trigger limit
Jan 6 2009, 10:30 pm
By: Toothfariy  

Jan 8 2009, 4:51 am NudeRaider Post #21

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

No you can't since sc is over 10 years old.

But you can use the starcraft standard sounds. Those just take a string but don't increase map size.

Jan 8 2009, 5:01 pm Wormer Post #22

Quote from Morphling
Wormer what map were you working on? There is most likely a more simple way to do whatever you tried to accompish in your map.
In short, the map I was talking about is a heroes-alike map with towns, gold mines and turn-based spawn system in towns. I was making the map enough time ago to forget most things about it. So I dont remember everything in details but in general I wanted to make the probablity of a unit spawning in town depending on two parameters the amount of your kingdom daily gold income and current quantity of units: the more income the bigger is the probablitiy the more units you have the lesser is it. Also I was implementing random towns growth: new houses were randomly spawned in the town's vicinity and townsfolks were spawning behind these houses and randomly walking between them. As far as I remember these were the most trigger consumeing parts.

I cant explain the system I was making "on fingers", because it is complex and even I have to spent some time to remember what I was doing. Also the explanation will take up a lot of room (something like a good-written tutorial out there or even more). If you're interested I can show you the map and triggers and what not... I would have showed everyone triggers, but it is useless, because to understand them one have to spend quite enough time.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Actually, I think he was talking about MacroTriggers, a neat way to make triggers easier that i'm sad was never picked up by mappers.
Right! Btw, if anyone is interested I am going to upload the newest version of MacroTriggers to the thread right now. It hasn't got any new features but there are few bugfixes.

Quote from name:Mayor
22:41| devilesk: also refute wormer's post
22:41| devilesk: because my texas hold'em poker map makes extensive use of
22:41| devilesk: dc counter manipulation
05:49| devilesk: also note that the sounds in the map are all virtual
Well, devilesk 8500 triggers still is not 14-20k triggers, it is almost twice fewer... But I can admit that the lag in my map *might* be partially caused by units giveing. I've remembered that I am giveing about 5-8 units each trigger loop on average and about 50 units each tenth loop.

Dont know why, but I just have a feeling that the practical higher bound of number of triggers is not flying somewhere in clouds but is near and reachable...

EDIT: Also I think that with an extensive usage of death counter arithmetic (like addition, multiplication, subtraction and division) it is easily possible to reach the amount of 100k-200k triggers... I am even scared to think what would happen then... not taking in account that the map with so large amount of triggers will be like 5-10mb in size only because of triggers...

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jan 8 2009, 5:17 pm by Wormer.

Some.

Options
  Back to forum