Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Yet Another Spell Idea Help Thread
Yet Another Spell Idea Help Thread
Nov 23 2008, 7:35 pm
By: SelfPossessed
Pages: < 1 2 3

Nov 26 2008, 2:56 am Nukes_are_nice Post #41

Mutilated Beast

Transform you into a damagefull beast with crap lot of hp, like a devouring one, but your main hero is moved in a place where he is attacked by 11 marines (or other units) with 1 dmg each. When you upgrade the skill, it kills a marine. When your main hero died because of marines, it kill the beast and create another main hero where the beast was, but with 1% hp. If the beast dies during the spell, it simply moves your hero where the beast was. So the higher your hp is, and the higher that skill level is, the longer this spell last. Note that no other spells can be used while using this skill.

None.

Nov 26 2008, 9:03 am SelfPossessed Post #42

@ stickynote

I'm not sure how a stampede would deal damage. The control required is also non existent as the stampede will just...charge the enemy.

@ ForTheSwarm

The bomb spell then doesn't really feel like a bomb. It'll look really funny as it requires that the mines be created unburrowed, after which they will then burrow, then unburrow to attack (I can't grid burrowed ones). It isn't instanenous.

That and there's the problem of timing it due to its invulnerability. If I time it for X amount of seconds, it may or may not execute properly (lotta mines can mean getting stuck). If I don't time it, then players can just set down the mines beforehand. Being able to set down the mines kind of negates the entire air unit running towards the enemy thing; you might as well set under the pet (the spell I was thinking of) or hero. It just doesn't fit.

My strafe spell does what the bomb thing does better except for a smaller radius of damage. You can control it better. It deals damage faster. It looks cool and actually makes sense.

In the end, invincible mines by itself poses problems. With its good range and auto targeting, it becomes incredibly powerful with invinc and requires no control from the player. Uninvinc mines at least gets the player to attempt to keep them alive. The only invinc attacks I currently have either require you to be near the enemies to risk damage (cloaked mutas) or require control in terms of aiming (examples like strafe and fissure and death & decay).

@ Nukes_are_nice

Player 1 is the transforming player. He has 4 transformations. Player 2 (the one I need help on) will not.

The idea of an alternative powerful form with the drawback of getting hurt also has a fatal flaw; the player can't see their hero's current hp while in that form. Which means that it's way too easy to accidentally die.

Then there's how the entire transformation doesn't synergize at all with the rest of Player 2's abilities. Dragging a form with insane hp out of danger makes no sense. Multishot cancels when you run around. Egg traps will block you if you set a wall and hurt you if you try to attack while nearby. Only the Strafe spell might work with it, but that raises the question of how a beast could still shoot arrows.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 12:43 pm JaFF Post #43

Black Hole

Creates an object at the players location (a powerup, or something else) that turns into a black hole in N seconds (where N is the time for the player to run away). The black hole sucks any units nearby in and deals high damage in the centre and small damage to anything in proximity.

ADD:

If your hero is a Ghost, can you use the nuke ability as something like an air strike? (of course, remove the nuke before it explodes and create the effect(s) there) I don't remember what is the number of loops required for a nuke to fall, but you can check out KrayZee's marine drop pod map for that info (or you can test it yourself).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 27 2008, 12:50 pm by JaFF.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 8:22 pm SelfPossessed Post #44

The Black Hole requires no micro. It sucks enemies in for you, so positioning is far too easy. If it can suck players in too, then it just gets annoying for other players who are forced to run as well.

Nukes take too long.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum