Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Starcraft Map Cracker 2.4b Error
Starcraft Map Cracker 2.4b Error
Jan 13 2009, 1:04 am
By: blacklight28  

Jan 13 2009, 6:46 am blacklight28 Post #21

Ok, so I turned McAfee off and dled the file and I put it into the folder, and SMC worked fine. But then, when i turned McAfee back on, it saw the file as a trojan again, and removed it...

None.

Jan 13 2009, 7:15 am TriggR_HappE Post #22

Lmao, this is why all the firewalls and protection programs on my computer have all been turned off. It was only a matter of time before the risk of viruses outweighed the frustration. Not that you should do that.

Try this:
Double click shield in system bar
Click properties
Select all processes on the left bar
Select Detection Tab
Click on Exclusions button on the bottom
Click add and find your SMC folder.
Make sure to check include subfolders and you should be good.

If that doesn't work:
It doesn't appear that you can add detected files to the safe list unless they're only "Possibly Unwanted Programs". In order to add it, you'd have to turn MacAfee off, download com.run, and send it to Avert for evaulation and hope they approve it, in which case they would send you a an update type thing so that your McAfee wil overlook it. This could take who knows how long and its not guarenteed they'll aprove it.

If that doesn't work/you don't care to try it:
You could upload com.run on the web at your prefered file hosting site (or just bookmark the link I gave you), and just turn off McAfee, download the file, place it in the folder, and unprotect the map(s) you want. Then just delete com.run and turn McAfee back on. You'd have to do this everytime you want to unprotect a map, but it works. :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 13 2009, 7:49 am by TriggR_HappE.

None.

Jan 13 2009, 10:27 pm Falkoner Post #23

Or try this: Uninstall McAfee, download AVG Free, install it, and you're done!

None.

Jan 14 2009, 1:36 am blacklight28 Post #24

Bleh, my friend has AVG, and it fails for him...

EDIT:
Try this:
Double click shield in system bar
Click properties
Select all processes on the left bar

More specific please? I looked everywhere that it could possibly be and found nothing.

None.

Jan 14 2009, 2:16 am TriggR_HappE Post #25

What verson or program of McAfee are you using? Is it the Total Protection Center? VirusScan Plus? There are many different versions of this software.

Were you unable to follow the instructions because they were to vague and confusing? Or were they impossible to follow because the specified buttons and tabs just litterally didn't exist?

>If they were to vague/confusing, I have no experience with McAfee, and therefore can't elaborate on how to perform each step.

>If it was literally impossible to follow, you obviously have a different version, and knowing what version that is will be neccessary for finding the proper steps.

You might want to consider finding the user manual in your software folder and look for a section on adding programs to the exclusions list. If you can provide information on what version you have, I will do my best to look into what steps you need to follow.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 14 2009, 2:54 am by TriggR_HappE.

None.

Jan 14 2009, 5:18 am blacklight28 Post #26

Aright well, I think that it's a little bit of both. The version I have is just the one provided free by Comcast so idk what version it is. I got a section with Trusted Programs, but it doesn't show or tell how to add programs to it.

None.

Jan 14 2009, 6:05 am TriggR_HappE Post #27

You have McAfee Internet Security Suite version 9, 10, or 11. Unfortunately, although they have a trusted list, there is no way at this time to add a trusted file. You must submit the file to Avert for authorization, disable Mcafee everytime you want to use the program, or get a new anti-virus program (recomended regardless of what you do lol).

None.

Jan 14 2009, 6:56 am rockz Post #28

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Falkoner
AVG has aids. That's my personal thoughts.
Quote from blacklight28
Aright well, I think that it's a little bit of both. The version I have is just the one provided free by Comcast so idk what version it is. I got a section with Trusted Programs, but it doesn't show or tell how to add programs to it.
Is this your computer? would your parents want you messing around with the antivirus? If so, don't do anything, and don't bother with it. you can disable it at any time. Otherwise, there's a few other free ones which might offer you better functionality:
AVG - I don't like the new version much
Avira - I haven't tried it
Avast! - Lots of false positives due to heuristic analysis, but has a safe file list.

Also of good repute are NOD32 and Kaspersky, but they cost monies.

Of course, the best antivirus is simply common sense. Don't download from shady sites. Don't ever run .exe files without verifying their identity. Use Firefox with Noscript. I haven't ever had a virus "by accident". Once I switched to noscript, I haven't had any adware either.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jan 14 2009, 1:47 pm midget_man_66 Post #29

Quote from rockz
Quote from Falkoner
AVG has aids. That's my personal thoughts.
Quote from blacklight28
Is this your computer? would your parents want you messing around with the antivirus? If so, don't do anything, and don't bother with it. you can disable it at any time. Otherwise, there's a few other free ones which might offer you better functionality:
AVG - I don't like the new version much
Avira - I haven't tried it
Avast! - Lots of false positives due to heuristic analysis, but has a safe file list.

Also of good repute are NOD32 and Kaspersky, but they cost monies.

Of course, the best antivirus is simply common sense. Don't download from shady sites. Don't ever run .exe files without verifying their identity. Use Firefox with Noscript. I haven't ever had a virus "by accident". Once I switched to noscript, I haven't had any adware either.

i have avira!!! ^.^
i had avast.. i uninstalled it for avira. the ratings say that avira detects more... but only like 2%. i liked the way avast handled, but I'm to lazy to uninstall this and put avast back on xDDD. avira catches what pops up every time, but its very restrictive about "custom scan" (you cant choose your own damn directory for scannage >:o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhXZo3dHulc Avg, avira, avast comparison video

None.

Jan 15 2009, 1:26 am blacklight28 Post #30

Eh, well then I guess I can't use SMC unless there's some other like version like thing for the file I need.

None.

Jan 15 2009, 2:24 am TriggR_HappE Post #31

You could always just use a different map unprotector.

None.

Jan 15 2009, 3:08 am blacklight28 Post #32

Yea I know.I use OSMap 2.

None.

Options
  Back to forum