an interest in Starcraft are really rare. SOW team, Ago_Trooper, masterofhobbiton, are about the only ones I can think of offhand. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than someone "whipping" up an infantry .grp.

... and if you do find someone, there's a certain bounty hunter and/or infiltrator .grp that a certain mod could really really use.

Your best bet is to search 3d forums and look for free models that you can render for Starcraft. There's plenty of free models out there that just need a little elbow grease to work in Scraft.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 5:33 am RoryFenrir Post #22

oooh i know all about this stuff. Unfortunatly infantry are very hard to make. I doubt anyone will make one for you out of generocity.

For modeling, i use Gmax, i have recently created a bunch of infantry GRPs for my new mod and ive gotten pretty good at the system. Gmax cant render, but its easy to use and in starcraft size you cant tell much detail anyway.

That "some angle" that the units rotate is 22.5... as youve probably noticed each frame (except for group end frames) have 2 copies. How i do it is i save my new picture over the first of the two that are alike, then i wrote a java program that saves each first to the second for all your frames with afew clicks of a button (much easier than copying, renaming, or re saving)

Its hard making a model that fits with SC units, personally, i think a mod should be all custom GRPs, or all GRPs modded from current units.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 6:45 am poiuy_qwert Post #23

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Not all units do the doubled frame thing, IIRC only zerg units do that.

Jan 17 2009, 3:21 pm ForTheSwarm Post #24

The Vulture does it, among others.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 5:31 pm thunderaga Post #25

i know this mod that i'm making will take a long time to finish but i'm willing to take ideas of building designs from people so that i know what to make in the future :unsure:

None.

Jan 17 2009, 7:15 pm thunderaga Post #26

hmmm i'll just probably work on the buildings for now and the units near the end :ermm:

None.

Options
  Back to forum