Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: My First Time With Terrain
My First Time With Terrain
Oct 15 2008, 12:49 am
By: NothingZ  

Oct 15 2008, 6:37 pm lil-Inferno Post #21

Just here for the pie

• Sprites are bad, unless needed.
  • Try to stick to pure blends, and use sprites as little as possible, unless making a truely unique piece in which they're for effect. Digging through the tileset index will help you find the right blend.
  • How many sprites did that ice piece use?
  • On your building piece, it wasn't really necessary to have the tree sprites at the bottom, it should've just been surrounded by asphalt.
  • Observe others, it's what I do and it really helps you learn.
  • When taking screenies, never -EVER- have the grid on. In fact, your grid should never be on, only when placing units or sprites somewhere for precise positioning.
  • ???
  • Profit.

Oct 15 2008, 9:53 pm Fwop_ Post #22

Quote from lil-Inferno
  • Sprites are bad, unless needed.

Terrain is bad, only use it if you need to use it.
Seriously though, I don't know why most you think of sprites so negatively. Just because they can ruin work (omg terrain can, too) doesn't mean they should be advised not to be used. Instead, they should be advised to be used more creatively and sparingly.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 10:29 pm Falkoner Post #23

Yeah, but too many people overuse sprites and rely on them as a crutch, when with a bit more effort they can get it to look just as good. Not to mention, you have a 499 sprite limit, so if you go so heavily on them on a large-scale map, you're screwed.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 10:37 pm Fwop_ Post #24

That doesn't you mean should avoid them like the plague.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 10:40 pm Falkoner Post #25

That doesn't you mean should avoid them like the plague.

I'm not saying you should, I mean, just look at some of the terrain I've done, I use sprites, but you should always search for a blend before resorting to sprites, not only because it often looks better, but because it might end up helping you in the end by finding that certain blend.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 10:57 pm Fwop_ Post #26

I agree that you should always look for a blend before placing a sprite to cover up any blockiness, but how often do you give that advice? What I usually see is "never use sprites." Why not just give tips on how to use them properly instead of advising against them? You act as if sprites are bad things.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 11:18 pm Falkoner Post #27

I agree that you should always look for a blend before placing a sprite to cover up any blockiness, but how often do you give that advice? What I usually see is "never use sprites." Why not just give tips on how to use them properly instead of advising against them? You act as if sprites are bad things.

Please find somewhere where I ever said "never use sprites" I've always been a bit down on them, but I don't say to never use them.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 11:26 pm Fwop_ Post #28

I shouldn't have said never use them, but more of "What I usually see is constant negativity, for the wrong reasons, toward them."

None.

Options
  Back to forum