Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Diablo 1 Demo Map
Diablo 1 Demo Map
Aug 17 2008, 5:59 pm
By: Ahli  

Aug 17 2008, 5:59 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

D I A B L O 1

Thank goodness you've returned!
Much has changed since you lived here, my friend. All was peaceful until the dark riders came
and destroyed our village. Many were cut down where they stood, and those who took up arms were
slain or dragged away to become slaves - or worse. The church at the edge of town has been
desecrated and is being used for dark rituals. The screams that echo in the night are inhuman,
but some of our townsfolk may yet survive. Follow the path that lies between my tavern and the
blacksmith shop to find the church and save who you can.
Perhaps I can tell you more if we speak again. Good luck.

Gameplay:
  • Walk around with your Hero Unit (uh, how special...).
  • Meet Enemies while dodging them or just walking around in the Dungeons.
  • Fight with a turn based System (I made it automatic because the current "simple" battle system is boring and will be changed)
  • Find Items and gain Experience while slaying the Creatures of Evil.
  • Increase your Strength, Dexterity, Magic and Vitality

Hero Classes:
  • Warrior
  • Rogue

Items:
  • 61 Base Items
  • 52 Prefixes (max. 1 per Base Item)
  • 73 Suffixes (max. 1 per Base Item)
    -> a few thousand possible items (you cannot acces all because of the low monster levels in this demo map)
  • Wear a Helmet, an Armor, 2 Rings, 1 Amulett and a Weapon with or without a Shield
  • Carry additional Items within your Inventory
  • Repair your Items before they break. Every Item has its own Durability which can be decreased during a fight

Enemies:
  • 88 different normal Enemies try to kill you in a 1 on 1. (you can meet up to 22 in this demo map)
  • 16 main Dungeons filled with different Enemies. Every "New Game" will create up to 8 different random Enemies in each Dungeon Level. (2 dungeon levels and 2 special dungeon levels)

Changes from the original Diablo:
  • no Sorceror
  • less Spells
  • more useful Uniques
  • less Pre- and Suffixes
  • no Resistances
  • Singleplayer only
  • Items cannot be dropped
  • maybe it will cause big lags (I have no experience with DC-systems that are insane big)

Technical Details:
  • Singleplayer in Multiplayer (battle.net/ipx/...)
  • Jungle - 256 x 256
  • many many Variables used in the DC Systems
  • Tons of Triggers
  • Player can change which values will be displayed in gas amount
  • Strength, Dexterity, Magic, Vitality stats will be displayed with mineral fields
  • unprotected
  • with sounds
  • 30048 triggers

Known Problems/Bugs::
  • Repair cost can be 0 -> item won't be repaired
  • King Leoric's lair is normally in the third dungeon level
  • some center views back to the town during npc speeches are missing
  • You cannot die because there aren't potions that would heal you in a dungeon. But Pepin the Healer can heal you :O.
  • Pepin doesn't heal when he talks with you about the poisoned water supply quest.
  • You can bug the cost/sell value preview in gas, if you cast swarm north of your helmet in the inventory (green Scourge appears and stays there)

Credits::
  • made by Ahli
  • water supply area and leoric's lair are based on the The Great Yam's work
  • town's path and some dungeon wall doodads out of Payne's diablo 2 terrain map
  • Blizzard for D1 and D2 and sounds and ideas and Starcraft Broodwar and Starcraft 2 and everything.

DOWNLOAD THE MAP HERE.

Have Fun and Good Luck

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2009, 1:24 pm by Ahli.

Aug 17 2008, 7:29 pm Kaias Post #2

The fighting is very anticlimatic, I understand it's temporary, of course. Still, I couldn't walk 2 pixels before getting in a fight in that dungeon and it was pretty annoying. Maybe it's just me, I've never like games where you walk and you random get thrown into a fight. I left before leaving the cathedral. Looks very well made, so many triggers doesn't really surprise me since you can't add/subtract mineral amount.

Talking doesn't work either but I'm guessing that's because you aren't near done.

I hope it turns out well and look forward to it.

None.

Aug 17 2008, 7:37 pm Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

talking works after you entered the second dungeon level. Pepin or Ogden give you the quest introduction. After that everyone in town says something related to your quest.
At least this version shows the inventory system and the repair/sell system. Now I'm going to create a new battle system.

There will be real walking enemies like in the water supply area (50% chance that your "new game" will have that quest). Untill I created spawn systems in every dungeon level the random enemies will appear much less.

Aug 18 2008, 6:52 pm stickynote Post #4

I don't really like the fighting; it's ingenious, the way you show range in the fighting, but they're really boring. Out of curiosity, are you going to add spells? Or have they just not been completed yet? Also, something I noticed. Are the minerals your life? Because if they are, I got to 0 life, and I didn't die...

None.

Aug 18 2008, 7:37 pm Ahli Post #5

the fighting will be changed. atm it's just boring. xD
and yes, there will be spells

Aug 18 2008, 8:14 pm MadZombie Post #6

Uh, maybe its just me or i broke something but nothing happens. Like i mean everything thats not on the map (picking new game, auction button, inventory thing) work but thats it... am i supposed to wait for something? im assuming i should be ale to go to the cave in the upper left part of the map or the temple place north of where you start but its like their are no triggers or they are turned off. What am I doing wrong? D:

None.

Aug 18 2008, 8:47 pm Ahli Post #7

in south there is a dropship with an action button. use it...

Aug 18 2008, 9:05 pm blac_k_night Post #8

yo ahli why didnt you name your locations, how do you remember whats what?

None.

Aug 18 2008, 9:34 pm stickynote Post #9

Because he needs all the strings he can get.

None.

Aug 18 2008, 10:06 pm MadZombie Post #10

Wow i need glasses, i could've sworn that said "auction".

None.

Aug 18 2008, 10:53 pm Ahli Post #11

Quote from blac_k_night
yo ahli why didnt you name your locations, how do you remember whats what?
Quote from stickynote
Because he needs all the strings he can get.
In the end yes. But I think trigedit uses the real location names. so I cannot rename all location before adding all triggers to the map.

I'm using a text editor (notepad++) with macros to write the triggers. I remember what is what while watching on the map since I write the triggers in an independent window. ;P

Aug 23 2008, 7:30 pm New-Guy Post #12

Okay. I just played it.

I can see the detail everywhere I look but I've spotted a few minor things that bug me.
Once you use the Action next to a person, you go to the "Select" screen. Here I think it would be more helpful in the "exit" choice was on the left side instead of the bottom. I just find that it makes it easier for me to see what it is...
It would also be nice to have some map revealers at the equipment area, so you can see the entire thing at the same time.

This is going to be redundant, but the combat system- pretty neat- is way to fast, and, well, too automatic...

None.

Aug 24 2008, 2:05 am BlackWolf99 Post #13

ya the battle system u must change O.o, u just watch ur battle wich will get boring and make it so u get in a battle less times. anyway its looking good so far

None.

Aug 24 2008, 7:22 am Kaias Post #14

Realize guys that not only did he set the combat to be automatic just for beta purposes but he is actually, as I understand it, removing the current system and replacing with a redesigned scheme (turn based still)

None.

Aug 24 2008, 1:51 pm Impeached Post #15

Why did you release a demo if you're going to remove a big aspect of the demo and change it to turn based?

It's like releasing a trailer to a movie then changing the actor for the main character.

None.

Aug 25 2008, 9:50 pm Ahli Post #16

because atm it is a really small part of the map and I wanted to show what I did already.

Options
  Back to forum