Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Dikes!
Dikes!
Jul 8 2008, 8:55 am
By: rockz  

Jul 10 2008, 3:12 am rockz Post #21

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yeah, I only did the 16 subtiles, since this is essentially just low cliff to low cliff, but opposite. Personally, I only like the hydralisk one. A few more may be attainable by mixing/matching, but I don't have the time or the patience to do that. The bottoms are all perfect, though.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 10 2008, 4:04 am stickynote Post #22

Of course the bottoms are all perfect. I have to agree with you though, of all of them, the hydralisk one is the best.

None.

Jul 10 2008, 5:06 am EdAi Post #23

the only problem is that i wouldn't want the cliffs to be completely lined by skeletons
i'm shur the doodads have some fixes

i bet falkoner's already working on some blends
;]
at least i hope he is

None.

Jul 10 2008, 6:05 am rockz Post #24

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 10 2008, 11:16 am Hug A Zergling Post #25

Quote from EdAi
Quote from Hug A Zergling
^^ I just noticed whats so cool about it. I was just looking at it in another perspective....really cool now :D

i don't get it
o.O

did u like print it out and look it upside down? i thought it was cool from just looking at it
so...

Im use to things like Sea Structure Blend and things, and was kinda looking for that in this blend, but what he's doing here is showing us how it can be done. Like, when I was complaining of too many hydralisk skeletons, I thought that he was trying to make it all "nice and neat" when he was just trying to show us how it can be done.

If that makes sense :P

None.

Jul 14 2008, 2:35 am Zell. Post #26

wait you guys haven't seen this before??? this is super old. just saying. i prolly have this blend in one of my terrain maps.

None.

Jul 14 2008, 2:46 am SiN Post #27

Quote from Zell.
wait you guys haven't seen this before??? this is super old. just saying. i prolly have this blend in one of my terrain maps.

i dont think you understand whats going on in the pic. if you look closely at the left side the ground appears to be below the water level.

None.

Jul 14 2008, 4:22 am The Great Yam Post #28

I suppose will dissent from the opinions here: These are not perfect blends. Many of them can be fixed by simple tile changes, and some are simply poor combinations of tiles. But I do not mean this as an insult, it is an admission, of sorts. I have a hawk's eye for blockiness, and it is sometimes blinding.

However, these are also not entirely new blends. Woodenfire explored many variations on this theme, and they are scattered throughout various versions of his Crescent Dyne terrain.

Now, that last picture you posted, as well as some of the earlier ones, have blockiness "in the back" for a very simple reason: You didn't bother to match the "back" pieces to the tops. If you look very closely, you will see that there are top pieces that correspond to almost all bottom pieces (some of the high dirt cliff faces are not present as dirt-water cliffs, but many of them can be blended as well,). It becomes very easy when you recognize the cliff-faces and know all the tiles that belong to that cliff-face and how it can merge within cliffs... but by the time you will probably be insane. Sometimes I dream about terraining (and finding solutions to impossible blends).

Let me show you what I mean:

None.

Options
  Back to forum