Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The Battle Of Breach (AoS map)
The Battle Of Breach (AoS map)
Nov 3 2008, 1:27 am
By: Biophysicist
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >

Nov 15 2008, 12:03 am Biophysicist Post #81

I'm PMing you the terrain now.

And Kaias found a way to make critters not JYD... http://www.staredit.net/104223/ So looks like Swarmcaster will be a Scantid after all! *happy*

None.

Nov 15 2008, 2:59 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #82

Just here for the activity... well not really

No, critters can't be picked up.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Nov 15 2008, 5:08 pm Biophysicist Post #83

...Crap. Okay, Blizzard: What the fuck?

Okay, so here are the options I have left:

1. Change Swarmcaster to a Kakaru. Dislike because then he's an air unit so I'll need to change his medic-spawning spell to something that actually works on him.
2. Change him to a High Templar and re-name him "Rouge Templar" or something. One of the better options, but I still don't like it very much.
3. Change him to a Guardian. Dislike this option for the same reason I dislike the first and because then he'll have a normal attack. An epicly weak one, but still an attack.
4. Change him to an Overlord. Dislike for the same reason I dislike the first option and because then I'll have to blind him (detectors will fuck up Temporal Templar) and give him a spotter unit.
5. Change him to a Drone. Dislike because then he'll have a normal attack. Once again, .5 damage is epicly low I know, but I still don't like it. One of the better options though.
6. Use virtual transports. Dislike because it might confuse noobs. (eg. "i walkd under teh thingy and my guy go away wtf this map gay u suck if u play it and so does obama" when he accidentally enters a transport, or "wtf why i have to make probe to go in transport this gay" if I make it so that you build a Probe [or whatever] to enter/exit a transport.)
7. Use normal transports for everyone except Swarmcaster and use vTransports for him only. Probably the best option.
8. Take out transports. Dislike for obvious reasons.

I'd prefer to use option 2, 5, 6, or 7. What do you guys think is the best option? (I think 7.)

None.

Nov 15 2008, 5:39 pm Impeached Post #84

None.

Nov 15 2008, 6:26 pm Biophysicist Post #85

Really? 2 is my least favorite option, besides 8 of course.

None.

Nov 15 2008, 11:34 pm stickynote Post #86

I think the drone is the best idea. Not too many problems, unless you leave him unattended and something attacks the drone and goes to wander off somewhere else. You don't have to give it an epicly low attack; maybe 5 or so damage. Crappy, but not useless. At least the drone can kill spawned units, if you're careful and attack when they're at low life.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 2:13 am Pigy_G Post #87

spotter unit

Map revealer?

And where's the terrain? I gots no PM from joo.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 2:24 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #88

Just here for the activity... well not really

Change him to drone.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Nov 16 2008, 2:44 am stickynote Post #89

And where's the terrain? I gots no PM from joo.

I'll PM it to you.

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Change him to drone.

Using the high templar doesn't seem like such a good idea, since it is used in a spell. The Kakaru is a terrible idea; using critters just isn't an option since they are difficult to work with. The gaurdian is slow as hell; some swarm caster if it can't even catch up to its victim. Overlord is for the same reason as the previous and that it is an air unit.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 3:47 pm Pigy_G Post #90

Are the paths supposed to EVER touch... It's like how do you move over to a base if you have to go all the way around?

None.

Nov 16 2008, 11:38 pm stickynote Post #91

I don't know. I guess tassadarzeratul wanted it that way. I think the idea was that you needed a transport to get across lanes more efficiently.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 12:25 am Pigy_G Post #92

Le Gay.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 7:40 pm Biophysicist Post #93

Well guys, I managed to get myself grounded for quite a long time, so I guess this map is going to be delayed a bit.

Pigy_G, if you want to make a different version of the terrain, you can, btw.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 3:46 am stickynote Post #94

I was suddenly struck with realization on a decent aiming system that doesn't require the use of darkswarm/d-web or mind control.
When the player casts a spell that requires that ti target a hero, create a mobile grid over the player's hero. Then, an invisible flying unit owned by the player (which should be hot-keyed for ease of use) is ordered (by the player) to move in the direction of their choice (north, west, east, south, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest). From there, a larger grid is created that centers a location on the area within range of the spell that is in that general direction. From there, a hero is chosen to take damage. I thought this was kind of cool, in that you can dodge spells, and that it is possible to give heroes closer to the player's hero priority (as if that hero got in the way and absorbed the blow).

None.

Nov 19 2008, 3:04 pm Biophysicist Post #95

I'm not sure I understand... Please explain again.

I'd stick with the mind control thing though, because it's easy to explain ("Select your Dark Archon and cast Mind Control to select a target."), won't confuse noobs, and won't glitch up if there are other units nearby like a mobile grid might. The DA might spawn in a weird place, but unless there are so many units in the area that it can't spawn (which is very unlikely) it will work fine. (And the players can hotkey the DAs: each player has one that is recycled forever.)

None.

Nov 19 2008, 3:18 pm Impeached Post #96

Sticky means an 8-directional ability aimed by movement. I.e. move up and right, it aims up and right.

I did something like this long ago for a 'jump' (teleport) ability. Was coolio.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 3:22 pm Biophysicist Post #97

I don't like that for the aiming system, it's too easy for it to glitch and pretty easy for people to get confused or accidentally shoot the wrong way. I'll stick with the DA system. I am using that for Raynor's Ion Thrusters tho. Maybe for Brood Warrior's Tunneling spell as well.

I just realized something tho: Kerrigan's Throne (the Queen) won't be able to spawn a DA to aim Parasite when it's over water! Suggestions? I'm thinking of using a Scourge to aim it, but there's probably something better.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 1:06 am stickynote Post #98

That's one problem. I just realized another one. After aiming your spell at the hero, who's to say that the units spawned to attack that hero won't attack other unit?

None.

Nov 20 2008, 2:08 am Biophysicist Post #99

Most if not all of the units spawned for damage spells are melee, so the chance of that is low. I could also briefly ally the player to all the other enemy players if you think that's necessary.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 2:14 am stickynote Post #100

It's up to you, but it would suck ass if you were about to kill a hero, and one of the spawned units decided to attack a spawned unit.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >
  Back to forum