Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Teaching Creationism in School
Teaching Creationism in School
Sep 11 2007, 6:54 pm
By: Sael
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 812 >

Sep 22 2007, 5:41 pm Demented Shaman Post #101

Quote from MillenniumArmy
No matter how dumb some religions may be, they are a VERY important aspect of various cultures and traditions around the world; knowing nothing about religions leaves one completely ignorant when it comes down to knowing about cultures and traditions apart from your own, it's like not teaching about the American Revolution in a US History class.
I agree that knowledge of a culture's beliefs and religion is important when studying things like History, because its essential to understanding how they thought at the time and their reasoning behind many of their actions, although the level of knowledge required may vary depending on what you're studying. I think learning about religion in that sense is fine, but that's vastly different from a class that would just be preaching about the religion where it is trying to get you to believe. There's a difference between knowledge and belief.

None.

Sep 22 2007, 7:47 pm MillenniumArmy Post #102

Quote from devilesk
There's a difference between knowledge and belief.
That's exactly what I've said earlier. Schools can only give you knowledge. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you.

None.

Sep 22 2007, 9:09 pm Demented Shaman Post #103

Quote from devilesk
There's a difference between knowledge and belief.
That's exactly what I've said earlier. Schools can only give you knowledge. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you.
Also, I think a religion class would definitely go more in-depth than what would necessarily be needed in a class like History.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 1:36 am ClansAreForGays Post #104

six pages of debate...... six. fucking. pages, and just ONE post mildly in support of creationism.
Srsly ppl, come_on

Sep 28 2007, 2:47 am AntiSleep Post #105

Who do you expect to support something as stupid as literal biblical creationism?

None.

Sep 28 2007, 3:10 am Demented Shaman Post #106

Quote from AntiSleep
Who do you expect to support something as stupid as literal biblical creationism?
Falkoner.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 2:27 pm The Starport Post #107

Maybe SEN is driving away the creationists or something. Or maybe there's a correlation between map makers and atheism/agnosticism.

Or maybe devilesk scared them all away with his sig. :3

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 28 2007, 2:32 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 2:41 pm Sael Post #108

I laugh every single time I see it.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 10:53 pm WoAHorde Post #109

Quote from Tuxedo-Templar
Maybe SEN is driving away the creationists or something. Or maybe there's a correlation between map makers and atheism/agnosticism.

From what I've seen, a good deal of the Starcraft gaming community is atheist/agnostic. I enjoy that fact. :P

None.

Sep 28 2007, 11:08 pm Demented Shaman Post #110

DrunkenWrestler is awesome.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 4:09 am ClansAreForGays Post #111

Quote from AntiSleep
I'm saying when there's 1 post for 1 side, and the rest for the other, how the hell can it be six pages?! It's like a really long way to spell PHAIL.

Sep 29 2007, 8:32 am The Starport Post #112

Maybe, deep down, they know they're beat and try to avoid confrontation. Or maybe they're smart, and realize that pushing their views in a place dominated by opposing views is a losing battle anyway. Or maybe they're so convinced of their own superiority they don't see it necessary to debate.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Sep 29 2007, 12:42 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 9:49 pm ClansAreForGays Post #113

for the last time, IM NOT talking about the people who think creationism should be taught in school. I'm talking about the fact that this is 6 pages of people arguing with eachother.... who all beleive creationism shouldn't be taught in school! THATS phail

Sep 29 2007, 10:06 pm Dapperdan Post #114

for the last time, IM NOT talking about the people who think creationism should be taught in school. I'm talking about the fact that this is 6 pages of people arguing with eachother.... who all beleive creationism shouldn't be taught in school! THATS phail

Well, this thread had one of those totally off-topic arguements between devilesk and PwnPirate (and pwnpirate with a few others) in it (requirement for a topic in this sub-forum I think), and it contributed to a few of the pages. That, and they were some different variations on how creationism could be taught in school, be it as in elective, not at all, etc. etc. Most of the people may have agreed with the general idea, but there was plenty of other bickering about it. It's not "phail", it's discussion. In fact, if PwnPirate were here right now, he'd call your posts useless! Anyways, I could care less.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 1:42 am ClansAreForGays Post #115

You could always "care less" you little prick, but you still end up writting essays on it.

Let's go for seven :) *Crosses Fingers*

Sep 30 2007, 8:08 am The Starport Post #116

Sure, why not.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 6:43 pm MillenniumArmy Post #117

Only the atheists/agnostics like to over talk and emphasize about issues like this when in reality there are much bigger issues to be talking about.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 7:13 pm Demented Shaman Post #118

Only the atheists/agnostics like to over talk and emphasize about issues like this when in reality there are much bigger issues to be talking about.
Yea, bigger issues like protection and unprotection at SEN! :-_-:

None.

Sep 30 2007, 8:10 pm Wilhelm Post #119

Damn straight.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 10:10 pm MillenniumArmy Post #120

I was thinking more controversial issues like whether minimoose wears yellow underwear or not :omfg:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 812 >
  Back to forum