Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Polaris's 3d modeling tutorial (Complete)
Polaris's 3d modeling tutorial (Complete)
Aug 14 2008, 4:42 pm
By: Polaris  

Jan 12 2009, 3:42 am Syphon Post #21

Protip: For those who dislike block modelling, sketchup can export the type of files needed for this tutorial.

None.

Jan 15 2009, 5:42 am Fallen Post #22

Would all of this still flow right if you have parts that are not completely attached to each other? I.E. if i want to make an army of suicidal orbs but like five orbs per unit.

None.

Jan 15 2009, 8:05 pm Polaris Post #23

Quote from Fallen
Would all of this still flow right if you have parts that are not completely attached to each other? I.E. if i want to make an army of suicidal orbs but like five orbs per unit.
Yes, the only difference is that you will have to texture the different parts separately, instead of all at once. You'll see what I mean.

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Jan 15 2009, 8:17 pm Biophysicist Post #24

Couldn't you just use the Combine command? There were several different objects in one of my models and I was able to texture them all at once.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 1:59 am Fallen Post #25

I see what your talking about. I haven't started getting extremely familiar with the program but I'm going to try to go balls-to-the-wall with some designs and they might not be able to be all connected (: baby steps first though...
Is there a mirror in Wings? It would be so helpful...
I just looked at their site and the things they have there... wow... can that be done with just this program?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 17 2009, 2:58 am by Fallen.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 3:47 am Polaris Post #26

Quote from Fallen
I see what your talking about. I haven't started getting extremely familiar with the program but I'm going to try to go balls-to-the-wall with some designs and they might not be able to be all connected (: baby steps first though...
Is there a mirror in Wings? It would be so helpful...
I just looked at their site and the things they have there... wow... can that be done with just this program?
I'm sure there is a mirror there, though I rarely use it. IIRC, its on the right-click menu. You have to select a face first, then it mirrors the object off the selected face.
And yes, wings is actually a very decent 3D modeling program. Sure, it's not 3DSmax, but it is capable of creating many high-quality models.

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Jan 18 2009, 4:18 am Fallen Post #27

Hey i went through you tutorial again to test out the UV mapping. I'm almost done but I am having troubles with the fuzzy tool and finding were to change foreground. Also can you freely create a face onto another another face? Can you make two faces into one?
This thing is truly amazing i can see why you say its possible to make intense renderings.

None.

Jan 18 2009, 4:41 am Biophysicist Post #28

Look under the various menues, you'll quickly learn what you can do. Creating a face in another face: Yes, but it's in a submenu now. (Inset command) Turning two faces into one, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

None.

Jan 19 2009, 6:08 pm Fallen Post #29

Yes there is the inset command but that isn't what I'm exactly looking for. The inset creates a smaller or a larger of the original face within the original. I look to create a face without it being a similar part of another.
I got creative and i found a way... Edges>Cut (choose to your liking) (highlight the part you want)>Connect
Two faces into one: when your extrude a square your now left two squares, is there a way that i can merge the adjacent faces into one rectangle?

None.

Jan 19 2009, 11:40 pm Biophysicist Post #30

Assuming I understood you correctly, select the two faces and press Backspace.

None.

Jan 21 2009, 3:03 am BaneOfRome Post #31

Is there a way to kind of copy and paste to end up with 2 identical objects or do you need to make both and risk ending up with objects that are not the same?

None.

Jan 21 2009, 3:16 am Biophysicist Post #32

Duplicate command. :P Make sure you are in object selection mode or you won't see it.

None.

Jan 21 2009, 10:34 pm BaneOfRome Post #33

Ah, I didn't see that. Really helps the finished look of models. Thanks.

None.

Options
  Back to forum